Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64976 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2016, 19:30:08 pm »
Hi Gully. Maybe you could try a really short catnap in the morning and then hopefully that would give you a decent pm nap without to massive an A time in between and so Bt not too late?
 I think we are going to have to try this. We have only been getting 1hour second nap after a 30min morning catnap. I can't push pm nap later due to school run. Of nursery aren't happy about waking at 20 min mark I don't know what to do though. He is waking between 5.45 and 6 and I wouldn't be able to put him down til 12.45 really which is a ridiculous A time when jumping to 1 nap.
Gemma

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2016, 19:56:52 pm »
Hi Gully!

Other option, if she likes a long awake morning, is to go for the long am/short pm option..just let her sleep as long as she wants for the morning and try to AP a late PM catnap (in the car or buggy if necessary) to get to bedtime. The length of the CN depends on when it starts but might be v short if first nap starts 11ish...if she doesn't take the CN then try EBT (early bedtime).

How long A time do you think she needs in the morning to get a good nap? 
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline bossanovile

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2016, 05:23:28 am »
Please help! I have been reading the thread and many other threads on the 2-1 and am beginning to become mind boggled. would appreciate some insight since my LO has long WTs between naps and I am trying to hold off the 1 nap transition (but am not sure if I should) To hold off or not?

WU - 7-710am, but lately has crept to 630-640am. She generally chills out in her crib till 710am

N1 - 1055am (limited to 45-50 min so I can squeeze in N2)
N2 - 350pm- 445pm (limited to I can get to a decent BT)
BT - 840pm asleep

Thoughts? It's stretching to about 4h between naps and morning wake up. Is 1 nap the possibility now, or would I hold on? I don't get home till 7 so I'm afraid of EBT

If I were to do one nap, say starting 12-1215pm, and naps till 2pm, what time would BT be?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2016, 11:14:27 am »
I'd work out her total sleep needs and go from there. Babies don't usually deprive themselves of the sleep they need - they save that for us! - so her average is a good place to start.

My guy is averaging around 13-13.5 hours but prefers a longer night. Last night we got 7-7 with a 5am feed, heaven! So today he kept going until 11.15 and is still asleep. Yay!!! We've had a rough couple of weeks, so I'm really appreciating this. I won't try to get him to nap again today, he does a 6-7hr A quite happily and I will aim to have him in bed for 7 (earlier if he looks like he needs it).
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2016, 16:53:13 pm »
Choc- never answered your question. We are mostly on one nap days now with the occasional 2 nap days if he's extra tired from teething. It's a rough ride doing the transition. We went through it for months! We shaved off the Am nap until that no longer worked and pushed the am out with the late pm CN. When he got to about 5hrs A we did the push to one nap.

Boss- My DS likes long A times especially with naps longer than 30 minutes. Would it help to shave off the am to about 30 minutes then do the pm about 3-3.5 hrs later? Mine did a longer pm after about 3.5 for awhile before having to switch up the routine again. 2-1 always felt like a juggling act for us lol

Something like:

WU 7 am
S 11-11:30 am (not sure if you're DD would go down sooner)
S 3-4:30 pm
BT 8 pm
Not sure if you're LO prefers longer am A times bc you could try to push the am nap later for a longer nap and roll the dice for a late pm CN.
Jennifer xx

Offline Gully

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2016, 19:30:11 pm »
Hi again,

Thanks choc and scottishmummy. We tried the long am/ short pm nap for just over a week and it gave us a lot of NW, so I guess the next step is to try short am/longpm and see how that goes. She went of yesterday afternoon at 4:45, so I just gave her 20 minutes as otherwise bedtime would have been very late. She went off to sleep early for the night but we had an EW of 5:30 am. She is now a bit overtired, so I went driving this afternoon to bring on nap 2 early. Hopefully she has caught up a bit and we'll try for a little more tomorrow, then start to cap naps again.

Thanks so much for the advice, its great to have someone to ask!

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2016, 20:00:13 pm »
Good luck with the short am long pm gully! It doesn't seem to be working too well for us right now, although it did for a while.
Today he refused his 10 am nap at nursery until 10.40 and then woke after 25 mins so didn't even take the whole 30 mins. Then I have to put down at 1.30 due to school run at 3 and he slept 1.35 to 2.55, so 1hr20. Not great. The rest of this week he was doing 10 til 10. 30 and 1.30 to 2.30.
Any ideas where to go from here?! Nursery have a policy of not really waking from naps but the girls did wake him after a 30 min cn for me. They wouldn't shorten it though. I mentioned waking after 20 mins today and although his key worker would do what ever I wanted if she could, she is bound by the company policy.
I suppose I could either just carry on as we are, although he is pretty hard work in the late afternoons (that might just be the way he is though!) or jump to 1 nap and try to get it as close to 12.30 as I can although it will be tricky and mean leaving work a little earlier than I should.
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2016, 13:13:20 pm »
So I think I've cocked up today. Any thoughts?  He slept til 7 this morning so I decided to see what happened naps wise and we were going to be out and about in the morning anyway. I thought we might do one nap. Anyway he dropped off in the car at 10.30 for about 8 mins. He was really happy the rest of the morning, playing nicely etc, no grumpiness. I put down at 12.40 and asleep by 12.45. Then he woke at 1.45. Originally thought OT but have just remembered that I was doing 15min nap before he went back to nursery and then second nap 2hr45 later and getting 2 hour nap. So do you think going down 2hrs after 8 min nap he was actually ut?
Gemma

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2016, 18:56:07 pm »
Hard to say, choc but yes possibly UT..how was the rest of the day?
How many days is he in nursery? If they won't wake from naps would a long am work if he gets tired around 10.30?

Gully for your short am..it looks like 45mins  gives you UT later...could you try 30 mins, or possibly shorter if nap is falling mid-morning, just to tide your DD over to a (hopefully) long nap early afternoon?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2016, 19:12:13 pm »
Rest of the day was OK til about 5pm when he started with the clingy whinging! He goes to nursery 4 days a week. We did start with long am there but it was never quite long enough and then I ended up with 2 shortish naps.
Gemma

Offline Gully

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2016, 19:55:08 pm »
Hi again,

Sorry I disappeared, had a crazy few days at work and we have been having some night wakings here too. Choc, it's tough that the creche won't cap the nap further for you. I din't realise they would have policies about that!

We have had two days of short nap (40 min) and the one hour ten in the afternoon. Bedtime then is 8:30 (asleep about 8:50). It's gone okay, she has woken twice the first night and three times last night, crying for a couple of mins. I'm used to resettling her once or maybe twice a night with the pacifier, but last night she had it in her mouth and still cried! I just turned on her mobile and shushed for maybe 10 seconds and left. She went off again after a few minutes. She may be a little overtired from the very poor nap days she had earlier in the week. But she never woke on those nights at all, just had EW. Hard to find a balance!  I think we need to keep going with this nap schedule for another few days, am thinking of cutting the first nap back to 30 min. What do you think?

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2016, 20:35:15 pm »
That's what I would do gully.
Gemma

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2016, 12:58:40 pm »
Argh! These EWs are really getting to me! 5am this morning! Our routine is still the same:
Nap 1: 9.45/50-10
Nap 2- 1-2.30/3pm
BT: 7-7.30

Wondering whether I should just try to push to 1 nap but it would be really tricky to time it with nursery pick up (12.10)
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2016, 17:57:25 pm »
We are having a go at 1 nap this week SM. He was in nursery all day today and did 12.30 to 2. They said he was fine all morning but he is having a meltdown now he has got out the bath and getting ready for bed! The rest of the week he is only in nursery for the morning so he will have to wait to nearly 1pm for his nap and I need to get him home without falling asleep. I have no idea how!
Gemma

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2016, 19:43:02 pm »
SM I'd push that first nap a bit later, and see how you get on. I know she's up early but it's the equivalent of a 6-10.30 first A (roughly) and that seems a bit too short for us at times.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015