Author Topic: Read an article...  (Read 1811 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Read an article...
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:07:43 am »
I read an article in a parenting magazine and one doctor said that while with formula fed babies you have to continually increase the amount of formula, you don't have to with breast fed babies. He said that at 3 months (I think) they establish the supply they need so when we pump we don't need to worry about increasing the volume as they get older. So if ds took 4 oz at 3m then that's still all he needs at 8m.

Anyone heard of this? I'm assuming it's bc our milk changes as they grow and becomes fattier??? It was an article on breastfeeding info for new mom's and it was so they wouldn't stress about guessing how many ounces they might need at different stages since we are generally pretty clueless about how much they take.

It was weird bc I am stressing about getting bottles up to 6 oz foe when we stay overnight without the kids Saturday...

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Read an article...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:16:04 am »
Yes that's exactly right. The calorie content and nutrients keep up with the child's growing needs. Do you generally give bottles or bf directly? With mine though, sometimes she will take 3, at other times 7oz. We use a bottle only at DF

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:56:58 am »
what magazine was it in?  my brother's gf is really stressed about not making enough milk so has been supplementing with formula
heather

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:34:48 am »
Supplementing with formula is a sure fire to actually lower milk supply. Does the baby seem happy after the feed? Is the diaper count good?

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:02:48 am »
It was Parenting magazine that just came in this month.

That'd awesome to know bc he was on 4 oz and I can usually get 5 or 6 but it's after I've pumped 2 sometimes 3 times. I figured 4 oz would work fine if he wakes up at night. He only takes 2 bottles when I'm at work one day a week. I've moved up from 4 to 5 to 6 and 6 took him forever to get through my mom said. I've got mostly 5 oz in the freezer. So I should be ok with a variety of oz??

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 04:07:37 am »
Yes, I should think so

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 00:37:07 am »
So his worked out great. Ds still wake up at night and last night my mom kept him and dd so me aad dh could go to this formal thing and even though he woke up and my mom gave him bottles he wasn't taking much...so it just probed my point that he's not waking from hunger..anyways I know that's not related to this but it was just one of the " ah ha" moments lol.

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:59 am »
Glad it went well. Hope you enjoyed yourself