Author Topic: How often does/did your 7mo night feed????  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Ana1987

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How often does/did your 7mo night feed????
« on: February 23, 2015, 18:59:36 pm »
My 7.5mo ebf boy is waking 3/4 times a night between 10pm & 6am for 'feeds' some nights he takes a full feed each time, some nights he's literally 30sec-1min comfort sucking each time, some nights a combo. He feeds a lot during the day, 2.5 hourly 7am-9pm. Goes to bed at 7pm. Not at all intersted in solids yet, thought he gets offered them a few times a day anyway.

Just wondering what other do/think?

To me, this seems a lot of night wakings dc1 was also ebf and stopped night feeds at 3 mo!

Obviously I'd love to stop or at least reduce night feeds down to 1 a night really, but not sure if this is realistic? Think I had a rosy view of bf thanks to dc1, not sure if they were the exception rather than the rule? Or am I jugs being soft allowing dc2 to feed this much?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: How often does/did your 7mo night feed????
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:21:06 am »
1 or even 2 night feeds are very possible at 7 months but I think that the wakings might have more to do with your routine. At his age , it is important to space out feeds to ensure that they take a 'full' feed instead of just snacking to take the edge off. It is fine if he is not interested in solids. They are just for fun and exploration before age 1 anyway. When do you offer them? It's best to offer an hour after milk.  Would you like to post your routine for us to take a look?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:58:51 pm »
We had one/no night feed at 7 months (was well-established on solids though).  He was feeding pretty frequently at night (roughly 3-4hrly) for quite a while after 4 months hit and I think some of it became habit.  We had to do a little bit of very gentle sleep training to get things back on track - happy to share what we did if it would help :). Also agree routine is worth looking at x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 21:59:09 pm »
Is he an independent sleeper? Sounds like a prop issue, at night if not during the day.

We had 2 NFs at that age but nights were 11-12hrs long. Is 10-6 your entire night or is BT earlier and then he has a DF at 10? If 10-6 is the whole night then he is probably very OT.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Ana1987

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:06 am »
Thanks for the replies. I'm new to BW so unsure about lots of the terminology.

Routine - loosely (I've found it harder to establish a solid routine with dc1 being about as well)

7.30/8am wakes for the day
8.30- breastfeed
9.30- offer solids
10.30/11 (3 hours after waking) breastfeed & nap, usually feeds to sleep. Will only stay asleep if held or lying on our bed. Wakes the second he goes in his cot.
12/12.30 wakes, offer solids for lunch
15.00/15.30- breastfeed & nap
15.45/16.00- wakes
17.15- offer solids
18.15- bath
18.45- breastfeed in his room, mobile on etc- always the same NT routine

This is where it goes wrong. He feeds to sleep usually from both sides. He goes down on his cot. Wakes an hour later, not hungry have to walk with him to get him to sleep. Won't go back down in his cot. Sits on my knee asleep. Wakes around 9 for a brief feed. Goes to sleep. Goes back in his cot. Wake at 11 for a feed. Goes back in his cot. Rarely stays there more than an hour. Sometimes wants feeding up to 4 times through the night, full feeds, sometimes doesn't feed at all until 6am?! Even if he doesn't want feeding he wakes at least hourly. Has to be walked to sleep, usually around 3/4am I give up, bring him into our bed where he sleeps soundly for the rest of the night..... Should I persevere? Try to keep getting him in his cot? Try to night wean? Leave him in our bed so we all get some sleep? I just don't know?!? Can not leave him to cry- I just can't do it!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »
(((Hugs))) you must be shattered with all those wakings.

You'll probably find this helpful: Site Acronyms/Abbreviations - What they are, and what they mean.

The routine looks pretty good to be honest, this looks almost certainly like a prop problem ie he has no idea how to get to sleep on his own so looks for your help every time he stirs.  We would never suggest leaving him to cry, that's very much against the BW ethos.  However it does sound like some sleep training will be needed to get you all a better nights sleep.  Realistically that does involve some crying - his cry is his only voice and way of saying 'hey mum, this isn't how we do it!  You nurse me now!'  But you don't leave him alone to feel bewildered and abandoned with those feelings, you are right there with him to comfort and reassure as he works out how to do it for himself.

Do you feel ready/able to tackle getting him to sleep in the cot?  Very happy to help with a plan if so :)

Offline Ana1987

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 14:19:57 pm »
Thanks for your reply. It's no so much the tiredness that's getting to me, it's the sheer relentlessness of the whole thing is just mentally draining if you see what I mean? It's not just through the night it's never having a minute through the day or particularly the evening 7-10 really.

Help with a plan would be brilliant!!! Do I tackle naps in the cot first or bedtime? Or both? He's also a total bottle refuser!  And how do I get him to sleep in his cot without such frequent wakings?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 20:03:11 pm »
Hugs I know how you feel, toddler plus non-sleeping baby =  :o :o

Personally I would pick a day when you feel ready and go for it, naps and nights all at the same time using PUPD.  Yes it will be quite a painful couple of days but really you should see some rapid progress at this age, and if you've been sleep training for naps he will likely be shattered so in some ways bedtime should be easier as he will be tired out and not able to fight it for so long.  Make sure you read all the FAQs on the PUPD board before you get going.  For naps you try for 45 mins and then take a break, some A time before trying again with next nap.  At bedtime and NWs you do it as long as it takes. 

A couple of things you could do in preparation though - Gentle Removal Plan I know one Mum here used this in combination with PUPD and successfully got her LO sleeping in the cot.  You could also work on spacing night feeds to no more frequently than every 4h and use whatever other means to settle in between.  If it's a 'feed' waking once you start PUPD then feed immediately, it's ok if that happens to be feeding to sleep.  If however it's a 'not feed' waking you should see it through until he sleeps, even if that takes you past feed time.  Does that make sense? 

Could you just clarify how many times/when you are feeding him in the daytime?  I can only see four feeds on the routine you posted which is totally normal, but elsewhere you mentioned feeding 2.5hrly?  I'm guessing some of the issue with him not being interested in solids could be due to having so much milk so not actually hungry.