Author Topic: Ds is favoring one breast  (Read 1144 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Ds is favoring one breast
« on: October 22, 2014, 17:11:00 pm »
So do far today and most of yesterday he would only latch on to my right breast and be fussy with it for 2 or 3 minutes so I would switch to my left and he would be fine. Is this normal? I think it's making it hard to stretch out time out bc he's getting so much fore milk...

[/url]

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Ds is favoring one breast
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 20:35:45 pm »
All three of mine favor the right. With C it wasn't so bad but G would only nurse on that side for few minutes then we'd switch. I just went with it and never worried about it and always offered it but since getting mastitis in the 'good' one and getting worried about the supply I'm honing to try and build up my supply in the left.

Is there a different position he might prefer on that side?

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:31:48 am »
I pretty much hold him the same way but he just seems to settle in better to the left the past few days. ..

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »
Can you try holding him in a rugby hold under your right arm so he is lying on the same side he would be were he feeding from the left breast in a cradle hold? I know some people have success starting with the left breast and then not moving his position just shifting him over a few inches so he's at the right breast without really realising it.

Sometimes an ear infection or cold can make it uncomfortable for LO to lay on a certain side to feed so it's worth keeping an eye in any symptoms like that or getting him checked by the dr. Teething can also make BFing uncomfortable for a while.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:50:18 pm »
My DS preferred the right, and my right breast was actually fuller as he was sucking more there. I think that the reason for that is that the number of holes from where milk was coming was higher in the right than in the left, so milk supply was faster and he was less frustrated and happier to feed there.
Barbara

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 00:20:30 am »
Ali we have actually been suspecting teething for a week or 2 here bc his latch has gotten a little weird. Not every time like it was but it's still weird sometimes. But I would think by 2 weeks somwthing would be popping out or in would feel a more prominent bump but my mom said those first ones can take a while...I feel like ds just pooped in. That's smart to try that hold son it feels the same though.  The right boob is next so I may try it of he doesn't seem to settle in. Today has been a little better. 

[/url]