Author Topic: getting a triple routine started  (Read 1146 times)

Offline babyrose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
getting a triple routine started
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:50:35 am »
It's been a while since I've been posting here for advice. My triplets are due  in 6wks maybe earlier and I just wanted some advice on a few this things.

At the scbu they would feed one baby then 30 mins later feed another and so on for changing etc where as my thought would have been more I feed two and df feeds the other.  What does other people think? Any advice would be great.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:56:10 am by babyrose »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: getting a triple routine started
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 21:16:05 pm »
I think many points in this post on twins may help On having Twinfants

I don't have any experience of multiples of course but I think I would try to feed two at once or you may find one or the other is constantly on your breast.

Are you thinking you would pump a bottle for your OH to offer or are you thinking he would offer formula in the bottle? I'm just wondering if you would have time to pump if that is the plan and perhaps DF would be better off doing the nappy changes and burping and settling to sleep etc. so you can just save time and feed directly from the breast.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:06 am »
Maybe the advice is more one of a time at the start as the positioning, latching, etc is so difficult at the beginning especially with tinier ones that it might be quite hard to do 2 at once?  I know my friend with twins said she had to feed them seperately for the first few weeks and then together after that.

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:46:35 am »
I didn't exclusively bf for long but like Erin said, I did find it hard to keep them latched well at the same time. Often you have to do the football hold and for me I just didn't like it very much and as awful as it sounds felt rather like a cow as opposed to a nurturing mother :P like Ali said doing them separately does mean you can spend hours bf'ing, I remember one time I was sat at the same spot for hours with one off the other on b/c it took so long to feed them ::) once you all have the hang of it you can try 2 at the same time. Actually a way I liked doing both was to have them so that they were vertical to me cradled in each arm. This worked really nice at the hospital where you could set the bed and cushions to the perfect angle, but a bit harder at home, but it was pleasanter than having them on the pillow in football hold. However you're using both hands so if one comes off its a pain to get them to relatch. I would say be flexible and initially do whatever works for your survival ;)

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:56 am »
The SCBU plan is likely one of practicality, as feeding prem babies can take quite some time and many parents with multiples like to have the opportunity to feed each one during a 'visit'.  They may be fed two-hourly to begin with depending on age/weight anyway so it's not like you have to stick with the SCBU plan once you're home, or even that the initial SCBU plan will stay the same throughout their stay.  I won't ramble on too much but do feel free to pm me if you want to chat/ask any questions about how things work in SCBU with feedings, routines etc - it's my area :)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 16:48:06 pm »
I exclusively BF my twins for 13 months and I tandem fed nearly all the time. Very happy to discuss it and pass on what worked for us. I did feel like a cow a bit to begin with but then it became easy and natural and a lovely way for all 3 of us to have a cuddle. The girls used to hold hands sometimes!

My friend with trips did a 3 day rotation - so on Monday say trip A had left breast, B had right and C had formula. Then they changed every day. She assigned them each a colour and had the correct colour hair and on each wrist so she remembered!

From looking at your posts I think they are being born, so good luck, and please let me know if you want to hear more from me!