Author Topic: What do I do about my boobies!?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
What do I do about my boobies!?
« on: October 14, 2014, 16:07:27 pm »
Baby decided he no longer wants to nurse. He's 8mo old and won't take a sip!
It's been three days now and man, my boobies are sore! :(
What can I do to relieve the engorgement?

What happened was that my LO was gradually loosing interest so I replaced his final feeding of the day with formula  via cup and straw.
Today, we just got back from a 3 day road trip during which the fiasco took place. I could NOT get him to take a sip. On the first day I said: "Well, if you don't want it, you don't get it." and did not give him formula instead. But, on the second day, I did offer formula because I did not want him to not have his milk. So, now he rejects BM all but his morning feed and I've got little hard boobs as a result.

I assume they adjust, right? Is there anything I should be doing? I don't want to start pumping and get the milk to keep producing. I'm ok with not breastfeeding anymore since it was SUCH a struggle to get him to drink. And once I drop the last feed, how do I do that? 

Not sure why this sudden change. His sleep has digressed and he doesnt have as much of an appetite overall. I think he's teething (his first molar).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: What do I do about my boobies!?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 20:56:39 pm »
If you want to use this opportunity to wean him then yes your supply will adjust eventually. You may just wish to hand express a minimum amount for your own comfort.

Teething can definitely cause a nursing strike as the act of suckling the breast causes discomfort for the sore gums. It is usually only temporary.

These FAQs have useful info
Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?
Weaning
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 21:00:03 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011