Author Topic: 1 year old still waking up 2-3 times a night or more.  (Read 810 times)

Offline kjr928

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
1 year old still waking up 2-3 times a night or more.
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:06:05 am »
Hello there mommies. I am tired of this.

In the beginning when I would put DS down, he would go down awake and I would sit with him for just a few minutes until he was calm. It very gradually transitioned to him holding my hand to sleep and then always wanting to cover his face with my hand.

Then teething started, then a cold, then sitting up, then pulling up, then more teething, and I always felt like I needed to put off dealing with the hand issue. Eventually it started taking up to an hour to get him to fall asleep at night. Now I have finally "started" dealing with it by not allowing him to put my hand on his face to sleep (only as high up as his belly for now), and it has helped trendously. I am planning on gradually removing it all together. So that is our "prop" issue.

So why is he always waking up all night long? I am still BFing him morning, afternoon & night - then at least once or twice after bed. But he wakes up REPEATEDLY. I never go to him immediately - I'd say about 50% of the time he cries for a little while and goes back on his own. When he can't seem to calm down I go to him and then sometimes I sit with him and sometimes I BF him. And I'm sure it's related but he's always really crotchety and rubbing his eyes all day long.

Some possible issues? Teething, learning to walk, now a cold, the hand prop... Maybe something with feeding? He is getting regular table food as well as baby food and he's on Zantac. This has progressively gotten worse in the last month I think.

730 wake & bf
8 breakfast (cereal & fruit)
1130 yogurt
12 - 2 or 230 nap
230 BF and vegetable like sweet potato
5 dinner (pasta w sauce or chicken noodle, etc)
7 bf and bed

And so far tonight he has already woken up 5 times and it's only 1am. 1 time I bf'd him, 1 time I sat with him and 3 times I ignored and he fell back to sleep.

Can someone please advise? I don't know what to do. He's keeping me awake half the night every single day and then he's a nightmare all day. I have no peace!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: 1 year old still waking up 2-3 times a night or more.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 15:53:45 pm »
I am going to move this to the toddler sleep board.

Your EASY seems good, I wouldn't change anything for now.

Do you think that it's pain that wakes him up at night? Is Reflux flaring? Is the teething really bad?
Do you think he is still hungry at night or you feed him because you don't know what else to do?
If it's not hunger and not pain (we have to rule these first) then he might need some ST :) I wouldn't do PU/PD if he still suffers from his Reflux because PU/PD doesn't suit babies with Reflux, but you could do WI/WO (walk in/walk out) or you could stay in his room and comfort just with your voice.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Frostygrrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 1 year old still waking up 2-3 times a night or more.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 20:42:12 pm »
Sounds like my little one. She just turned 1 and still wakes twice with ew.

Hugs to you.