Author Topic: Introducing formula to MSPI baby (9MO)  (Read 4000 times)

stephanne2

Introducing formula to MSPI baby (9MO)
« on: August 13, 2013, 23:58:54 pm »
LO was diagnosed with MSPI at 4 weeks. She is now 39 weeks (9 MO).  At 6MO, I was given the go-ahead by Dr & nutritionist to slowly re-introduce soy into my diet (LO is EBF).  Several weeks later, she was tested and re-tested and shows no sign of an intolerance to soy (though we still avoid milk protein).

My supply is running low and breastmilk alone isn't cutting it anymore. I've tried fenugreek and lactation cookies, adding in supplemental feedings and to no avail. It also doesn't help that I am NOT an efficient pumper.  Even after a missed feeding, I'm lucky to pump 1-2oz where she'd normally take 4-6oz in a bottle.

So all that to say... I am at the point where we need to supplement with formula and we tried tonight... however LO will NOT take it. (She'd refused Nutrimagen back at 8-12 weeks too, but I can't blame her there--that stuff smelled NASTY!)  My doc gave us a couple of sample-sized cans of soy formula and we tried the Enfamil brand tonight and it no more than touched her lips and she was shaking her head and pushing the bottle away. I know she was still hungry though because when I put her to the breast, she ate.

Given our options for formulas are limited given the milk intolerance... what should I do? Do the different brands really taste all that different and maybe we'll have better luck with Similac's Isomil or Gerber's Good Start soy? Should I try mixing part breastmilk with the soy formula just to get her started? Or is there maybe a third option I'm totally missing here?

Offline pinkladyangel

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Introducing formula to MSPI baby (9MO)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:04:58 am »
Would you be able to use breast milk and formula. start off with say 5oz breast with 1oz formula then 3 days later 4:2 for 3 days etc until lo is taking just formula?
Our lo is dairy intolerant and went onto neocate at 5 months. It tastes disgusting but luckily lo took it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 20:36:19 pm »
Hi I am going to move you over to the Breast Feeding board for more help x

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 21:08:07 pm »
Is she happy enough taking EBM from a bottle normally?  If so, I might go the route pinkladyangel suggested and gradually increase the proportion of formula to EBM so the change is more gradual.
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 21:28:23 pm »
Some people will probably jump on me for suggesting this (pls don't lovely people :P ) but I know a couple of mums who put a bit of sugar in the formula to start with and gradually reduced it until LO would take it straight. Something to consider if mixing with breast milk doesn't work anyway.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

stephanne2

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 22:10:25 pm »
Thanks, ladies!!  We'll try mixing with EBM and cross our fingers. She takes a bottle of EBM like a champ--but the thought of losing EBM if she doesn't like it mixed with formula makes me so nervous since I'm such a horrible pumper!!  I suppose it's a means to an end... here goes nothing!!!

UPDATE:  We mixed up 2oz of formula and 2.5oz of EBM tonight and she didn't refuse the bottle!! BUT... she only drank about 3 oz. (her BT bottle is so close to dinner though--maybe that's why?)  So I lost some EBM there, but oh well... it is what it is!!  QUESTION:  When you pre-mix formula, am I understanding correctly in that as long as you don't offer the bottle to an infant right away that it will keep for 24 hours?  I'm wondering if I could mix up 2oz (the minimum amount), and use 1oz of it with 2-3 oz of EBM and save the second oz for the next night. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 23:47:21 pm by stephanne2 »

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:51 am »
Some people will probably jump on me for suggesting this (pls don't lovely people :P ) but I know a couple of mums who put a bit of sugar in the formula to start with and gradually reduced it until LO would take it straight. Something to consider if mixing with breast milk doesn't work anyway.
^^ to get ds2 to take neocate I used golden syrup but yes, something to sweeten it a bit will work, you can wean that pretty quick some mums even use vanilla ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:55:31 am »
I heard golden syrup too actually. Not sure on quantity though. Maybe that would be worth a go. That way no precious breast milk is wasted.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:44 am »
We have squeeze bottles like this http://www.chelsea.co.nz/products/17/golden-syrup-easy-pour.aspx and I just popped a little squeeze in, maybe a teaspoon or lass? Then I stopped doing it at the NF after a few days, then reduced the day ones for a few days then ditched it ;)

Good luck x
***Sara***

stephanne2

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:36:55 am »
I am definitely intrigued by the golden syrup/vanilla idea!!  I'd never heard of golden syrup--is this something found in a natural foods store/section or is it just your average "golden syrup" I might find with the other pancake syrup at the grocery? (I'm in the U.S.)  If there a specific brand/type I should be looking for? And is there a specific amount I should start with or do you just kind of experiment/guess and back off every couple of days from there?

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:26 am »
I think zacsmumme said about a teaspoon then reduce amount to eventually none. I'm in uk so i dont know what brands you have. Here i would have brought the stuff for pancakes i guess.

stephanne2

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 14:03:23 pm »
Thanks!  I missed the part about the teaspoon--got too excited about alternative options and must have skipped right over it! I'll try a tsp per 4oz and see what happens!!!  Heading to the grocery today anyway, so I'll take a look around!

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 14:05:14 pm »
Fingers crossed for you hun. Let us know how you get on.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 17:46:03 pm »
Actually on second thoughts it's prob less than a tsp maybe 1/2.. But you can experiment ;)

Here is what it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup kind of like maple or corn syrup ... God luck
***Sara***

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 19:48:29 pm »
UPDATE:  We mixed up 2oz of formula and 2.5oz of EBM tonight and she didn't refuse the bottle!! BUT... she only drank about 3 oz. (her BT bottle is so close to dinner though--maybe that's why?)  So I lost some EBM there, but oh well... it is what it is!!  QUESTION:  When you pre-mix formula, am I understanding correctly in that as long as you don't offer the bottle to an infant right away that it will keep for 24 hours?  I'm wondering if I could mix up 2oz (the minimum amount), and use 1oz of it with 2-3 oz of EBM and save the second oz for the next night. Thoughts?

Hey, that sounds like a great start!
I'm not sure what the recommendations are in the USA, but for powdered formula in the UK we are generally advised to use what we've made up straight away rather than keeping it.  US recs may differ, though.
*** Amanda ***