Author Topic: NW with almost 1year old  (Read 1511 times)

Offline HPM1

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 11, 2014, 13:39:28 pm »
Hi there,

Just looking for some help with my little one. He's always been an awesome sleeper but is moving in to the 2-1 transition and nights have become hideous.  I've read ALOT of the 2-1 transition posts on here and I'm getting myself confused. He's having night wakings 2-3 hours after bedtime the last few nights and it takes over an hour sometimes 2 to settle him.  He has for the last couple of months started refusing his afternoon nap every few days so we've had a few EBT when this happened, and now in the last couple of weeks he's changed and is sometimes refusing the morning nap instead.  He was sleeping 7pm-7am like clock work and a long morning nap and short afternoon nap but now we've been getting NW and naps all over the place!!!! He's 1 week off his 1st birthday.  He has 3.5hrs activity time.  Sometimes shorter before bed if he gets 2 naps. Longest he's done is 6 hours before bed if he's missed his afternoon nap (not ideal).

This has been his routine for the last couple of days. 

7am wake
7am BF
8:30 Solids
10:30 Nap 1-1.5hrs
12pm lunch
2pm BF
3:30 catnap 30-45min (have to wake him always grumpy)
4-4:15 Snack
5:30 Dinner
6pm Bath
6:30 Breastfeed
7pm bed (goes straight to sleep no fuss)
9:30-10pm woke up crying and took over an hour to settle

Next day pretty much the same routine but refused afternoon nap so listened to music quietly in cot for half an hour and then EBT at 6:30pm and dinner and bath.

I can't put him down any earlier than 3.5hrs Activity in the morning because he just la la's away to himself.   Not sure what to do. Hope this makes sense it's 1:30am and I can't get back to sleep.   :o

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 18:04:41 pm »
I thought the NW might be due to over-tiredness so let him sleep for an hour yesterday for the PM nap  after 1.5hr am nap to catch up on some sleep I woke him at 4:30 so we could still do bedtime at 7pm.  He was screaming and really grumpy for a while when I woke him from his 4:30 nap tho.  He went down perfectly at 7pm and no night wakings last night.   He cried out at 4am-ish but went straight back to sleep.  He did the same thing at 5am and I thought he was awake for the day but managed to put himself back to sleep!!!  Do I need to stick with 2.5hr total day sleep for a bit longer. Hard to fit in 2naps if he wakes at 7am ???

angelajoanne

Re: NW with almost 1year old
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 22:07:12 pm »
Hi!   I'm in the same boat as you.   My DD is 1 year next week and is going through the 2-1.    That's great that he had a good night.

I'm not sure I can help but I can support you  :) Theory is much easier than practise!
Perhaps see how he goes this morning what signs he gives, if he looks tired you can put him down after 3.5-4hrs if he doesn't fuss and goes to sleep then he obviously still needs the 2 naps, then depending on how long he sleeps have an early BT or do a catnap again if he is struggling in the afternoon.     
I'm finding the transition means lots of early BT's.     

I'm putting my girl down between 11-11.30 at the moment (as she refuses 9.30-10am (screams and arches back  :( which I do try if she wakes early!) and she is sleeping 2-2.5hrs instead of previously split 1hr & 1.5hr and I adjust BT accordingly.

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:53:13 am »
Hi angelajoanne,

Thanks for the support.  He slept til 7:30am this morning I don't usually let him sleep past 7 because it mucks up our day but since he's had weird days the last couple of days I just let him sleep. I also thought I'd be able to try for a 1 nap day but I chickened out ;D and put him down half hour early instead for his morning nap so we'd still have time for a pm CN he went down straight away and slept 1.5 hours.....and then it didn't matter anyway because he refused the PM nap!!  Arrrrrggghhh!!   Tried for an early bedtime at 6 but it took him1/2hr to settle.

What are you doing to settle your LO if she's upset?  I was doing PU/PD and it worked like a dream but now...no go! He just starts snuggling in now.  I'm trying WI/WO now (I think???)

In happier news happy birthday to your little one for next week :D

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:21 am »
I wondering if I should've posted this in NW board ???

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 23:16:43 pm »
Reading this is helpful...

Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6

I'm wondering if I need to cap the AM nap so he gets a PM nap in. No PM nap again yesterday.

angelajoanne

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 00:37:43 am »
That is helpful - I agree, if that is what you feel comfortable with (capping AM nap) I would cap it and see how you go with the PM nap and then if successful you keep easing the AM out by 15mins every few days until it's 1 nap.

It's funny how you get nervous to put them down or not.   This morning Fleur woke up at 5.30am so I was umming and ahhing about when to put her down.   I went along to a local coffee group that runs 10-12 (will be great once we are consistent for activities!) I left at 11 and then put her down as soon as we got home and she's still sleeping so I think it will be an early BT, but have a feeling we'll have NW due to OT.    Will see!

and thank you, one year!!  ;D

oh and yes, we use WI/WO now.   Last week I got her up and rocked her to a song we used as a newborn, oops, then she still cried when I put her down, so realised I was giving mixed messages.   Since I stuck to WI/WO and not picking her up, just laying her down if she's standing it's been much better with NW too.

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:31:02 am »
Aaaaarrrgggh no PM nap again today.

angelajoanne

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 21:03:12 pm »
oh dear!   Did you cap the AM nap?
Had a rough night here as I thought  :(     NW at 9pm didn't get back to sleep til 11pm and then she woke at midnight but just did WI/WO and settled straight away but up at 5.30am - yawn!!   Will see how we go with naps..

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 03:27:26 am »
That's no good you had so many NW. We were pretty much exactly the same the other night
but up from 11-1am. Easy to settle but just kept waking...apparently?!  I went to bed at 7pm straight after I put LO down and could literally NOT wake up so this was all from a very groggy morning update from DH the next morning....we've capped the morning nap at 1hr and so far so good PM nap has been happening😴...what naps do you do? 

Offline HPM1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:23:46 am »
Hi angelajoanne, how are things going with your LO?  It took a couple of days to get my LO out of being OT and then I think UT.  Geez!!  I've capped the AM nap here now and so far so good with the NW. Still a bit hit and miss knowing what time to put him down in the morning and sometimes takes him a little while to settle. PM naps are happening so just need to work out how long he has A time after capped AM nap. Found it on a 13 months + routines post. Hoping it helps.

*After 10 months of age - average A times based on naps:

A)  20 min am nap 2h-3h20m hours A time, then PM nap
B)  30 min am nap 2h45m - 3h30m hours A time, then PM Nap
C)  45min AM nap 3h15m-4 hours A time, then PM nap
D)  60 min nap, 3h30m-4 hours A time, then PM nap

Hope things are on the mend with you?!