Author Topic: Baby disinterested in feeding after sleeping all night!  (Read 1353 times)

Offline VC25

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby disinterested in feeding after sleeping all night!
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:19 am »
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have been using EASY with our son for almost 1 week now. He is doing great, despite all the accidental parenting corrections we needed to make. One thing I have noticed, however, is that after going all night without being fed, my son seems disinterested in nursing. He latches fine and will suck for a while, then starts craning his head and trying to look around/popping off the nipple/smiling, etc. He has been on acid reflux meds since 8 weeks (now 17) but this behaviour is not typical of him and has only started since we cut out night feeds.

Anyone else have/had a similar situation? Should I adjust my routine to AEAS?

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Baby disinterested in feeding after sleeping all night!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »
What is your EASY routine in the day?

Did you actively wean the NFs or did he start sleeping through just as a result of implementing EASY?

You could try feeding in the still dark bedroom before he really wakes up or Some LOs just don't like to eat as soon as they wake up. What if you waited half an hour before offering the feed?

If he stops after a few minutes does he want another feed soon after?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline VC25

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 13:01:29 pm »
Hi Ali, thanks for responding.

We didn't slowly ease out of night feeding. DS was waking at the same times each night so we figured it was habit. We started following the sample 4-hour routine from The BW Solves All Your Problems on Saturday. That night he woke an hour later than normal and took about 45 minutes with PUPD and Shush-Pat to get back to sleep. Woke around 7. The following night it was 10 minutes Shush-Pat, woke at 7. The next two nights he slept all the way through. He was up once Wednesday night, and up quite a few times last night (Thursday night) but we have a cold in our house right now so I think DH's coughing was waking him up.

I've tried changing his diaper and "chatting" with him first. I've also tried waiting half an hour or more and put him back on the boob, but he still responds the same way ??? I tried three times this morning and only noticed he took to it well when he was getting tired. Maybe he is still hoping I will nurse him to sleep (what I was doing before EASY)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 13:23:17 pm »
Is he having a DF or sttn from 7-7pm? I'd be careful about actively weaning feeds if he is only getting the 4 daytime feeds. Most babies will need more at this age.

Yes he could just be used to feeding when sleepy. Are you sure he hasn't just got more efficient and only needs the 5-6min feeds?

Maybe try picking him up and nursing as soon as he wakes in the dark room (so there is nothing else to distract him) then when he comes off and starts looking around you could try changing his nappy and offering the other breast.

Offline VC25

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 19:49:51 pm »
I do a dream feed around 10:3 p.m. Other feeds during the day are fine and he is focused on what he is doing and, yes, does only need about 6 or 7 minutes. Now that I think about it, when he was 2 and 3 months and I was tracking his routine, his morning feed was also irregular

I will certainly try your suggestions and see how he does  :)

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 20:02:52 pm »
I hope it helps

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:09:31 am »
My DD was the same - she actually only fed about 2 hrs later before a nap. It was just the only way it worked  ::).

She is 4.5 now and still the same  ;). It's a nightmare trying to feed her before school in the morning. She isn't a morning person!

For us it was a personality thing and so the structure of EASY needed adapting.

Offline zoem

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:45:51 am »
I am having the same problem with my 12week old. *liz* how did you adapt your EASY? I wouldn't know when to feed him again after feeding him just before the nap.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:01:33 am »
I used to try again when she woke, but then she would only take a bit and need a feed before the next nap.

So AES  ::), but made sure she didn't completely fall asleep. Obviously it did make her drowsy, then I did wind down and straight to bed.

I realise some babies would prop associate, but mine didn't. Plus if I did EAS it was 40 min naps all day, she needed her milk for a longer nap as well.

Offline zoem

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:25 am »
Mmm I guess the main thing is to wake them up after that feed. I had the same thing this morning so I fed him before the nap.he fell asleep and I woke him up and then pay him to sleep and he slept for 1h45mins and was ready to have a good feed after that.  I think this may be the way to go.we are in sync now so maybe I only need to AES for the first nap...

Offline zoem

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:57 am »
That's patted him to sleep not pay!