Author Topic: Night feeds @ 7 weeks, 13lbs. Still 2-3hrs.  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Erineo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night feeds @ 7 weeks, 13lbs. Still 2-3hrs.
« on: February 06, 2015, 15:16:32 pm »
Hello there!

I've been looking for advice on how to extend my baby's night sleeping. He's 7w today, already 13lb (so he eats like a champ, frequently during the day and at night). I think he knows day vs. night (his EASY routine is 2 to 3 hours long in the day, it only takes him 20mins to eat - I have crazy oversupply). At night though recently he has been doing shorter feeds and falling asleep. Last night was 7:45pm, 10pm, 12:30am, 4am, 7am. In those evening times when he should be 'tanking up', he's feeding for 10mins and I can feel I have a lot of milk left.

I'm not looking for him to sleep through the night, I'd just like a few longer stretches, like maybe a 4-hour stretch, and to get rid of the frequent evening feeds. At his weight of 13lb it seems to me his belly should be big enough to handle big feeds and in turn, a longer sleep.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Night feeds @ 7 weeks, 13lbs. Still 2-3hrs.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:34:41 am »
Was the 7:45 pm feed bedtime? And the 7:00 am wake up? If so that leaves three nf's which is pretty normal. Breast milk is highly digestible and their tummies are very small so although you could try a bit of cluster feeding in the time leading up to bed it may not make a huge difference at this age.
Heidi

Offline Erineo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 17:21:45 pm »
Thanks very much> I think I am trying to gauge what is reasonable at this stage! The BW book sure suggests that babies can be on longer stretches by now...so maybe it's just a best-case scenario!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 19:10:20 pm »
The bf advice in the books is quite outdated and as Tracy passed away has never been updated. So although some babies may do biggger stretches a lot do not and for supply it is actually beneficial to have those night feeds!
Heidi