Author Topic: has ds latch changed?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
has ds latch changed?
« on: October 16, 2014, 18:30:51 pm »
Can they change how they latch? I've noticed the past 2 or 3 days it feels like his latch or something is different and it's making him take in lots of air so he's been really fussy. It's like he is taking in too much nipple and then it curls up and hits the roof of his mouth or something...it's hard to describe but I've noticed it makes me a little sore while nursing. If I pull my breast skin tight so he can't take much in it helps but sometimes he can't get latched in at all. I thought maybe he was teething (he's been super drooley lately) and maybe he is changing his latch bc his gums are sore??

[/url]

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: has ds latch changed?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 18:49:27 pm »
DD3 changed her latch while teething, I don't remember the older two doing it but was very noticeable with her. It was just for a few days right before & during when the teeth broke through.
Heidi

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 19:46:01 pm »
Oh man....I can't believe he might be teething already :( it does seem probable though bc he seems to be compensating foe something.  And suggestions on what can help? Oragel??

[/url]

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 20:19:30 pm »
My first son changed his latch when teething, so that would have been my suggestion to you as to what may be going on.
I've found TEETHA homeopathic granules to be very effective on both of my boys when they were teething.

Try to be as particular as you can about the latch to minimise any damage to yourself. Also, remember, teething is only temporary and "this too shall end".

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 20:28:05 pm »
I haven't seen that specific brand here but we did have another variation of the granules here...guess it's time to grab some. I'll be sure to be mindful of his latch bc I don't want any damage on my end that's for sure!  It would also explain why he is fussy when he is never normally fussy. How does bf work once they have teeth...how do you teach them not to use them??

[/url]

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 20:39:15 pm »
The most important thing to remember & keep in forefront of your mind is that Baby can not feed and bite at the same time. Watch and pay attention (especially at the end of a feed) when Baby stops actively sucking, as they can take a little "nip" at you then  :o
The best thing I used to do was *smoosh* Baby right into my breast if they did clamp down and bite....they have to open their mouth and come off the breast for breath. It's best not to give a massive reaction (yelping, ouch, etc) as it can frighten some babies or encourage others to think its a game  :P
I used to also close my nursing bra & say "no biting. Mammy doesn't like that" and then resume the feed maybe half a minute later.

FWIW, I fed my first boy to 6 mths (&4 teeth) and my second boy to just over 14months (& 8 teeth & 4 molars all breaking thru).

HTH

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 00:48:44 am »
Yrs it definitely helps.. I'll keep the smoosh technique in my mind for when the time comes!!

[/url]