Author Topic: Extending A time  (Read 1145 times)

Offline GmumofT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:18:21 am »
Good morning. I'm new to EASY and have let my little one (7 weeks, good birth, good weight, BF, very hungry, grumpy baby, poor sleeper) get into a few bad habits. I've read the book and a few posts about A time and an appropriate length for the age of the baby.  My son has just managed 52 minutes, which I think is about typical of him. However, he doesn't nap for long after that. Which in turn means I don't have a good hefty feed produced in time... I have two questions.
I saw the advice of lengthening the A time to then ensure a better nap and feed.  However, can't find find out 'how' to extent the ten minutes suggested. To I simply ignore his cues and attempt to keep him awake?  Or is this another technique I'm not aware of?
When he wakes from a nap he immediately wants to eat, no matter how short the nap.  Would you recommend more A to ensure he feeds at the more appropriate (and intended routine) time?
So confused but really keen to get this sorted as he's become reliant on us for rocking  soothing, sleeping and settling - habits we want to break immediately!
Thank you!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Extending A time
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:38:56 am »
Hi there,

It's good to use quiet activities to extend A time if your LO seems tired (but you still think they need more a time) eg Sometimes I find a quiet walk around the house/garden for 5-10 mins is a good way to spend the time or, so she's older, cuddling on the sofa looking at some books (but my spirited dd1 wasn't into quiet snuggles so this wouldn't have worked for her).

Perhaps you could post an example of a few days in EAS format and we can see if there are any changes you could make.

Since  he's only 7 weeks then yes, I'd feed if he seems hungry, even if seems a bit soon. He could be on a GS. However, you could try distracting him a bit and see if that works to lengthen out the gap between feeds. If distraction doesn't work and he still wants to feed, then I'd go ahead and feed him.

It's really early so don't worry too much that he still needs help to nod off - this is very normal.

Have you seen this? It has loads of great advice about starting easy and helping you LO to learn how to sleep independently.
Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:02:07 am by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Extending A time
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 14:36:17 pm »
Moving you over to the EASY forum as well.  :)