Author Topic: 1 year molars. How bad?????  (Read 2674 times)

Offline pinkladyangel

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
1 year molars. How bad?????
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:46:26 pm »
Our lo has been teething and for the last 2 nights has been waking 2 or 3 times in the night and getting hysterical. We've been medicating but it doesnt seem to help. Are they really that bad?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 1 year molars. How bad?????
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 23:54:04 pm »
First molars are like the worst thing in the world...until you discover canines...and then second year molars which really do trump all other teeth on the pain scale.
Sorry but if your LO suffers then chances are this is just the beginning.  Are you medicating with paracetamol and ibuprofen? dream meds?
The good news is that the really really bad nights tend to be a few days whilst the tooth cuts, the before and after pain is not usually quite as bad but there is still pain from movement.
It's awful what these little babies have to put up with :(

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:19:43 am »
Sleep did go wonky for a while, and it took a solid 2 months before they fully came through.  But, once they were through things did go back to normal, and to be honest...it wasn't as bad as I expexted (and my DS is not a great teether). I think we are starting to work on canines now, I'm bracing myslef for that.  I did medicate a lot, so don't feel bad about giving meds for the pain, we found ibprophen worked best. It will get better :)

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:42:37 am »
We are giving meds but sometimes they just dont seem to work. Tonight i've been setting my alarm to keep him well topped up and fingers crossed we've not had hysterics. He's been stirring on and off. He's a pretty bad teether too. I do worry about giving meds but i tend to only give at night when things get rally bad bless him.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:36:27 am »
There were lots of times I felt like the meds weren't doing anything either.  We did a LOT of APing over those 2 months, so don't worry about creating any bad habits or anything, we had to AP constantly.  We found some nights were perfectly normal, and others he'd be up for 2hrs at a time, unable to fall back asleep no matter what we did. 

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:27:22 am »
Theres definitely a lot of APing going on lol. Anything to get the odd hour out of him.
Thanks guys.

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:53 am »
Just wanted to add to the "AP all you need to" thought here! Do what you have to do! It will all sort out later. Oh, and I love Hyland's teething tablets.  Pop through teeth!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 19:07:13 pm »
We found some chamomilla granules by weleda that are ok for babies with milk allergy. Lets see if they work lol. Am so tired.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 19:20:19 pm »
Just popping on to say that I feel your pain - we are in 1st year molar hell with zero night sleep happening for the last couple of weeks and AP being the only thing in use at the moment!!! Can't believe it's this bad with canines and 2nd molars to come. Everyone keeps telling me it will end but at the moment it feels like we have the slowest growing molars in history!!!! I have yet to find something to help him other than lots of cuddles - oh well I am sure we will have IS again one day!

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 19:34:48 pm »
Kjmum. Have you tried ashton and parsons teething powders? Used them with dd but ds cant have them cos of milk allergy. They were the best i ever found.

Offline blessedmummy12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 20:37:39 pm »
Popping on to say we are in the same boat and it is horrible! Here's hoping it ends for us all soon! What's the deal with paracetamol and ibuprofen? Can you give both together? When my DS had his worst night (4 hours crying non-stop with us holding him the whole time, horrid), calpol didn't touch the pain :-( xx

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 20:45:14 pm »
Ouch 4 hrs NW is hardcore!! Yes you can use the 2 together or stagger so you have constant coverage. I have found ibuprofen to be much more effective for teething as it lasts longer and is also an anti-inflammitary.

Thanks pinkladyangel for the tip on the teething powders - will give them a try for sure!

I even bought an amber anklet but doesn't seem to make a difference - was hoping for a miracle but nevermind!!!

Big hugs to everyone as teething sucks big time!!

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:19 am »
So last night was good. kept meds topped up and he woke at half four for about half hour. Hubby got up to him so i managed a full nights sleep more or less.
How many days in a row can you do this as on meds it says 3 days. Tonight will be our third day. What next eek.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 23:35:25 pm »
Yes you can use the 2 together or stagger so you have constant coverage.
I suggest writing it down if you are giving both. They have different times for frequency (from memory para is 4hrs ibup is 6hrs) which makes it harder to remember plus if you give both it's sometimes difficult to remember just which you gave at the last med, especially if you are up half the night and sleep deprived.  So much easier to just read your note to ensure you give the right med at the right time - and if the dose is different for each (some are) then always double check which dose for which med, again when you are sleep deprived it is easy to mix it up.

As for number of days, I've never done more than the 3 days on full doses but I've had times it felt like I was medicating every day for ages.  When possible I dropped down to pre-nap and pre-BT rather than every 4 hrs.

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 07:00:29 am »
Thanks creations
I have it all written down. Made that mistake with dd and cough stuff when she was 2. Luckily it was ok.
Have had 3 better nights so will see what happens med free tonight. Wish me luck lol.