Author Topic: Basic question: Should EASY be EASYA following catnaps?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Gecko2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Basic question: Should EASY be EASYA following catnaps?
« on: August 04, 2014, 00:08:51 am »
Hi,

I'm just finding my feet with EASY again and I think I might have misunderstood that E immediately follows SY. Until recently I was feeding my son (DS2) as soon as he woke up to establish this pattern and increase the likelihood of getting some A before the next S. With my first son (DS1), this got me into trouble because he was a serial catnapper. Because I fed whenever he woke, he was feeding 2 hourly well past 3 months and it was difficult to stretch out his feeds to 4 hourly.

DS1 is 8 weeks old and seems happy with his 3 hour EASY for the most part and usually sleeps to suit this interval between feeds. On occasions that he doesn't however (for example the afternoon catnap or evening period)... should I be doing some A for a while until I see his hungry cues rather than offering a feed right away? On growth spurt days I revert to 2 hour EASY because he seems hungry on waking but I've just noticed that I'm offering a feed before he 'asks' for it. Should I wait for the cues every time he wakes even if it is around the 3 hour mark as well?

Thank you
DS1 (Aug 2011); DS2 (Jun 2014)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Basic question: Should EASY be EASYA following catnaps?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:18 am »
should I be doing some A for a while until I see his hungry cues rather than offering a feed right away?
I definitely would.  If he short naps a nap, I would let him stay awake for a bit before feeding him, if he's happy enough to wait.  Your A after the feed would probably be pretty short though, but at his age I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it yet.  :)

Offline Gecko2014

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:47:21 am »
That makes sense but I couldn't find it in the book. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 20:32:10 pm »
:)

Offline MarsMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 23:38:34 pm »
I just posted a new thread and then deleted it when I read this one -- I have the exact same question.

I'm wondering if following short naps -- and for my son (12 weeks), most of his naps are short -- I should wait for his hunger cues rather than offering a feeding right away. My concern is that EASY will fall out of whack if I do that. I like maintaining the routine and it's been working well so far. I just don't want to be feeding him too often.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:00 am »
As long as you have some A times after the E and he isn't using it to get to sleep so it becomes a prop then the principles of EASY will still apply. EASAEASAEAS etc. is fine.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Gecko2014

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 01:39:21 am »
I must be doing something wrong because I have the same concerns are Ali and I find that waiting too long to offer the feed (or waiting for the cues) can send everything out of whack. Let me give an example.

My DS was 5 months yesterday and we have been working on the 3hEASY-4hEASY transition for a few weeks. Some days I have had a nice 4hrly pattern but for the most part I get 4hrs between feeds in the morning, followed by 3hrly then an evening cluster (usually driven by me to facilitate tanking up). Today my son woke at 6:30 and I didn't attempt a resettle because my 3 year old was up and being loud. I did the first feed at 7 though to trying to preserve some routine. At 800 (his usual interval in the morning) he showed tired signs, self-settled quickly to sleep but only slept 45 minutes. I didn't feed on waking because the interval was only 2 hrs but I could not wait until 4 hours because he would be both hungry and tired by this point, resulting in a poor feed and probably at poor sleep as well. So we go for a walk to see if he wants to nap some more - he looked like he wanted to but didn't. I offer the the feed when we get home around the 3 hour mark so that he can finish the feed and have some A time before he gets too tired but he takes a long leisurely feed and I'm struggling to keep him awake to take a full feed. We have some quick A time and then into bed (roughly 2 hours awake at this time which is okay for him and he's looking tired). But he doesn't self-settle. I try a few rounds of shy-stroke head without success before getting him up.

He is likely to be OT now so I will need to help him to sleep at home or go for a drive. The rest of the day is likely to be impacted by the next, short OT sleep. I don't usually have trouble with settling if I put him into bed at the right time. He self settles within 20 minutes, usually within 5 or 10.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 21:59:09 pm »
Many breastfed babies don't make it go 4hrly feeds until a bit later.
I'd bet he is UT for that first nap hence the 45 min nap. I expect if you stretch A times to closer to 2hr.5hrs he would do a full nap.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011