Author Topic: Two and half year old that still doesn't sleep through the night  (Read 980 times)

Offline Sarona

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I am new to this forum so this is my first cry for help on here!! I am quite desperate now. My two year old boy hasn't slept through the night since he was born. He has pretty much suffered from nasal allergies and blocked nose throughout his two years. When his nose gets better he suffers from teething. He has and always wakes up at night looking for one or two feeds to go back to sleep. When he is sick it is worse. We use to co-sleep up until a month ago when we moved house…now he sleeps in the same room as his sister but in his own bed. He goes down well for the night but insists I sleep next to him. Then he wakes at night crying and looking for me or for dh. He use to wake up around 2am but now its getting earlier and earlier. Around 11:30. We try to not let him cry too much as we don't want to disturb his sister who has to get up for school. She is 6 years old.
We put him back to sleep once or twice now at night and then we give up trying. Instead we let him sleep in our bed. I know this is wrong but we both have been so tired and also suffering from allergies and colds.

Does anyone have some advice…I am so desperate for some sleep and need to recuperate.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Two and half year old that still doesn't sleep through the night
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:26:43 am »
Has he seen a doctor about the allergies/blocked nose? Just thinking if it were me and I was constantly stuffy I would be having disturbed nights too. Would any type of saline rinse help? Humidifier? Do you think it is the prop of having you there that is the issue or does it stem from him feeling poorly?
Heidi

Offline Sarona

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 14:13:23 pm »
Hi Masyn,

Thanks for your reply. Yes he has seen a doctor ..several times. He his now following a treatment. He is still getting rid of a irritating cough still though and he is also teething. So he often wakes at night coughing. I think he does feel a bit poorly but I think he has got use to me being next to him whilst he sleeps.

Not sure how to handle this. Wait for him to get better then try to make him sleep on his own..or try to do it anyway.

He seems to be sick all the time though!!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:43:15 am »
Hmm tough to know whether to push through when he may not be feeling his best. How long is the treatment supposed to be?
Heidi

Offline Sarona

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:36:25 am »
Yes I know. Thats why I keep doubting what to do. The treatment is for a month. He has already completed 10 days.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:50:04 am »
Has he shown improvement healthwise from where he was before? If so I would be tempted to try some st.
Heidi