Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #26  (Read 44002 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #26
« on: March 07, 2014, 13:29:08 pm »
Re: LO screams after WU from her nap

Please remember mods are now deleting any posts meant simply to m@rk your spot in a thread, in order to keep the BW boards as neat as possible. Thanks.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #26
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 13:31:44 pm »
I'm not sure why the link is saying that but it is linking to the last support thread!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 20:22:01 pm »
Hello! We've chatted so much we have a new thread  :)

Sorry you feel low, Lolsyb, hope your night out cheers you up.  I got really down when DS started waking habitually at 5 too, I felt like although he was STTN, he wasn't really. 

Sorry you feel fed up too, Layla, maybe long am/short pm is the way to go for J.  I know I don't feel as bad waking DS from a late cn if I know he's already had a good keep and bedtime isn't too far away.  That might also make things easier with your mum.

Glad Jack's a bit better today, LL&J, hope he took a nice long sleep.

I shouldn't have worried about EBT: DS cried from 6.30-10.30 last night- he was hot despite having had Calpol so I think he just felt ill.  Fever broke though and he slept until 6.15 after that.  I thought he'd be tired today but no... Only went for nap after 4.5hrs A time and then an UT hour only.  He was doing ok at 4 but I got too edgy about not doing a cn, so he had 15mins in buggy but then was wide awake at BT.  If I can get first A time right & get a good nap out of him, he may be ready for an EBT instead of the cn..:o
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 20:28:00 pm »
Layla- we went for a 1pm party too- seems safest bet for now... a 4.30 BT wow! She must have been exhausted from the celebrations.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:22 am »
Sounds like you're very close to one nap, scottishmummy! Yay!

We're going backwards this week!  Jack is definitely brighter but he only had one nap yesterday and is shattered again today.  He went down easily for a nap at 9.45 and is still asleep now, an hour later.  So two naps again today! At least it's restoring my faith that I can read his sleepy signs.  I often wonder when he doesn't show any whether I've just missed them.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »
Poor Jack, illness and nursery must have exhausted him.

DS is really pushing his A times- much better today & woke at 5.55.  I planned to do anap at 4hrs45 but no sleepy signs.  In the end I put him down at 11.05 as he'd been awake over 5 hrs even though he wasn't showing his usual sleep signs.  He went straight to sleep very quickly and easily but only slept an hour and woke happy - so still a bit UT?! Or maybe OS? He's into everything and pointing & wanting us to name things for him so maybe he's too interested in the world to sleep.

How fast do I up his A times & by how much?

Not sure whether to try for a cn or just go for EBT.  Going out this afternoon so I think if he sleeps on way back that will be our cn, if not it'll be EBT but what time? His 2nd A time is usually longer than first so 5.30? 6? Don't want to be up too early tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:24:23 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »
I think I'd try and push him til 6, but jack can handle OT pretty well...

When we got to that stage of 5hrs-ish A time I set a nap time and stuck with that for a week or two, and just AP'd a cn if he really needed it. I tried not to do a cn though unless his nap was short.  I found having a set nap time meant I inadvertently tried out some longer and shorter A times without just being all over the place.  I found it easier that way to see what he did best on.  It was actually the earlier wake ups which helped me realise that around 5hrs 30 was right for jacks first A. Before that we were getting really mixed naps and it wasn't clear if they were UT or OT. Anyway, obviously up to you, but it sounds like he's ready for a few more one nap days in a row - or even to fully make the transition if he can handle 5hrs A?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 13:31:50 pm »
Thanks- maybe if he has a 1 nap day he might sleep better after 5hrs the next? So I'll wait and see if he sleeps in car this afternoon.  If not, then 1 nap it is- eek!

Sticking to an 11am nap for a couple of days is probably a good idea as my mum has him in Monday and it would be easier to give her a specific time.

I think he might be able to do 5hr30 but will wait until he is going to be with me for a few days in a row to risk it!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 15:48:22 pm »
Yeah, sounds like a plan :)

I'm remembering why we're not on 2 naps any more.... Let jack have a long AM nap at 10 this morning.  He did a slightly UT 1hr 20 nap and now almost 5hrs after him waking from it I can't even AP another nap! 

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 16:03:11 pm »
Hi ladies

Am feeling much better today about K's sleep. She was up at 5 again today but DH got up with her and I had a lie in being so I didnt get to bed until 2!!!

Scottishmummy - think you might be there!!!!

LL&J - shame you're back to 2 naps. What will you do, try and get back to a set nap time again or stick with 2 for a while?

We've had 4.5hr A last 2 days and had a great nap. 2.15 hrs this morning!
If only her wu was 6am we could do EBT instead.

Just about to go wake her up now. Fell asleep in the car at 3.30. It's far more day sleep than she used to have. Do you think she's just catching up all the time from the ew and bad nap days at cm?

Lauren

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 16:16:11 pm »
No, we are definitely done with 2 naps.  I had been planning on going back to one nap today cos he seems much better but he was so tired this morning I thought maybe he needed one more 2 nap day.  Clearly not seeing as he STILL isn't asleep. Think I'm going to have to abandon the cn and do EBT instead.  He's going to be very OT by bedtime :(

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 16:21:38 pm »
Oh, and yes, sounds like your lo is catching up today. Jack occasionally does that too, but for us it'll show in a very long nap all of a sudden.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 04:04:57 am »
I am going to abandon operation "push the nap to middle of the day" and going back to 2 naps with open arms and back to our old routine, short am and longer pm. I have noticed that when we do the long am/short pm, she ends up doing 3.5hrs to bedtime (which she is able to do on a 45min morning nap) but then we get the early morning wake up the next day, which I am not a fan of... especially since the clocks will be changing in the other direction for us and I'd like to keep it at 6am. She woke at 5am yesterday (we did long am/short pm on Friday) and DH was going to get her (he thought it was 6am) and I ran after him and grabbed her, fed her in her room and straight back to bed. She went back to sleep and slept till 6.30am (phew!) so yesterday we did 45min am and 2hr pm and she went to sleep at 7.30pm and slept till 6am. I am just going to have to start being strict again with waking her up in the morning because the other option isn't working, it makes me nervous about what time she'll wake the next morning and it makes me nervous putting her down in the pm  (in case she refuses) because I have to get the girls from school and I can't AP the catnap since we have after school activities.

LL&J - glad to hear Jack is feeling better... shame he didn't take the cn, hope earlier bedtime works for you :)

Scottishmummy - hope your little guy is feeling better too....I would also pick 11am as the earliest too :)

Lolsyb - hope you had a great night with your friends and well done to DH for letting you sleep in! It does sound like she was making up for lost sleep. I remember you were also doing shorter am/longer pm... or were you? not working?

Wow ladies, I just realised how much longer your A times are compared to ours - we are only doing 3.5A before morning nap and 3.5hr A after 45min morning nap and somewhere around 3.75-4hrs A before bedtime.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:07:54 am by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 06:47:15 am »
They're all so different with their A times aren't they? I have a friend whose baby still has 3 naps at almost a year old and still sleeps fine at night.  I'm amazed DS's are so high tbh as he's always been fairly average with his A times until now. 
Sounds like a bit of trial and error has proved a pattern, Layla so you can do a routine ou know suits her & doesn't stress you out. Can you work on your mum to persuade her to cap her am nap if she still needs it when she starts looking after her?

Glad you feel better Lolsyb, I'm sure the later wu will come back when her naps sort out.  Do you get up and start day with her at 5 or keep it quiet and dark and delay milk until 6?

Hope bedtime wasn't too screamy & you had an ok night LL&J.  After illness I find that DS usually bounces back to his normal A times& nap routines pretty quickly.

Saturday afternoon was a friend's party with lots of people so DS was exhausted and slept in car. I gave him 15mins 3.45-4 and he went to sleep 7pm-6am.  I'm reluctant to drop cn until he sleeps more than an hour for first nap.  Will try 11 for next couple of days then push it later after that if still short.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 07:24:58 am »
Wow!  That totally worked!  He slept over 11.5 hours without a peep! :) We haven't had that in months... 11 hours is normally his max.  But of course, now I'm questioning my routinely on one nap days.  Normally we do:

WU: 6 - 6.15
Nap: 12.15 - 2.30
BT: 7.30

And yesterday he did:

WU: 5.50
Nap: 9.50 - 11.10
BT: 7

Obviously yesterday wouldn't work as a routine, but I am wondering now if he'd be better on an earlier,  slightly UT nap and slightly longer A til bed with earlier BT.... The reason his nap is currently at 12.15 is cos anything earlier gives a shorter nap, but maybe that's ok.  I've suspected for a while he'd do better on 1.5hrs during the day.  Maybe I should let him nap earlier but for as long as he likes,  rather than pushing him so he naps longer and capping it at 2hrs? Hmmm....