Author Topic: 14month old with bad sleeping habits, AP, Props, the lot...  (Read 1610 times)

Offline dolly2008

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14month old with bad sleeping habits, AP, Props, the lot...
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:01:09 am »
I hope I'm posting into the wright category..

let me answer the basic questions before asking for your help and opion.

How old is your child?  14 months old
What’s his/her daily routine?
E: between 6 and 7h
A: 7.30h
S: between 10 and 10.30h but he is starting to get rid of this nap.  he goes down for about an 1h or 1h30
E: between 12 and 12.30h
A: depending on if he has had a nap in the morning or not
S: if he has had a nap in the morning, he usually won't go down before 14.30 for about an 1h and if he has missed the morning nap he'll go down at 13.30 for about 1h30 to 2h30
E: we eat at 19h
A: low key activity (bath time and sleeping ritual)
S: 20h
NW: around midnight
NW: every 2 hours after that
What’s nap routine? i warn him that he is going to go for a little nap as soon as I see his cues (rubbing his eyes, getting winey,...)
I take him upstairs, put him in his cot with his dummy and his blanky telling him he's going to have a little sleep.  I close the curtains (leaving a little bit of light) and tell him its sleepy time.  He usually fusses a little bit, but goes down easily.
How long are naps? (view routine)
What's bedtime routine? Time? the routine starts at supper, after supper we play a little bit, we have a bath (or a washdown), we put the PJ's on, we put him in his cot with a little book, whilst we tell him a story, we give him a cuddle and kiss, tell him its sleepy time and we go get his big brother and tell him his story.  (they sleep in the same bed). 
When we have left the bedroom you can be sure that R will start crying 10 min after closing the door.  We go in, give him a cuddle and tell him it's time to sleep
Do you bottle or breastfed?? He is on solids and only has a bottle of milk in the morning
How much? or how long? He takes in about 210ml
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? starting around midnight, every 2 hours
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? we used to give him his dummy and a drink of water and  he would go back to sleep.  but since yesterday evening we are trying the controlled crying.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? it's a high pitch crying
What have you tried to settle??
What do you do for A time and how long is it? we play games (building blocks, go to the beach, play in the garden)
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? he has been teething and started to walk a month ago.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? dummy and blanky
Do they have a lovie (yes)

Since yesterday evening, I've decided to try and get him to find his dummy on his own and to stop the water during the night.  For this I put lots of dummies in his cot.  When he woke up at 00h17, I went in and told him in a soft voice that it was sleepy time.  I didn't give him his dummy, I encouraged him to find it himself.  he cried for about a couple of minutes, found the dummy, found his blanky and calmed down, then he started up again a few minutes after, I told him that he was only going to sleep and that he needed to find his dummy and blanky.  when he sat up, I put him back down, giving him his dummy and blanky).  This went on untill 3h. At 2h30 I did give him some pain medication.  He slept fine untill5h.  he then started up again, but I did the same thing and he calmed down after about 15 min.  At 6H10 he woke up and I asked my man to give him his morning bottle.  He put him down again nd he the woke at 7h to start the day.

I just put him down for his nap and he's fine.

Do you think I need to change something.  (I stayed in the room during the crying).  Do I leave the room? If I continue this, do you think we'll get there or do I have to try another method?

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 14month old with bad sleeping habits, AP, Props, the lot...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 17:25:56 pm »
nobody to tell me if I'm on the right track or if what I've been doing since yesterday will not do at all??

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 18:19:23 pm »
Only have a moment just now but will pop back later if nobody else has jumped in.  At his age the dummy and blanky shouldn't be props, they are comfort items and so I would definitely agree with you encouraging him to find it himself. 

Could you just clarify how you are settling him at NWs?  I notice you said you are trying controlled crying at one point in your post and I just wanted you to know that here at BW we don't support leaving a LO to cry alone at any age for any reason as it can damage the trust your LO has in you.  I do notice that you later said you stayed with him during the crying though, and I want to reassure you that is very different from CC because LO knows he isn't abandoned :). I'd suggest that you continue going to him as soon as he wakes and cries, and then gradually over time you will be able to move further away from him, continuing to reassure with your voice, until you can get out of the room.

I would give pain meds if you think he is suffering with his teeth - it's not really fair to expect a LO in pain to be able to settle well.  But obviously use your own judgement with this when you think it's needed.

Hope that helps to start and will be back soon :)

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 18:38:16 pm »
Thank you for taking some time to read me and give your opinion.

I must have gotten it wrong regarding the controlled crying cause I figured that controlled crying meant staying with your child and reassuring him whilst he was crying cause that is what I'm doing.  I don't believe in letting a child cry it out on his own, so that is something that I will never be able to do...

when he wakes at night and cries, I go see him and tell him everything is ok.  I tell him to find his dummy and blanky.  if he is standing up or sitting up, I'll put him back down, telling him he it is sleepy time.  If he is very upset I will make it easier for him to find his dummy by pushing one towards him but I'm really trying no to give it to him directly...

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:25:34 am »
So we have good news and we have bad news.

Last night R woke at his usual hours 00h, 2h, 4h, and then at 5h.  But it only took 3 or 4 PD to calm him.  The problem is that he still wakes up a lot.  So do I Wake him to sleep at 23h, 1h, 3h or not? 

do I keep on doing what I'm doing?  When he wakes I went in and this time I put the chair a little further.  I stayed next to his cot untill he started to settle and then I went to sit in the chair in the middle of the room...*

It is easier to calm him but once again, he is still waiking so many times..tonight I'm going to ask my Partner to help me cause I'm getting tired...

at 6h 10 I asked my Partner to him R his bottle of milk.  He put him down after his bottle but R woke up at 6h30 to start the day.

Yesterday he had 2 big naps.
one at 9h30 untill 11H and one at 14H30 untill 17h.  Do I have to limit the naptime?  (Dont't forget that it was the first night that we started the sleep training so he  was very tired.

I'm desperate not to get it wrong, so please give me your opinion...

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 20:39:31 pm »
UP!

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:22 am »
3rd night of the sleeptraining.  we had to go to a beachpicnic so we came home a little late.  R fell asleep in the car at about 21h30.  When we came home, I gave him a bottle of milk before putting him to bed cause he had eaten very little during the picnic and he ate a little during lunch aswell.
He woke up at 4h.  It only took 2 x P.D. to put him back to sleep.  I left the room straight away.  He then woke up at 6h and again it only took 2 x P.D. to settle him.  But then at 6h24 he woke up again and my DP gave him his bottle.   He put him back to sleep and R woke up at 8h!.

yesterday he had 2 big naps again.  one at 9h30 untill 11h and one at 1h30 untill 4h.

I hope we continue like this  and that the reason that R only woke up 2 times is not just due to the fact that he went to bed later...but that the sleeptraining is paying off...

what do you guys think?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »
Hi again,

Glad I could put your mind at ease about the controlled crying and reassure you that what you are doing sounds great!  What you could do slightly differently is try to stay more 'hands off' and tell him to lie down and sleep (using whatever words you are comfortable with) rather than putting him down yourself.  That way he gets more practice of what to do when he wakes in the night, and may not need your assistance so much to resettle. 

With the naps, sleep training has to go along with an appropriate routine and I think that allowing 4h of naps in the day at his age is almost inevitably going to cause you problems at night because he won't be tired enough to sleep well.  It's a vicious cycle - he has a rough night, so you allow him longer naps to catch up, so he isn't tired enough and has another rough night.... He's headed for the 2-1 so I think you need to bear that in mind when judging how long to allow him to nap.  Most at this age would either be on one nap already, or have one nap up to 2h plus a short catnap. 

It's good that the night went better yesterday, but I don't think I can really comment further given that it wasn't a normal day.  Really to be fair to LO it's best if you can minimise disruptions to the routine for at least a few days, but I do understand that life happens sometimes ;)

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 05:39:29 am »
I think it's working.  yesterday he went to bed without any fussing, before I went to bed, I made him stirr a little.   
At 2h he woke up a little, but just when I got to his room, I heard that he had found his dummy and blanky on his own and he went back to sleep on his own.
He then woke at 5h. and it only took 2 x for me to tell him it was too early to Wake and that it was sleepy time.  he settled quit easily but woke a couple of minutes after. I stayed in the chair (in the middle of the room) and everytime I heard him stirr, I told him it was sleepy time.  After about 20 min. he was fast asleep again and didn't Wake untill 7h!!!

We are getting there...another couple of nights and I think will be ok!....

Offline dolly2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 16:28:59 pm »
R. slept all night untill 5h30!!  What an improvement.  I'm confident we'll be able to push the 5h30 to 7h soon enough ;D

It really works and I want to thank everyone who helps keep Tracy's methods in circulation!!

R. is starting to zap the morning nap so I'll probably will be back about that one soon enough. 

Thank you again for reading me and being there!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:42:09 am »
Fabulous updates - hope the improvements continue!