Author Topic: An age appropriate WIWO for a 2 year old  (Read 1733 times)

Offline peacefulwarrior

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 09, 2014, 15:55:47 pm »
Hello awesome ladies!
We have done very little sleep training with my 2 year old son.  (Turning two this week!)
And so I wanted to see what you recommend for a WIWO protocol for his age.  We did WIWO with my daughter but we had also done PUPD with her so she was used to sleep training.
We basically want to get him to fall asleep on his own (without us having to come back in and rub his back and calm him).
So this will only be used for bedtime, not during night time wakings.
He's getting very strong willed so wondering what your recommendations are :)
Thanks!
Monica

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: An age appropriate WIWO for a 2 year old
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:39 am »
Hi Monica,

It really is down to the personality of the child, as well as the age. I'm not exactly sure if there were specific age recommendations from Tracy, but I do know your DS is the age where either could work.  WI/WO drove our Son nuts!!! It wasn't until he was almost 4 that he would tolerate it, he would literally blow his top lol. However, some LO's do really well with it. I have used GW many times for Sam, and always go back to it for regressions.

If he is, as you say strong willed, I suspect GW might be the way to go. Take a look at this link and get back to me, then we can formulate a plan :)

Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Oh and welcome by the way  :-*

x.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: An age appropriate WIWO for a 2 year old
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 17:49:36 pm »
without us having to come back in and rub his back and calm him

If you are doing this already then I would also do GW. To just remove this comfort from him straight away would just upset him and we don't want to do that! I would start by just rubbing less and less and using your voice more ie sleepy phrase or a shh.