Author Topic: 14 month old night waking  (Read 983 times)

Offline GKB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 30, 2013, 19:32:29 pm »
My 14 month old has been really struggling with her sleep over the past 6 weeks.  Up until then she has slept through the night with no issues since she was 10 weeks old and would go 6.30-6.30/7 99% of the time which has been fantastic. 
Over the past few weeks however she has had some dreadful nights where we have all only had a couple of hours sleep in total or she has woken at about 4.30 in the morning and cried until about 6.  Last night was a bad night again, where she woke up at 11.30 and I could not get her back to sleep until 2.30 am.  I tried to leave her as she has always settled herself brilliantly but this didn't work and when I went into her room she was stood hysterically screaming.  I picked her up, cuddled her and put her back down and this process continued with no change in how upset she was.  I tried sitting on the chair in her room which has worked before but this didn't work either, nor did lying down on her floor.  In the end she eventually fell asleep on me and I was able to let me put her back in her cot. 
To be honest, as she's always been so good, I really feel at a loose end and like I haven't a clue how to tackle this.  She seems to have so much going on at the moment - molars coming in, MMR 3 weeks ago and a possible developmental leap.
Any advice or suggestions?!  I'd love to hear.

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 14 month old night waking
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:44:57 am »
Hi Hun,  Hugs for the nw's.  I've moved your post to the toddler sleep board since your Lo is 14 months. 

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 07:21:28 am »
HI there, what's her nap routine?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:25:42 am »
Has LO got any molars coming through...we've had a few bad nights like this and then I spotted the molars poking through!x
Zoe

Offline GKB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 16:36:33 pm »
Hi and thanks for the replies.

She has the starts of one of her pre molars which has popped through in the past few days but no others that I can see or feel.

Since we are in a village and have a dog it has been hard to avoid her having always slept in a sling on a dog walk or in the car.  We tried to avoid it but it became her norm and to be honest that is where she gets the majority of her sleep and always has done.  If we are lucky and she is tired enough then she might sleep in her cot at home but this has gone out of the window lately.  Since she has always slept so well and slept 'on the go' I haven't really ever mastered being able to 'get' her to sleep if we happen to be at home.  This was made worse when she was very little by really bad reflux and not being able to sleep flat for quite a while.  I used to have to swing her whole bouncy chair in my arms until she nodded off - crazy  I know.
She tends to sleep twice a day or once at lunch but never much more than 30 mins in a go, a little more if I'm lucky.  If she sleeps twice it will usually be around 10.30 and again around 2.30 but varies on her mood.  Some days she has to sleep and others she will refuse and be full of beans.

Believe it or not i'm very routine led and she has always been fed on routine and had a bedtime of 6.30 which has suited her very well.

Any advice or help to offer?!  I think I really want to know how I can crack getting her to sleep during the day with ease, if there is such a thing and if anyone knows of it being common to have unsettled sleep at this age....

Thanks so much!
Georgie

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 17:16:07 pm »
If she always naps in the sling or in the car, how does she fall asleep at bedtime? Does she fall asleep independently?

Offline GKB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 17:52:45 pm »
Yes and has always been very good at it, at night.  She will either fall asleep having been breast feed (now bottle) or still be awake and go to sleep.  The few times she has been sleeping in her cot during the day is usually after swimming where she is worn out and forced to be awake until about 11.30 due to the time of the class.  It's the last few weeks that have seen a bit change in how she is around sleep. 

I tried again yesterday and today, following the really hard nights that I initially wrote about, putting her down in the day and she seems frantic and even terrified.  She stands screaming at the top of her lungs in her cot. 

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 19:57:19 pm »
From what you've said in your original post I think this is all to do with teeth, development, and the 2-1 switch. She may already be ready to be on one nap, probably at around 11.30am to start with. As for independent sleep, well there's no way to do it without crying. Even Elizabeth Pantley (author of No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers) concedes that there's no such thing as 'no cry' when it comes to toddlers. I guess you would have to choose between GW and WIWO, but I would be inclined to go the WIWO route as she is sleeping independently at bedtime.

Offline GKB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 20:31:10 pm »
Thanks so much for this help, really appreciated.

Can you clarify what GW is?  I assume WIWO is walk in walk out?  Where can I familiarise myself again with the method?  It's been a while since I read any of this.

I think you're right, I think she is up against quite a lot for a little person at the moment!  Teeth, MMR, developmental leaps are a lot and she has gone for quite a few days before with one sleep which seemed to suit her well.  It would just be great to not HAVE to get in the car or walk with the dog every time she needs to sleep as I can tell I avoid being at home sometimes so I don't have to have a battle which isn't great!

Thanks again!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 22:22:26 pm »