Author Topic: 13MO NW hourly  (Read 1083 times)

Offline emilyjoyce

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »
 Hello,
I appreciate ANY advice! We are at such a loss! I've just weaned our 13mo. He's always been a frequent NW and it's gotten so much worse now!  We hoped he would start sleeping once  weaned. He goes to sleep on his own no problem for his nap and at bedtime, sucks on his lovey blanket. He is waking up every hour screaming. Blood curdling screams. If you leave him  he just carries on. If we go in and pick him up he snuggles in, give him back his lovey and lay him down and he'll go back to sleep.

Generally wakes around 830.
Naps around 11-2
Bed around 7-730

Thank you,
Emily

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 13MO NW hourly
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 13:48:54 pm »
How did you previously deal with NWs?  Was he always nursed to sleep?  I would suspect if that's the case that even if he was an independent sleeper at BT that he had an overnight prop at night wakings.  Now he's not nursing it could well be that he has transferred that prop to being picked up and cuddled before he is willing to settle again.

What I would suggest is instead of going in and picking him up that you go and sit next to his bed.  Gently tell him to find his lovey, lie down and go to sleep.  Don't do it for him, he can presumably easily get from standing to lying and is able to move around to find his lovey?  Try to avoid physical contact if you can as it sounds like that might be what the issue is.  (Obviously though use your judgement - if he occasionally needs a cuddle just to calm him if he has become hysterical then trust your instincts on that.  It should be the exception rather than the rule though).  There's likely to be shouting and screaming to start with, but you are not abandoning him, just being a comforting presence while he works out how to settle himself on his own.  If he is an independent sleeper at BT it really shouldn't take him long to understand what you are asking of him.  After a day or two, move so that you are halfway to the door.  And then another day or so later, into the doorway, then outside.  If you are consistent and do the same thing for every waking, he should learn quickly :)

Routine-wise my only thoughts would be how long has he been on one nap?  He's still pretty young for it but if he consistently naps 3h it's probably do-able.  Most LOs with a 3h nap would need at least a 12h day though - it may be he needs the short day at the moment because his nights are so broken but I would have expected if he starts getting better quality sleep that you will need to extend his day otherwise you will end up with BT resistance or undertired NWs. 

Hope that helps to start with :)

Offline emilyjoyce

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 17:01:06 pm »
Thank you. I think you're right. I have always just nursed him when he got up, then put him back and he'd go back to sleep. I can totally try sitting with him. He was taking two naps, but lately seems to have attached the AM nap to his nighttime sleep. He used to wake up at 7.

I will start with your suggestion and go from there! I can't remember the last time I had 2 full hours of sleep, and it's been 13mo since anything longer than four! Mama is tired!! hah

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 17:02:48 pm »
Oh hugs, you must be shattered!  Let me know how you're getting on x

Offline emilyjoyce

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 17:17:25 pm »
Beyond tired at this point! lol hopefully we will be sleeping soon!! Will check back :) Thanks again.

Offline emilyjoyce

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:21:42 am »
So he and our 2 year old both SLEPT THROUGH last night! I can't believe it! First time :) He slept 630-430.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:19:01 am »
Great news!  Hoping he resettled for you at 4.30 :)