Author Topic: Bottles for daycare?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline v0micj01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Victoria-mom to Calvin(12/30/14)
« on: March 05, 2015, 15:00:55 pm »
My lo is 9 weeks, on a roughly 3 hr easy. (Eats at 6,9,12,3,5,7,10 with one nf.) I just went back to work this past Monday. I'm very lucky that my mom is keeping him, and I'm a teacher, so he only gets two bottles, and I can be there for his 3:00 and bf.

So day 1, I left 4 ounces in each bottle, thinking he wouldn't finish it. He gobbled them down and was angry it ended.

So day 2, I left 4.5, same thing.

Day 3 I left 5, he finished them off and wasn't angry, but my mom said he would have eaten more if there was more.

This seems entirely too much to me. From what I understand, babies take 19-32 oz a day. So if he's at the upper end needing 32, he's taking 1/3 of that from a bottle in two feedings. Whenever we give a bottle, it's a struggle to get 3 oz, but we mainly try at df.

So really I'm looking for reassurance that 5oz is normal, do maybe it isn't, and he's over eating bc its a bottle?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Bottles for daycare?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:08:29 am »
My older two had a bottle at bedtime from around the 3-6 week mark and I think they did jump up to 6 oz quite quickly, though my memory is hazy. Personally I would try a 6 oz bottle just out of curiousity, though if he was content after the 5 oz that might be what he needs.
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Bottles for daycare?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:21 am »
Thomas is bottle fed as you know... He's older but prem/small. He drinks 4-5oz on a good feed, and really this is pretty small at this stage.

He also def knows when to stop! He's perfectly capable of only having 2oz, or nothing, or indeed covering g the teat hole with his tongue to comfort suck.

Aren't you pumping a ton?? He probably takes the same from you.

Sounds like he needs 5-6oz which would be normal really. 3-4oz is a feed for a 4-6 week old.