Author Topic: Low supply after flu, anyone hold my hand?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Low supply after flu, anyone hold my hand?
« on: January 14, 2015, 22:00:37 pm »
Hi, this is new for me, last time I was on here it was oversupply and green poo! I've been block feeding. (LLRRL etc) which was working nicely, DD wasn't soaring through the charts but doing ok and stools much more normal.

So, we went away over Christmas and New Year and just before Christmas DD got ill :( big drop in appetite, I ended up hand expressing in the shower as I was so uncomfortable and a couple of days later got a big migraine - I had a run of these when gradually weaning DS so almost definitely related to less milk being taken. Then she got better and things appeared normal (although I did have another migraine), but just after New Year she got the flu :( another big drop in appetite, then I came down with it a couple of days later and also got my first period since she was born - which I'm also pretty sure was related. So it's been a nasty bug, we're still not back to our usual energy levels and have a lingering cough, but DD did seem to be much better a few days ago and I'm getting there too :) however, I noticed her output was less than usual and also that she's been wanting both sides at a feed and then wanting more later or just not seeming satisfied afterwards. I can't always let her take ages over a feed due to preschool drop off and collection, which is about an hour round trip each. But she's always taken a good half an hour over a feed anyway. So, last time I pumped before Christmas I easily got 4oz from one breast, although I might have got more if I'd pumped longer. Tonight I decided to try pumping to increase supply and see how much I was getting, but only got 1oz :( after a lot of effort! That was around 2h after I'd finished the BT feed on the same side, since I'm using the other side for df and didn't want to use it all up!

Ok so please could someone just hold my hand through this and help me work out a sensible approach? Haven't taken her to baby clinic due to our bugs so don't know how this has impacted her weight but I'd really be surprised if she's put much on at all during the last few weeks, she may have lost for all I know. Oh and she's not interested in solids yet, only had tasters on her lips as she doesn't even open her mouth!

So far I've been trying switch feeding and some compression although I'm not good at remembering this especially when DS is pestering me for something! I've also offered extra feeds - well, she's asked for them, but sadly I can't always oblige eg when picking up DS. Also she's still sleeping more than usual - and I understand why, having the same myself, this virus has really taken it's toll! But that also means less time available for feeding. I'm only offering solids at breakfast but am reluctant to stop since we've already stopped twice since staring a month ago and she hasn't had much opportunity to learn what to do! Although I realise the milk is way more important than that especially in our situation. She's been taking quite long and sleepy BT feeds, so I've ended up staying on one side since she's so tired by the time she finally comes off. But do you think we'd be better off switch feeding instead. Also just takes one side at df, since she won't go back on once off then.

The other question I had is about pumping, I'm not sure when and how to do it? I don't want to leave DD with less milk for her next feed, so how long in advance of a feed should I pump? Should I always try to pump both sides? Should I get up in the middle of the night to pump, since she sttns? Obviously I really don't want to do that as I'm still recovering myself and not getting enough sleep, but if it would make a big difference to my supply then maybe I should?

Ok thanks my head's in a fuzz and can't think of anything else now, trying not to panic but I think the situation has kind of crept up on me due to not being able to think clearly and now it's got a bit scary! She's never taken a bottle, or syringe, or finger feed (tried all these before she had her tongue tie divided, in an attempt to get some hindmilk into her!) so supplementing would be tricky. A babymoon would be lovely but difficult, although I do have my parents coming for some of Friday so they can help with DS. Then at the back of my mind I don't want to overdo things with my supply and have it go crazy again, but I'm guessing that's not something to worry about just now!

TIA :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Low supply after flu, anyone hold my hand?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:52:43 am »
Hi there...I really have no time for a proper post but wanted to say not to worry about running out when pumping....it is all supply and demand you really cannot run out! Personally I could never pump well so I would have had to increase feeds to get supply up, do compressions etc. Also there is a 6 month growth spurt too which may be at play! I would focus more on the bf, there is plenty of time for solids when she (and you!) are well again! Many healthy vibes for you xx
Heidi

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:22:40 am »
*hugs* Trimbler. I am sure that with her regular nursing, your supply will normalise soon. If she wasn't getting enough, she would start waking for NFs again. You could try power pumping for just 10 minutes right after nursing her to signal to your body that you need more (if possible. I know you have your hands full)

WRT to pumping, it also makes a difference when you pump. Mornings are best -- so if you could pump a half hour or so before nursing her, maybe? And also before going to bed at night.

More than anything, just please try to relax. You are also recovering and that combined with stress can definitely have a negative impact on your supply. Maybe forget the nursing routine for a few days and put her to the breast whenever you have time.

Fingers crossed for you!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
Thanks both of you :) Back from preschool drop off, DD asleep, I've had a little sit down and snack and water so will get the pump out and see what happens... Hoping to fit in a couple of feeds before next nap, one before and one after preschool collection!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 19:39:39 pm »
Ok so I've been feeding and pumping whenever I can, which in theory is:

6.50 bf (switch feeding, around 45mins)
7.45ish offer solids (mostly just tastes it, has taken a couple of mouthfuls on two days only)
9.45ish pump
10.45 bf (only have 30mins available during the week but spend longer at the weekend)
12.30ish offer another bf
1.30/2ish pump
3/3.30ish bf for as long as she'll take (switch feeding)
6.30ish bf usually sleepy single side
7.30ish pump df side
9.30ish pump BT side
10.30ish df single side

But in practice I don't manage all of these sessions, usually 2/3 pumping sessions. I started out getting just under 1oz (when I got let down), a couple of days later managed 2oz but today back to 1.5oz per side. DD just seems frantic during feeds, not quite as hungry as she was when I first realised there was a problem, but it's like the flow just isn't what it used to be and she keeps coming off, frustrated, and spends way less time than before, except for the BT feed when she's sleepy and I let her hang out sucking in the hope that it might stimulate production even if she isn't actually getting anything at the time. She's not relaxed during feeds and neither am I, despite my best efforts! I can hardly believe I struggled with oversupply and was still getting full and leaky just a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure it's my flu which is the main culprit, as I know my supply has fluctuated before due to DD losing her appetite but it's come back again quickly each time. But now I'm feeling better than before but still really fatigued and it's not possible to get the rest that I need. How long should I expect it to take for my supply to return to normal? In a way it's nice that I'm not worrying about green mucous poo any more, her stools have been nice and yellow and the milk that I pump now looks nice and fatty rather than the watery blue stuff I got when I had oversupply, with only a little fatty stuff floating on top! However I now always wonder whether she's hungry or satisfied, I can't take this for granted and I worry that her output isn't quite what it should be, but then again I think she produced more urine than normal previously due to the high water content of her milk. Any advice?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:57:10 am »
Trimbler, she could have just been so used to the fast flow due to your oversupply and may be a bit confused about the changes. I think you will just have to give her time to adjust. While nursing, if you find her getting frustrated or upset, you can try walking around or humming/singing. That works for me. There is also a growth spurt at 6 months and I wonder whether that is also contributing to the fussy behavior.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:00:30 am »
Thanks Fleur yes that may be it, she had a good feed this morning I thought, seemed happy enough after one side (40mins!), had solids not long after (v little as usual) then wanted the other side. Walking around has never worked for us whilst feeding, guess I don't have the technique plus she's getting bigger! But I could try singing as that's helped in the past, thanks. Pretty sure her 6mo growth spurt was a few days before 6mo, they've always followed the pattern of extra long feeds with me getting extra hungry, needing to offer the other side and then getting green poo again afterwards before we return to block feeding. That all happened a few weeks ago so I don't think we're getting a growth spurt now except that she was ill and is now getting her appetite back.

Managed to get 2.5oz from the BT side just before df, which seems like progress, although only got 1.5oz from the other side just after BT, ie the side that wasn't used as she had another long sleepy feed. 1.5oz from each this morning during nap. Just can't help thinking that I used to get 4oz+ from one side, in fact when DS was this age I'd pump 5oz from one side whilst he fed from the other, but now even if she feeds from both she must be only getting 3oz, or is that too pessimistic?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:01 am »
Honestly, no clue. I know they get a lot more than the pump but I don't know how much more.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 17:45:10 pm »
If there is all that milk there to pump then I honestly wouldn't worry about your supply.  You are never truly empty because your body continues to make Milk while you feed her.  There's no way to know how much more she gets but it will be considerably more.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 19:24:41 pm »
Pumping is not at all an accurate reflection of what the baby could take, please don't think of it that way.  You'll drive yourself potty!  I can't stress that enough - pumping bears just about no relation to your baby's in-take. 

Agree with pps about her being perhaps a more efficient feeder now.  Also bear in mind, that even if supply dipped with her intake when you were both ill, it will of course go back up again as she demands more.  The supply and demand system for BF is super-efficient and continues to work throughout your BFing relationship :)

You've both been ill, you're getting back into shape but not there yet.  Don't panic.  Make sure you're drinking enough (dehydration is a big culprit for low supply).  You can also eat oats, which are generally thought of as supply boosting :)

Honestly, if she were hungry she would let you know all about it.  Concentrate on getting yourself 100 per cent better. ((HUGS))
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 19:46:27 pm »
Ok thanks I guess it's just so much less than previously and she does still seem frustrated during feeds especially at the end of the day. She really wasn't happy on the left at BT so I swapped her to the right and she eventually calmed down and spent ages on there, I feel like I'm just not making so much in between feeds so there's not much there at the start of a feed so my letdown isn't so strong, it used to be quite strong up to my getting ill a couple of weeks ago. So having got used to a strong letdown I guess she's frustrated with the slower flow? But when she's tired and has calmed down then she can hang out there for long enough for my body to make more? I don't know, she just isn't so satisfied after feeds at the moment, but maybe that's partly needing to be getting into solids more??

Think we're bug free now so will get her along to baby clinic on Tuesday to be weighed.

Thanks weaver just read yours as posting! Guess I just need to trust the supply-demand thing, it's just come as such a shock after my oversupply issues, but maybe I can see a little improvement over the last few days, it just seems much slower than I'd expected. I'm not sure how long to keep up this pumping, I honestly don't feel quite back to what I need to be making but of course it's hard to tell how much the pumping actually helps with increasing supply?? Funny, I was going to introduce oats to DD soon, hadn't thought about eating them myself :) thanks for the reminder to drink, I to try but probably not enough...

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 19:51:16 pm »
You can try to offer extra feeds to her alongside or even instead of pumping.  I don't know what the experts would say but it seems to me if a baby is more efficient than a pump at extracting milk, she will also be better at stimulating your supply.

Please don't drive yourself crazy with worry, eat well, drink enough, rest as much as you can, she will do the rest.  You'll be right as rain in a few days :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 20:26:07 pm »
Oh yes feeding baby is always better for supply than pumping

Offline trimbler

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 20:05:33 pm »
Ok thanks I've been trying to offer extra feeds but she doesn't stay on long for them any more, which I guess is a positive as she must be more satisfied now, right? Feel like my supply is beginning to slowly recover, I hear what you're saying about not worrying about how much I pump but I did get more this morning from the left side, almost 3oz, so that was encouraging for me. However she seems to have decided she doesn't like the left side at the moment, the last two/three days I think. Any advice? Just ride it out and give her the right side? Offer the left first every time to keep it stimulated? Pump from the left? She still needs some from the left even if taking most of the feed from the right so I don't want to 'run out' due to her not using it much, or should I just not worry about that any more? Thinking now that my supply seems to be getting better I'll stop extra pumping and just do a little for cereals when needed and see what happens?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 09:26:11 am »
I'd just offer the left side first each time and maybe again at the end of the right breast if she hasn't taken much from the left to start with.
Yes I would just pump if you want to.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
Thanks I think she's starting to get better with the left side, but since she's got her sparkle back it's harder to tell if she's coming off that side because she's not happy with it or because she just wants to chat and smile and blow raspberries or because she's just had enough, either way I'm glad to have my happy girl back :)

Think my (over)supply is back now, I'm suddenly feeling much better too and have leaked the last couple of mornings before the feed (guess due to lack of pumping) and she's had green poo again... Ho hum from one extreme to the other! Not quite sure what to do about block feeding when I'm not convinced she's feeding well from the left, but she wasn't upset when I gave up on the feed this morning without offering the right so I guess she can't still have been hungry. Think I'll plan to start on the left again for the next feed but offer the right if she doesn't seem satisfied, I really do feel like my supply has swung back in the other direction now with all that work to get it up again!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 20:22:29 pm »
Sounds like a plan