Author Topic: How to start EASY for 8 week old  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Cnireland

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 21, 2014, 20:56:35 pm »
I have an 8 week old son who I'd like to start on EASY as he often seems overtired. I've just finished the 'solves your problems' book and am still confused as to how to start so any advice would be really great. He was a healthy 9 pound baby who is now 13 pounds and is exclusively breastfed. He suffers from wind and reflux so takes some time to settle after a feed. He doesn't seem to have difficulty falling asleep (although it gets harder as the day goes on) but he often wakes after a short period of time. Here's a sample of his last two days.

Day 1
E 6.25
S 7-7.30 then again 8.30-9

E 9.50
S 11-12

E 13.00
S 14.15-16.30

E 16.45
S 17.10-17.35

E 19.00
S 20.00-20.30

E short fussy feed at 20.30
S 21.40- 1.15

Day 2
E 1.15
S 2.15- 5.30 (wakes up at 3.30 but goes back down)

E 5.30
S 7-7.30

E 7.30
S 9.20-12

E 12.00
S doses on and off but no proper sleep

E 14.45
S 17.15-17.45

E 17.30
S 19.30-20.00

E 20.00 (short fussy feed)
S 21.05- remains to be seen!

Really appreciate any advice or help as am feeling pretty confused and lost!!

Offline Cnireland

• Showing Appreciation 0
8 week old- is he overtired?? Please help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:33:31 am »
My son has been feeding around 7pm, falling asleep at 9pm and waking for a feed around 1am. He is winded and falls asleep again at 2am - he generally stirs a few times but goes back over if I play some white noise. He then wakes crying at 5.30 is squirmy, pulls at his ears, sometimes licks lips and puts fist in mouth. I end up feeding him but it's always a fussy feed. Sometimes after that he is wide eyed and stares and sometimes he falls asleep. Please help as I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! Or is this normal?? He is 8 weeks old and weighs 13 pounds.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 8 week old- is he overtired?? Please help
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:24:19 pm »
Hugs hun the first few weeks are hard and your doing nothing wrong.
He's doing a good stretch of sleep at night which is good, does he go back to sleep after that 5.30 feed? I would definitely think he needs that feed as a couple at night are not unusual at this age, do you feed as soon as wakes up?
Zoe

Offline Cnireland

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 13:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply. It changes everyday- sometimes he goes to sleep after 5.30 feed and sometimes he looks wide awake like he wants to play. I'm mostly concerned about his day time naps as they are usually only around 40 minutes. He always wakes up crying and I can't figure out if he's hungry or still tired. I usually try and calm him for a while and if that doesn't work I feed him. He's also very unsettled after the 1am feed-waking every hour.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 17:14:01 pm »
Could you log a couple of days EAS and post for us to look at to see if there is anything we can help with.
Zoe

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 20:18:56 pm »
Hi there, I've just seen your post on the EASY board too. You mention that your DS has reflux, is this being treated at all?

I'm going to look at getting these two threads linked so we can keep all your advice on DS's sleep in one place for now.

:)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Cnireland

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 06:58:23 am »
Thanks! Yes he is on losec for his reflux and seems to be responding really well. The painful cry seems to have mostly stopped. I'm mostly confused by whether he is hungry or tired. During the day I tend to feed, he stays awake for about an hour then at first signs of yawns etc I start winding down and he goes off to sleep. He usually wakes around an hour later crying - this means it's only been two hours since he fed and I feel he can definitely go longer but when I try and calm him and put him back down to sleep his crying just gets louder and louder. Here's our easy from yesterday

E 7am
S 8.40-10.30

E 10.30
S 11.40-12.20

I try and calm and put him down for nap again between 12.20 and 1pm

E 1.10pm
S 2.15-3.10 wakes up crying. I try to put him down again until 3.45

E 3.45
S 5-5.45

E 6
A bath
E 7.35
S 8.10-8.35 wakes up crying
S 9.20 pm- 2 am

E 2am
S 3.30 starts to stir at 5.30 but he isn't crying so I just sit quietly beside him

E 6.30

Offline Cnireland

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 17:58:16 pm »
Am posting again in the hope that someone will reply as I'm at my wits end. Baby's sleeping seems to be getting worse. I'm just not sure what to do. During the day he wakes up, I feed him, he lasts about an hr then gets tired so I put him down then he wakes up 30 or 45 minutes later and he's always crying. But I really don't think he's hungry cos it's only been 2 hrs total since he fed last and he just acts really tired rubbing his eyes yawning and pulling at ears. And he used to go 3 or 4 hrs between feeds. So I've been trying to put him back down but he cries and it takes so long that it's then 3 hrs since he fed and I end up feeding him. He's getting grumpier as the days go on. I have tried waiting to just before the 30 minute mark and holding his arms when he flails but he wakes straight up screaming. I've tried giving him a dummy to calm him but he wakes up when it falls out. I've pretty much spent all day crying so please can someone suggest what to do??

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: How to start EASY for 8 week old
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 18:11:59 pm »
I'm going to ask for some more eyes here sweetie, hold tight (((hugs)))
~ Naomi ~

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
Re: How to start EASY for 8 week old
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 18:16:56 pm »
Oh hun sorry it's been a while since u got a reply, I've been at work so not had chance! Try not to get upset yourself I'm sure we can sort something.
There are lots of growth spurts at this age and wonder weeks so it's a crazy time, if you think LO is hungry just feed as it's quickest way through a growth spurt.
I notice you said he had reflux but it's ok now, sometimes if growth spurt happening meds might need adjusting. For us 30/40 min naps were discomfort.
Will he sleep if you go for a drive or a walk with the pram? Will he sleep on you in the day to get some rest for both of you?
He's still little so don't worry about habits forming at this age just do what's easy to get through a rough patch. x

Posted with Naomi
Zoe

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:34 am »
Hi and (((hugs)))

Just wondering what dose of Losec he is on, and how much he weighs now?  How long has he been on the Losec?