Author Topic: Evening and night feeds taking forever  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Cvbaby2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:28:19 am »
I feed my LO before I put him down, and typically he is waking about once a night...he is 12 weeks.

These feeds can take forever...yesterday both were an hour...he isn't sleeping as I nudge him now and then and he is definitely gulping....just I guess pretty slowly.  He is also likely to be hungry for these feeds as he only gets about 6 feeds now.

I keep him upright after feeds for a bit, so this means the whole process takes a long time!

Has anyone else had these issues?  Is it just a phase?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Evening and night feeds taking forever
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:32:00 am »
He will get quicker as he gets older. I remember when it took me an hour and a half to feed, change nappy and resettle him and me back to bed. It didn't last forever though.

How long does he take to feed in the day? Is he feeding 3hrly during the day?

What about if you don't change the nappy (unless he has pooped of course) so as not to wake him up so much and don't nudge him if he is falling asleep?

Have you tried a dream feed before you go to bed rather than waiting for him to wake? That might be easier on you if you get it out of the way so you're not getting woken a few hours after you fall asleep.

He's actually doing really well to be having just one NF at this age so I suppose that is something to be grateful for at least.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Cvbaby2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:04 am »
I know that he I am super lucky that he is only waking once (at the moment!) - so I am reluctant to change anything.  His night feed is anytime from 2am-530am ... so is a little unpredictable. 
I am reluctant to do a dream feed as I am happy to got to bed at 9PM when he does (sad but true!)

I do only change his diaper when he poops, which only happens the odd time at night (it actually happened this morning).  The only hard time is when he wakes between 5-6am for a feed, I can get him back down for 2-3 hours sometimes (but my hubby has more luck usually)...but sometimes he is wide awake.
Ah well .. I don't mind at all that he takes so long...I just have a hard time staying awake myself!

He feeds around 3 hourly during the day - I try not to let him go longer.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 21:01:33 pm »
Yes if you prefer to feed later in the night then stick with that. We never really did the DF either apart from a few attempts here and there.

Have you tried feeding laying down with LO laying next to you so you can at least doze?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011