Author Topic: Hiccups and night feeds  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hiccups and night feeds
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:31:16 am »
My son is 1week old and i onky Bf. I have enough milk, he reached his birth weight on day 5 and is gaining weight very good. But the problem is a night he WU after 4-5h of last BF and is eating so i can hear he is swallowing fast and the milk is pouring in his mouth. After that we burp, but at night I don't want to stimulate him with burping too much. And sometimes he start hiccups and i hear gases in his stomach, and than he poo. He has so much "work" to do and he can't sleep. Tonight we needed 1,5h to get him back to sleep, but than he sleeps longer and is hard to keep him on EASY.

What to do? Any suggestions?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Hiccups and night feeds
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 20:05:42 pm »
Do you think you have an Overactive letdown? Check out our FAQ on the issue.
Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

I would definitely take the time to burp him over your shoulder. He can doze while you do it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:56:58 am »
Thank you! Yes i think that is an issue... I did burp frequently between the feeds and is getting better. I have also one question... Cluster feed at 8pm and dream feed at 23 are impossible. Yesterday i tried and i needed 15 min to start him grabbing the nipple, but he eate just a little. Than he woke at 1am and again at 2am for BF and than at 6am again, so total mess. Well it probably is growth spurt as he is 8days old, and i think that implementing EASY so strict is quite impossible at this age, right?
Thank you!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:09 am »
Yes it can be hard to get EASY going so early. We have a FAQ on that also Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks

You're right there is a GS 7-10 days old so he is likely going through that. Hang in there it does get better.

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:49:08 am »
Hey, we are doing much better,thanks! But our DS is now 3 weeks old and is gaining weight very good, aproximately 40g/day, he gained already 700g in 3 weeks. J have a question, during his naps I wake him up 2h of sleep to feed him on 3h, but he doesn't empty the breast - i think he is not hungry enough, because at night he WU every 3,5h and emptys breast totally. Do you think i can try to leave him to sleep during day naps- probably he would WU after 2,5h so we would go on 3,5 EASY. I also can't give him a proper cluster feeding, because if he BF at 4pm at 6pm he is not hungry enough and also at 8pm I can't give him cluster because i have to read a bedtime story for my DD(2y), i tried cluster at 8.30 but almost impossible. I left him to WU by himself, so he eats at 6pm, 9.30pm, 1am, 4.30am and 7am; but this means i have to WU twice a night...what do you suggest, since he is such a great eater, can we try 3,5h EASY?
Thanks!

Offline stanlece

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 21:07:20 pm »
Hi, sounds like everything is going very well for 3 weeks, I wouldn't worry he goes longer between feeds, some babies go 4 hours, some babies 2! With my first I found he would go 4 hours earlier in the day but 2.5/3 hrs in late afternoon. He's still so young and it sounds like easy is working well andhe's certainly putting on lots of weight!
What happened with the hiccups by the way? My little girl, also 3 weeks has this problem especially at night. Some nights I'm more patient and get wind up better but other nights when I'm tired it just gets worse and worse prob because I'm too tired to hold her upright for long enough. Sometimes shewears herself out so much from the e hiccups and groaning that when she does fall asleep she'll sleep for a long time.
Hoping will just improve with time! Think might have had same issue with my son but it just gradually got better so can't remember. Its funny how u forget!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 18:09:25 pm »
Yes you could try leaving him to wake by himself and feeding every 3.5hrs. I'd say 2 NFs atc this age is great.

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:22 am »
Well, tnx! The hiccups are better, but sometimes he WU in the night and also after 1h of sleeping during naps screaming like he is in pain, than i pick him up and he burps, i put him than back to sleep and he sleeps another 1h or so. But I am afraid he'll get used to that, than when he WU someone will pick him up... I hope this will pass soon. The "problem" is that he eats a lot in one bf and he burps like 3 or 4 times after bf, but still some air gets trapped in his stomach and bothers him during sleep. I fell I don't have enough A time to feed, burp and change diaper:)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:27 am »
Did you try some if the tips in the Overactive letdown link I posted above to help him take in less air?

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 19:07:24 pm »
Hey, yes I tried some of them, the hiccups are no longer an issue. But i have seen another problem. When i bf, he now eats quite calm, but still eating a lit of air apparently, because he burps 2 or3 times, and when i put him down for naps or night sleep he wu every 15 min for 1 h, and every time i pick him up, unswaddle than butp and swaddle him back. When he is swaddled he can't burp. Fo you have any suggestions what to do. I hope this won't come to accidental parenting. Tnx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 19:14:55 pm »
What about wind meds like Infacol? They help the air form big bubbles making it easier to bring up. Strange he wakes so regularly to burp. Do you think you need to burp him for longer or have a longer period of keeping him upright after a feed? Could reflux be an issue? Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 19:22:59 pm »
All his A time after Eating i have him upright, that is about 30 min, and he doesn't burp, but than when he is laying it's so many burps. I was thinking what if he eats too much, he doesn't stop eating, i never know when he has enough... I just take breast away when he starts pulling his legs towards stomach and when he is not eating calm anymore...i will read about reflux... It's really annoying...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 19:25:25 pm »
Are you feeding him in a laid back position? That is what helped me most with my Overactive letdown.