Author Topic: 7 mo old with bottle/overall food aversion?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline rebemuri

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 mo old with bottle/overall food aversion?
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:37:29 am »
Help please!! DS is turning 7 months old tomorrow. He has never been a good eater. Was exclusively breast fed until last month when we started to introduce solids. I live in Brazil and first solids recommended by pediatricians here are fruit and pureed meals (vegetables, etc.) DS has always been low on weight curves, but consistently gaining weight so pediatricians have always told me not to worry at all. He just has a different "rhythm".
The caregiver, trying to help given the weight situation, started to "force" the expressed milk and food in baby's mouth. She must've done this for a few days and rightfully so, DS did not like that one bit and now seems to have an aversion to feeding in general... mostly the bottle, but won't have practically any food at all... not even from the breast.
I've put everything aside and have stayed home all day for the last 4 days to make sure DS eats only what he wants and following his "rhythm". It has gotten slightly better, where he will have at least 5 oz of milk in the afternoon and another 5 or 6 before BT. But mornings are still awful. He will be up since 6am and by noon will have nothing in his stomach other than half an ounze of milk. :(
What can I do to get him to eat (even if little) again? I can't stay home all day and neglect work anymore, so I need a good plan! Any ideas out there would be veeeery appreciated!!
Rebeca

Offline rebemuri

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 7 mo old with bottle/overall food aversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:50:19 am »
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. It's getting worse. We've been taking it slow, and allowing DS to have only as much milk as he wants... to try to counteract the potential aversion, but it's not working. From 6am to noon, DS will have 3 ounces of milk. That's it. It gets better in the afternoon but total milk intake in 24 hours is VERY little. I am very concerned about his weight. Any ideas, please? How can I increase his milk intake, especially during the morning?
Rebeca

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 13:10:55 pm »
Could there be anything else going on like teething or illness? My DD2 had an aversion to food for a while after MIL & DH force fed her (she was supposed to take a medication with food but didn't want to eat) but she was quite a bit older.
Heidi

Offline rebemuri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 16:37:50 pm »
Perhaps teething... not sure. But it has been a week since he went from not eating well to eating hardly anything. :(
Rebeca

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 17:48:53 pm »
Sounds like it could be more than just an aversion...perhaps a trip to the dr is in order just in case.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 22:19:42 pm »
Have you tried feeding in a dark room immediately on wake up for naps or even right before naps?

I'd get him check out for ear infections etc. which can cause discomfort when eating too.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline rebemuri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 23:08:46 pm »
I will try that! Thanks!!
Rebeca

Offline rebemuri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 20:26:23 pm »
It did seem that something else was going on since his 2 upper teeth are beginning to show now. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we will soon go back to eating... a little, but at least eating! Thanks a lot for your advice. You were right on!
Rebeca

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 20:32:15 pm »
He's only young and many babies do to eat much at this age. A little bit of food is fine. Milk is his main nutrition right now.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011