Author Topic: Give up breastfeeding at almost 11 months?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Give up breastfeeding at almost 11 months?
« on: November 06, 2014, 19:22:21 pm »
Hi ladies
Just after some advice regarding my DD which will be 11 months on the 15th november. She is exclusively breast fed and I had planned to do it til she is 1 years old. However for quite a few months now I have been concerned that she isn't getting enough breast milk. She is down to 3 feeds a day (since about nearly 10 months old), as she started categorically refusing her 3pm feed. She literally only feeds for a few minutes each breast and pulls off and refuses to go back on. She is putting on weight, but isn't the biggest baby, but her growth chart is showing steady growth. She has a good appetite for solid foods. I feel my milk supply is really low. So I don't know if it's because I'm not producing enough milk for her or whether it's because she is satisfied and getting enough. She sleeps through the night, usually 11 hrs (am trying to get that to 12 by reducing her daytime nap lengths). I was thinking that maybe she is eating too much solids but I'm reluctant to reduce this as a) she enjoys it b) I don't think I would produce enough milk to compensate.

Although I had planned to breast feed til 1 I would put her on formula for the last month and a half if it's what I need to do. What do you think? Is she getting enough?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Give up breastfeeding at almost 11 months?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 19:30:38 pm »
If she's sleeping and growing well I wouldn't worry at all. She may well just be an efficient feeder!

My DS was down to only a few feeds a day by then too. The bedtime one was the last to go.

There is no problem with switching to formula if that's what you decide would be preferable. My DS pretty self weaned at 10.5months (he looked at me like I was bonkers when I offered him a feed!) and I decided to go with it since I was planning to move him onto cows milk at age 1 anyway. I felt like I was letting him lead the way instead of me trying to push him in a certain direction. If you feel your DD has a certain preference there's no harm in following it as long as she's getting a good balance.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 22:07:47 pm »
I'm sure she is getting enough if she is growing steadily and has been EBF all this time. Personally I would continue with the BFs until 12mo and then if you want to wean her you can go straight to an alternative milk like cows milk rather than do bottles and formula for 4-5wks. In the UK at least we are recommended to be rid of bottles and formula by 12mo so I wouldn't start them now. From 12mo solid food will be her main source of nutrition and milk becomes less important. Otherwise the WHO recommend breastfeeding along side complimentary foods until 2yo and beyond.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Nymphadora

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 22:44:22 pm »
Realistically though will she take the formula and can you swap that easily? My ebf 10 month old won't touch expressed BM or af from bottle/ cup so not sure what I will do when I go back to work as I work shifts inc nights when he is 1 year old.

Do what works for you but prob easier to keep going? Not long? Good luck making your decision x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:03 am »
Nymphadora, If you wish to you can still breastfeed morning and evening for example (or whatever two feeds fit around your shift that day) and that should be enough milk for him after 1yo. Solid food is their main source of nutrition by then. Then you could offer water or cows milk in a cup with meals. He may not start taking those other drinks until you are away and he realises BFing is off the agenda.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011