Author Topic: Night wakings at 15 months-old  (Read 1842 times)

Offline NataliaSZ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:26:14 am »
Hi,

For the past month I've been having problems with my daughter's Maya sleep at night. Here is some basic informatoin about Maya:

How old is your child?
15 months

What’s his/her daily routine?
She wakes up in her bed at 7am, she eats her brekfast and then goes to grandmother where she gets her 2nd breakfast around 10-11, later goes to nanny where she takes her nap. It sometimes starts in a stroller, because nanny needs to travel 20min from grandma's house to her own. She sleeps between 1hrs - 2 hrs (where it usually is 1,5hrs), she falls asleep around 12-13.30. She east home-made soup after she wakes up, later around 15.30-16.00 she gets second meal (potatoes, meat and veggies). I pick her up at 15.30-16.00 she always smiles at me and runs with her arms opened.
She very often gets a little from our dinner too (she simply reaches for the food when we eat around 17.00). Then we go out to play till 19.00. She east yogurt or apples while she's out. She goes to bath 19.30, the around 20.00 goes to bed.

What’s nap routine?
She takes her first nap around 12.00 and falling asleep varies (sometimes she falls asleep in a stroller, and sometimes nanny calms her down, plays quiet music and puts her in a cot).

How long are naps?
The naps are usually around 1,5hrs long, but sometimes less than hour.

What's bedtime routine? Time?
She takes a bath every evening at 19.30 (hardly ever due to situation at 20.00). She then eats some dinner, but until beginning of July she ate whole bowl of porridge, she simply stopped liking it one day, now she eats a lot less, sandwiches with ham or cheese, always drinks tea. Later we give her around 15 min to play around but we talk quietly and usually I take her to her bedroom, we stand by the window as she enjoys looking out, then I take her and sing a little bit in my arms, when I see she is calmed down I put her down to her bed, where she usually falls asleep within 5-10min. Hardly ever she gets up crying, then I pick her up sing literally 1min longer and then she is ready to be put back to her bed. She falls asleep by herself after around 15-20 min of bedtime routine which means for us singing, telling a story, reading a book.

Do you bottle or breastfed??
Maya was breasfed till end of 9 months, and she refused to take bottle, so we started with porridge with milk which she enjoyed.

How much? or how long?
n/a
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
n/a
How many wakes per night?
Maya slept through nights since she was 7 months. She started waking up twice to three times a night (usually before 1am, then always once in the early morning 5-6am) since we got back from holidays (she slept very well while being on holidays), which means around 20th of July.

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
She wakes up crying, rather not mantra cry, she is standing or sitting in the cot. We go into her room and while she sees us she usually lies down herself, then we just touch her back and she falls asleep within 7-10 min.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
Sometimes it is a strong cry, sometimes just fussing.

What have you tried to settle??
When it was extremely strong cry we hold her in arm, however now it's been enough just to touch her back and say ssshhhh

What do you do for A time and how long is it?

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
Maya has already 16 teeth out. The last ones to come in recent weeks were the third teeth.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
No.
Do they have a lovie?
No.

I would like to help my child to sleep through the night. She used to sleep through the night and we heard Maya being awake because she started talking and playing in her cot. When she wakes up now she cries. She usually wakes up before 11pm and then before 1am. But she also started waking up before 6am, when she is still very tired. If we took her to our bed (we did that 3 times) she can sleep till 9am.
I don't want to take her to our bed, and I don't know why she wakes up at nights. She is very easy child. She stared walking also in the end of July (basically at the same time when the night wakings started).

She doesn't want neither food nor drink at nights.

Can you please suggest some methods? Could this be temporary? Since we got back from holidays she started walking and she started going almost every day out with other children to play in the park. Besides that she is very gentle, happy, joyful child. She can play with herself for quite long time. She seems to be in a period when mummy is the best calmer ever.

I will look forward for some help.

Thanks,
Natalia
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:53:35 am by NataliaSZ »

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Night wakings at 15 months-old
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 17:30:32 pm »
Hi Natalia - just going to bump this for you.  A few things I think could be the culprit - I think she may be a little OT.  A 1.5hr nap is decent but I think my LO was having a nap well over 2hrs at this age so I think that might be a factor.  I would try to keep her day at around 12hrs if possible (so if she wakes at 7am her BT should be 7pm) and if she naps anything less than 1.5hrs then move BT earlier.

Teeth could be another problem - are you giving meds before bed at all?

There is also a pretty good sleep regression around 18 months which co-insides with a fairly large developmental leap and some LOs can hit this early, which could be a factor as well.

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 15:38:50 pm »
hi there,

we have exactly the same issue, my DD is 15 months old and is walking for about 3 weeks. She is waking through the night around 1-5 times, very briefly and only quickly needs to be resettled. she also started STTN at 7 months. she is on 1 nap that usually lasts around 1.5hrs, seldom 2 hrs but other times only 1 hr. she wakes up at 7am and goes to bed at 7.30. being OT is the only explanation that makes sense in our case as she has no sleep props and falls asleep completely independently. I will try to put her down for 7pm or 7.10ish latest over the next days and see if that improves the situation. we have been on 1 nap for about 2 months, why is she actually not always having a 2+hrs nap? I thought that would come automatically? her first nap is at 11.30 and seems to be right timewise as she goes down for it very readily and well. natalie, let me know how things are going for you...
thanks for he advice. fran
Franziska

Offline NataliaSZ

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 16:29:18 pm »
Hi Lindsay27,

Thank you for reply. I also think her nap should last longer that what it usually does, however she is with her nanny at the nap.time, so really hard to control for me. I will definitely speak with nanny how to extend that time. Today, for example, she slept only 20min. She didn't manage to put her to sleep in her cot (she is at nanny's 12-16), because Maya cried a lot and refused being in cot. The nanny decided to take her for a walk and she slept only a little but it wasn't obviously a proper nap. She is absolutely tired now and we will put her to bed at 19.
I need to try to start putting her latest 7.30pm to bed. I believe (and hope) this is only temporary, the last two nights she slept without any waking, but her naps were 1h45min and on the next day over 2hrs which would make sense.
I will try to put her to bed earlier and make sure the naps last 2hrs.

It's good to hear Zissi that Im not alone with similar issue :-)

thank you for advices and getting back to me.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 19:29:19 pm »
I understand - my DS is in full time daycare so it's hard to make someone else realize how important daytime sleep is!  I think if her naps extend you should hopefully get better nights because she'll be less OT.  I think if the naps are going to be hit or miss while at Nanny's then an EBT is going to be your best friend  ;)

Offline NataliaSZ

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:27:01 am »
Hi again,

It's been few weeks later and we seem to be back at the same track.

Few days after I posted here, Maya started sleeping much better and she even slept through few nights in a row. She did wake up earlier, however I prefer getting up at 6 am after sleeping through all night, than getting up 2-3 times a night.

Unfortunately we have been having again the same problem since past 14 days. In the meantime we managed to make sure she gets a proper nap at her Nanny's (it's at least 1h30min up to 2h20min sometimes), she wakes up by herself and starts playing or talking, so she doesn't cry anymore. So this is good. We continue with the same night routine when we bathe her and feed her and we talk quiet and basically let her calm down. She had been falling asleep by herself very easily in her bed, and now for the past 3 nights it takes us around 45min before she is asleep. She seems very either tired or opposite - full of energy, but often crying and extremely hard to fall asleep. And then she wakes up around 1am and one more time during the night and again in the early morning 5.30am when I can see she wants to sleep more.

She had fever over the weekend, with no other symptoms so I assumed it was her tooth that finally came out. So there shouldn't be any more distractions. And obviously the stress and tiredness results in us (parents) being tired, angry and feeling helpless. I don't believe it needs to pass, I believe we're doing something wrong.

How can we fix it?

Natalia

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:31 pm »
Can you post her general EAS routine so I can take a look?  To me though, it does sound like it might be teeth related...have you tried giving any meds during the NW?

Offline NataliaSZ

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:07:04 am »
Hi,

Her EAS routine:

She gets up usually at 7am, eats her breakfast around 7.30-8 as she can be active playing a bit after waking up.
She then goes to her Grandma where she gets second breakfast around 10.30-11.00 (soft-bolied eggs or sandwich or yoghurt), she doesn't get any formula milk, she never liked it. She is not very keen on eating dairy products unless ut's youghurt or similar dessert).

She goes to sleep at 12.00 and her nap last around 1h45min up to 2h20min depends on the day, but for the past 2 weeks it doesn't go below 1h30min.

When she wakes up around 14.00 she will get her lunch at nanny's (which is a soup and about hour later second meal - potatoes, meat, vegetables) and she really enjoys that a lot. We don't have problems feeding her in the lunch time.

The it's her playtime, we usually go outside for 2hrs to play in the park with other children. Around 5.30-6pm she will get an apple/or banana/or
fruit dessert. But sometimes she will eat with us second lunch, she sees us eating around 16.00 or 17.00 and she demands that food too.

She eats dinner around 6.30-7pm, which would be chicken sausages, or bread with ham or dairy desserts. She has her bath before or after dinner, depends how tired she is, as we don't want to bath her when she is too tired as it may turn into cry during the bath. She usually has a bath and then dinner though.

She goes to sleep by 7.30pm.

Two nights ago she slept through the night from 7.30pm-7am without waking. Last night she woke up 2 times and just needed us to come and say "it's all ok, go back to sleep" and she fell asleep by herself. She rather doesn't want to be held in arm while she wakes up at night.

She gets meds only if I see she is suffering from teething. She already has 16 teeth out.

She drinks a lot during the day, usually water and a lot of tea (the same as we do).
I hope this helps more or less.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:06:53 am by NataliaSZ »

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 13:25:39 pm »
Your routine looks pretty good to be hun.  I remember my DS having some wonky sleep around 15 months too, lots of NWs if I recall and I believe it only lasted a few weeks and then things went back to normal.  I'm not sure that it is anything routine related IMO however likely something developmental or teeth.  I know that doesn't help you much, I can get some additional eyes on this.

Offline NataliaSZ

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 11:45:52 am »
Hi Lindsay,

Thank you for the reply.

I guess we are really trying to do most of the routines as it says in the book, so I guess it might be something developmental.
It changes a lot, there is no routine to her wakings anymore. For example last night, she woke up 5 times between 19.30 when she fell asleep and 23.00, then slept through till 5.30 and woke up and she must have suffered from stomachache because she had two poos. And went back to sleep.

I will try to give her meds for one night and will see if this helps at all.

When is actually the time when the molars start to come out? She has 16 teeth from up till the 4th ones including.

Natalia