Author Topic: breast milk only lasts for one hour?  (Read 913 times)

Offline duoduo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:51:26 am »
what can I do? I read FAQ, I agree that breast milk only lasts for one hour doesn't mean I don't have enough milk supply, and I also tried to let my boy ( almost 4-week-old)eat both sides 2 times, but not every time, as sometimes he doesn't even want my nipple, just bottle, and he will cry, refuse breast until I give him bottle. since he wants bottle so badly, 6/8 times I have to add bottle after breast.

how can breast milk lasts longer? or it can be fixed by time, when the baby grows up, it will be better?

thx.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 19:13:12 pm by duoduo »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: breast milk only lasts for one hour?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:06:26 am »
Hi there! Do you think he may be having a growth spurt? Or has had one recently? Mine always fed more frequently then and the thing is if you keep topping up with formula then your body will never get the message to increase supply as the baby is not demanding it.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: breast milk only lasts for one hour?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 17:18:07 pm »
It sounds like he is developing a bottle preference which is always a danger when giving many bottles a day alongside the breast as he has to work more for the milk from the breast.

I'd stop the bottles for a bit if you want to continue nursing. The first 6 wks are the time in which your supply is still being established.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline duoduo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 19:19:09 pm »
he wants bottle since he was born, so don't think it's a growing spurt. but too many bottles can be a problem.
started today, in the daytime, try to breast feed only, and feed him whenever he wants, sometimes he cries and refuses nipple, but I just stick to my plan, this morning, he slept 2 hours without bottle, don't know if he's too tired or he was full, we will see.
good to know that in 1st 6 weeks , supply is still being established, it's not too late to change feeding method, hope it works.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 19:41:14 pm »
Great Hon! Will keep fingers crossed for you. It's never too late in my opinion, but sometimes it's just very difficult. But agree with Ali that 6w are important at it shouldn't be so difficult for you to establish a better supply if you stick to only BF for couple of days and feed on demand!
~Marta