Author Topic: correcting lazy latch in 8 week old?  (Read 5814 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: correcting lazy latch in 8 week old?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 08:21:30 am »
Thanks, I'm just getting too upset about this now! She seems to be taking less and less before starting to cry and then I just can't persuade her to go back on. Do you think I should start pumping after feeds to maintain my supply? I'm worried that it will just go down and down :( I don't know how people find time to do all that sterilising, pumping and top up feeding when so much of the day is taken up trying to get her to sleep and she has such short A times, she never gets a restful night as she's always pooing :( Not to mention I actually need to spend time with DS too especially once DH is back at work on Monday. I just feel we're heading towards all that pumping and I'm not sure how to cope with that as I can only imagine it ending up with lots of OT as I won't be able to get her to sleep early enough and then she'll feed even less effectively, she never feeds well when tired... She's really quite a happy baby, just not when I try to feed her!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:58 am »
Oh hugs. I'd assume she is taking what she needs even if you have to feed more often. Maybe pick a couple of times a day when you have more time to pump and do it then if you are worried about your supply dropping.

Is she sick with a virus like your friend suggested do you think? If so then this may be a temporary, hopefully.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 08:43:47 am »
DYT reflux is a possibility? The reluctance to feed, etc. sounds like it but the poops still being green and mucousy sound like maybe an intolerance.

Hugs xx hope you're able to get it sorted out soon.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:03 am »
Thanks, I've just no idea about anything now! Will be good to get the stool results back, to know either way. Not sure about reflux, she's not very sicky and doesn't seem to mind lying flat. She still seems well in herself so not sure about the virus theory ???

Offline trimbler

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 13:38:27 pm »
Just been to breastfeeding cafe where midwife/lactation consultant suggested osteopathy in case of discomfort during feeds leading to not properly draining the breast. Anyone heard of this working? Will let you know if it does!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 15:32:51 pm »
I have no personal experience but have heard of others on this forum who've had success.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 19:10:55 pm »
Ok so now another LC (appointment was booked before breastfeeding cafe!) who saw us today says posterior tongue tie, to be followed up on Tuesday...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 19:48:00 pm »
Oh I hope this makes some headway for you. Let us know how it goes.

Offline becj86

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 20:23:07 pm »
Fingers crossed for you. xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:32 am »
Hi, just wanted to update you as you've been so helpful.

Well, DD did have tongue tie and LC suspected silent reflux too. On ranitidine, which I think is helping to make her more comfortable during feeds, we don't get the same mid feed crying that we used to. Had the tie snipped, which certainly allowed her to move her tongue better initially, although I've found it hard to tell if it's really improved her feeding. The after care is a bit of a shock, feeding every 2-3 h around the clock again (having stretched them out nicely at night before!) for a week, plus twice daily wound massage for a month to try and prevent recurrence. So of course the former made her less hungry for each feed, whilst the latter (still going) results in two worse feeds each day, since of course she doesn't like the massage, although it would no longer be painful. And I think it might be recurring now anyway :( I've also been doing two consecutive feeds from each breast, and had no more bright green poos since both these things. Weight now creeping along 25th percentile rather than dropping down the chart as before, so that's progress :) stools still greenish, awaiting results for intolerance tests...

So, not yet the improvement I'd hoped for, but I've learnt some interesting things about tongue tie (e.g. A high proportion of mums with tongue tied babies don't experience any discomfort; a high proportion of babies presenting with reflux have reduced symptoms on sorting their tongue tie; for some babies, perhaps not ours, sorting the tongue tie can eliminate green stools), so I'll be recommending that other mums get their LOs checked for tongue tie early on and not just take the first opinion, as even many LCs can miss them.

But otherwise DD is very happy and developing nicely, certainly not presenting as a sickly baby :) thanks again for your help!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:57 am »
Thanks for updating us. Glad to hear there are some improvements :)

Offline becj86

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 20:12:55 pm »
Great that things are improving :)