Author Topic: Post bronchiolitis cough and feeding issues 4 months  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Bears mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Post bronchiolitis cough and feeding issues 4 months
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:20:33 am »
LO is 19 weeks. Until 3 weeks ago he was feeding 4 hourly in the day and 2-3 times per night. I was about to start encouraging reduction in night feeding ( refluxers on meds) when he became I'll with what I initially thought was a cold. Over about 4 days he reduced his intake and would have little more often. I expressed the rest and fed him by bottle when he was too bunged up to feed on breast. He then was diagnosed with bronchiolitis and had about 3 days of difficulty breathing.
Things seemed to improve hut he was left with a lot of wheeze and a productive cough. He continued to feed at most 3 hours and I fed through the night too. I think he lost a little weight but not much.
Then he seemed to get another cold about 8 days ago. Bunged up again, breathing and coughing worse. He went off food for a couple of days and fed erreactically and only for very short bursts. He got diarrhoea and I wondered if it was because he only ever seems to get the fore milk now. Nights are horrendous with the coughing and as it sounds dry and rasping I often end Up feeding. Day and night now it's 2-3 hourly. He is getting better but seems slow and I know the cough can linger for weeks. I am worried that he now wakes almost hourly from about midnight and I feed about 2 hrly so must be creating some terrible habits. Have I got any options? (Weight is fine now).

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Post bronchiolitis cough and feeding issues 4 months
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 02:07:13 am »
(((Hugs))) hope your lo is starting to feel better. Personally even though it probably will create a habit I would feed as lo demands it when they are sick and once all is well then focus on getting things back on track.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 20:30:51 pm »
Yes I would feed on demand right now. He might be using the milk to soothe his sore throat, poor thing. Plus the breast milk will help him fight off the bugs.

Only when he is all better would I look to reduce the feeds if he doesn't seem to cut back on them in his own.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Bears mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 20:18:54 pm »
Thanks, think I sort of knew that. Just exhausted!  :-\