Author Topic: Feeding routine for 1yo+ - and advice?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:04 am »
Hi Ladies

Can you please share experience how your day look like in terms of feeding a 1yo?

Our current day looks like:
7:15 milk 200ml (I limit) followed with around 70ml milk on cereal and around 80g of fruits
11:30 dinner (meat, carbs, veggies)
2pm milk 200ml
4:45 soup  thickened with potatos,
6:30 milk 240-270ml

As after 1yo they say solids are first source of nutrition and large amount should be discouraged, I thought of small changes:
-   Start with a cereal or eggs or something like this so solid breakfast and follow with milk in a sippy cup
-   Offer a snack around 9/9:30
-   Cut 2:00pm milk and switch it to snack but I don’t know who big it should be… I thought about offering yougurt/pudding or some crackers – should  I full him or just offer couple of pcs
-   Push dinner to 5pm (I do it at 4:45 as he is already hungry and also because firstly is was taking care his BT bottle was big enough)
-   Offer bt milk in a sippy cup and hope that he will drink no more than 200ml
Altogether it gives around 200milk in the morning and another 200ml in the evening (14oz?). And I thought about yougurt during day. Isnt that too much?
I can also try to start giving him yoghurt at 2:00/2:30pm now in a transition phase (11-12mo) and then after 1yo change it to different snack like crackers or so.

However my nursery follows a different routine and maybe I can use it? They are happy to follow my routine if it is according to their times.
8:30/9:00 morning snack  (here it is as I planned)
11:30 soup (I offer dinner so the biggest meal of the day)
2:00pm dinner (I offer milk, and plan to offer snack)
4:00pm snack (I offer nothing:D)
LATER???? probably parents give some kind of supper when they take kids home followed by milk in a sippy at BT
---   I pick him up from nursery around 4pm so I can offer what I want

WDYT?
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Feeding routine for 1yo+ - and advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 19:07:35 pm »
Our day was
- 7.00 morning milk (at 12 months still in a bottle, at 13 months switched to a straw)
- 8.00 breakfast
- 10.30 mid morning snack (this was previously an 11am milk, only reason for it moving to 10.30 was this was the time snack was given out at toddler groups.  DS's snack was often as big as a lunch)
- 12.00 lunch (time moves depending on nap)
- 3.00 mid afternoon snack (moves time depending on nap)
- 4/5 dinner (again depending on nap and BT)
- BT milk (at 12 months I switched this from bottle to 'supper', a snack with a sippy of milk and weaned the BT bottle)

I think the routine can depend on how many naps and what time they are at. Mine was on 1 nap at 12 months but many take 2 naps, this can move meal times around a bit.

-   Start with a cereal or eggs or something like this so solid breakfast and follow with milk in a sippy cup
Totally up to you but I chose to keep the morning milk as the main milk drink of the day.  Keeping fluids in the earlier part of the day can help with potty training and night dryness further down the line, seems like a long way off but the time passes quickly.  Large milk drinks in the evening may lead to nappy leaking over night - although people do resolve this with double nappy or other night time nappies etc. Mine still has a milk drink in the morning at 4yo.

Cut 2:00pm milk and switch it to snack but I don’t know who big it should be… I thought about offering yougurt/pudding or some crackers – should  I full him or just offer couple of pcs
I always offered as much as he wanted and followed his lead. It helped to show me his best times for eating in the day and I quickly learned what sort of portion size suited him. There's no harm switching to a snack now before he is 12 months.

-   Push dinner to 5pm (I do it at 4:45 as he is already hungry and also because firstly is was taking care his BT bottle was big enough)
May not be a need to move dinner unless his appetite changes.  We had a while when dinner was at 4pm immediately from nap WU, we've also had a long phase of dinner at 5.15 because BT wasn't until 8pm.  Often with LOs earlier dinner works as they can get too tired to eat much later on.

-   Offer bt milk in a sippy cup and hope that he will drink no more than 200ml
You will probably find if you switch to a sippy cup the quantity will drop. Mine took only a few sips of milk when I switched to a sippy which is why we had a solid snack with it. I did a gentle (but very quick) wean of the BT bottle at 12 months (and made sure the morning milk was an adequate quantity).

I'd probably try to move towards something similar to the day care routine if he's there 5 days per week.

Also going to shift you over to Eating for Toddlers. I know your LO is under 12 months but you'll get more eyes for the 1yo+ over there.