Author Topic: Does my 3mo need longer than 3 hours between feedings??  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Mom2012

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does my 3mo need longer than 3 hours between feedings??
« on: February 06, 2015, 16:14:48 pm »
I posted on the EASY forum but haven't gotten a reply.  Maybe my question really should have been posted here instead since it's more of a BF question.  My DS2 is 3mo today.  He was nursing just fine up until about 2mo.  He started eating for a shorter amount of time.  He would nurse for a few minutes and then fuss.  When I stop making him try to eat, he will stop fussing. It has been a month now, and he still does that the majority of the time.  It has gotten to where sometimes he will only stay on for about 2 minutes and acts done. If I feed him right when he wakes up from a nap he is sometimes really sleepy and will nurse much longer.  Although he isn't actively sucking the whole time due to being drowsy.  It seems like he will do a good feed one time, fuss the next feed, then do a good feed the following time.

I have been trying to follow the 3 hour EASY, but I'm now wondering if he isn't hungry enough to eat at 3 hours.  I have read the post about short nursing and thought maybe he is just getting more efficient at nursing.  He had gained weight at his 2mo check up.  I took him again two weeks later to check, and he had gained weight then also.  He hasn't been weighed in the last two weeks though, so I'm not sure if he is still gaining.   So I'm wondering is he not hungry enough at 3 hours??  Is that why he sometimes fusses, or won't eat good one time but might the next??

If I do stretch out his feedings, how does that work for my EASY routine?  His A time is only about 1.20hr.  So I'm wondering, if I stretched his feedings some, what do I do with the time in between?  Does he nap longer, or do I wake him when I normally would and just wait longer to feed?  I feel like if he naps any longer he won't be tired enough at night.

Here is an example of our day: (He naps in a swing, but I want to change that soon.  I'm sure it will mess up his naps when we take away the swing.  But that will be a whole different problem later!!)
E: 7:30
A:
S: 8:50 (nap around 1.40hr)
E:10:30
A:
S:11:50 (nap around 1.40hr)
E:1:30
A:
S: 2:50 (nap around 1.40hr)
E:4:30
A:
S: catnap around 5:50 for 30-40 minutes (hard to get him to do lately)
A: he wakes around 6:30 and has low key activity
E: 7:15 then go to bed (hard to feed at this time lately)
*wakes between 2-4:30 for NF

I'm open to any suggestions to help straighten out this problem!!  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline Mom2012

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Does my 3mo need longer than 3 hours between feedings??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 16:51:44 pm »
Update: I waited about 3.15hr this time. He ate well for about 7 minutes then just kept pulling off for a few minutes. I burped him, then tried to put him on the other side. He was not having that!! I couldn't even get him in a position to even latch on. When I stopped trying he was fine.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:37:37 am »
7 min could well be a full feed by this age. Do you watch for signs he is hungry or feed based on the time? I would maybe try readingnhis cues a bit and let that guide you. Was he content until his next feed after that one?
Heidi

Offline Mom2012

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 15:58:31 pm »
In the beginning, I did watch for his cues and fed him as he seemed hungry.  When I started trying to follow EASY, I got more in the habit of feeding him at the 3 hour mark.  Yes, he seems content after feedings.  He only fusses when I try and force him to eat more.  This morning he would only eat about 3 minutes and seemed done.  That just seems impossible to me, but the more I read I am seeing this is common.  So maybe this is ok??

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 19:11:55 pm »
My DD1 ate in 5-7 min from birth so there is a lot of variation in what is "normal". I would still go by cues rather than strictly the clock and see if that helps .
Heidi