Author Topic: 12mth old waking at night for hours!  (Read 973 times)

Offline Islaclaire

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
12mth old waking at night for hours!
« on: November 08, 2013, 20:45:43 pm »
My daughter turned one 2 weeks ago and this past week has been all over the place in terms of schedule and sleeping. We had her on a 3.5 hr EASY but she seemed to out grow that do we started towards the 2-1 transition. She'd have her morning sleep at 11am but only sleep for an hour and then refuse an afternoon sleep and be OT by bedtime. Now her schedule is non existent I have no idea what to do with her, some days she's exhausted by 9am after getting up at 6.30 and some days she wakes at the same time but refuses to sleep until 12. Tonight she went to sleep easily at 7.30pm and woke up at 1.30 and is still awake now at 4.40am. I'm so lost, exhausted and feeling very down on the whole thing. I just don't know how to get back on track. Her easy seems to be different every day at the moment but today

6.30 wu - breakfast
11.30 lunch
12 - 2.30 sleep
2.30 milk
6pm dinner
7pm bath milk bed
7.30 - asleep
1.30am - wide awake happy in cot playing
4.40 - crying in cot but won't sleep

What should I do? We're just in such a mess!

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Re: 12mth old waking at night for hours!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 21:19:12 pm »
We have been in the same boat for nearly 6weeks....... sorry no advice. For us its either Teeth/SA or maybe UT/OT cycle. WE have been doing lots of different things WIWO, GW, cuddleing, co-sleeping the odd time. Basically what ever works atm. Our DD does self-settle for naps and Bt our issue is just with NWs.
Melissa

Offline Islaclaire

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 21:44:49 pm »
Thanks for your msg it's so hard isn't it! Yeah I'm not sure if she's teething too but when she woke up at 1.30 she was happy and didn't seem in pain. Its nearly 6am now and she's still not slept so now I'm stressing about scheduling the rest of the day. What a mess!!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:47 am »
Hi there, your easy looks pretty good to be honest. Long wakings at that time of night were always either UT or discomfort or developmental change for us. I would think UT is unlikely as she's only just moved to one nap.

Teething is a possibility, have you tried offering medicine as she wakes, or just before (say at your BT) as a dreamfeed. She might not appear to be in pain but just be slightly too uncomfortable to go back to sleep.

If it's not UT or teething then is there anything going on for her in the day at the moment, is she learning anything new?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:42:45 am »
She may not be ready for 1 nap. We had to shorten the morning nap to 45 mins or even 30 to get an afternoon nap. Have you tried cutting the morning nap?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Islaclaire

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:55:03 am »
Hi ladies thanks so much for your advice and support! Yes to both teething and she's learning to walk at try moment too. I'm pretty sure she's in pain with her teeth and we have been giving her pain relief but when she woke up happy we didn't know if she was in pain, but what you say makes sense and trying to dream feed her a dose is a great idea.

Thankfully we have a farm so checking sheep at 5 am was at least productive! Fingers crossed for a better night xx