Author Topic: Help I'm sick. Mastitis? Supply issues please help  (Read 1510 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Help I'm sick. Mastitis? Supply issues please help
« on: October 19, 2014, 21:56:01 pm »
I woke up this morning really engorged on the right side.  We co sleep and ds hadn't woken to switch sides.  I also woke up with an awful headache that I thought was from staying up 'late'. Ds has nursed several times and the breast no longer feels engorged but it's still sore. Around noon I started getting chills. My whole body aches and my nose was running for a bit and my eyes burn like when I have a bad cold. Most recently I got really nauseous but it's not as bad now.

Does this sound like mastitis or a flu/cold? I should add DH says his head hurts and he's tired but not feeling as bad as a do.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 16:35:02 pm by CCCmom27 »

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Help I'm sick. Mastitis?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 22:08:14 pm »
When I had it just my t shirt touching my breast was painful but I also had the headache and burning eyes etc. I'm not sure but I'm sure one of the pros will hop on soon...The best thing for it is to keep the milk flowing.  They told me to pump like crazy and get in a warm shower and squeeze.

[/url]

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 22:10:23 pm »
Sorry I have no btdt experience, but I know from reading that it can have flu like symptoms.

Mastitis/Plugged Ducts
Heidi

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 00:16:01 am »
Thanks for the link I can't tell if it's hot bc I'm so hot all over.  I guess I'll call the doctor in the morning if I still feel like this...should I call my ob or just regular doctor?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:47:11 am »
My ob prescribed me abx for mastitis twice when I had it -- the third time we had just moved so I went to a walk in clinic and they prescribed them.  If you have a fever I'd definitely call, if you had red streaks on your breast I would definitely call as well.  If you don't you might wait and see -- it can resolve on it's own if it's just a blocked duct.  Compresses are really helpful, make sure the breast is getting drained -- Advil is totally ok so it doesn't hurt quite so much when he's feeding.

Offline CCCmom27

Re: Help I'm sick. Mastitis? Supply issues please help
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 16:33:52 pm »
I think it's messed with my supply...it's in the side that has been favored by all three boys and it produces a lot more. Any idea how long the supply dip will last.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 16:35:50 pm by CCCmom27 »

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 19:05:01 pm »
At your little boy's age, I would imagine that so long as you are frequently putting him to the breast your supply should re-balance. You're still in the early stages where your body will be sending signals for how much milk to produce, so the prescription of "bed, rest and empty breast" for mastitis  should see you good again before too long. Sorry, but no BTDT experience of mastitis (thank god)
Hope you feel better soon. Try and take things easy - it may be your body signalling you to slow down a bit.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:46 am »
At your little boy's age, I would imagine that so long as you are frequently putting him to the breast your supply should re-balance.
^^^this

I don't remember if I had supply dips the times I had mastitis, but I know we didn't have any long term negative effects, so I would think all will rebalance.  How are you feeling now?

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:58 am »
Ok still have some chills and shooting pain in my boob.

I think Griffin and I will spend tomorrow on the couch and rest better than I did today.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 04:09:11 am »
(((Hugs))), hope you get to rest more tomorrow. I have no BTDT advice, but I agree with the other ladies. My BF is prone to mastitis and got it when her DS2 was ~3mo. She was struggling so went to see a LC and the breast that had mastitis was only producing a tsp or so. She nursed every couple hrs for several days and I think started on that side each time and her supply came right back. So, just as PP said your breasts are still in the stage of regulating and producing to meet his needs, so it should come back fairly quick.

Love the new ticker and his name, BTW. Harrison was always on my list! :)

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 20:18:41 pm »
Just wanted to update that luckily I jumped to the wrong conclusion when he was fussy while feeding. A great BW helped me out and the doctor confirmed that it's a taste issue. I was beginning   to think reflux when DH offered a bottle of ebm and he did the same thing. I'm still feeling run down and tired which the NWs from 230 on didn't help but so relieved it's not a supply problem hopefully we both sleep better tonight!!

Thanks again for all your help ladies!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 20:33:47 pm »
Glad for the good update!

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 19:40:19 pm »
Anyone else have residual pain as the nurse called it? I started having pains again this morning and luckily was going for my PP checkup and she said it could just be residual.  The doctor did feel any masses or anything but wants me to have an US to make sure it's cleared up.  Really hope the abx are working I still have two more days worth to take.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 03:15:25 am »
I honestly can't remember if I did or not.  I'd just keep being careful with your ds' latch on that side just to make sure he's getting a good deep latch every time he feeds.  Hope it clears up soon!