Author Topic: Bobbing on and off  (Read 4625 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Bobbing on and off
« on: March 06, 2015, 14:38:58 pm »
All day today, DD2 has been bobbing on and off whenever she feeds. Could she just be distracted ;she is only 10weeks - could something else be causing her to do it?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Bobbing on and off
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 14:58:41 pm »
Maybe the letdown is different than before?

Any reflux or similar issues?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 15:36:37 pm »
My DS1 did this due to reflux  :-\. Ended up reverse cycling to feed when sleepy.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 15:40:39 pm »
She is on meds for reflux  but not sure if it is really under control yet. She has been doing this all day - hardly eating but must be hungry?  Also short napping All day. 

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 15:41:32 pm »
Does that mean you feed right before a sleep?

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 15:56:16 pm »
Jacob mainly fed at night  :(. TBH I never got a handle on his reflux until he was much older.

Megan I did feed before sleep and it really suited her - I know it's not BWer though.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 16:02:59 pm »
That is what she did last night - woke twice more than ususal and had BIG feeds. Now, today not eating during the day.  I'm guessing will be up again tonight.  :-\    She is on a low dose of her meds - should I ask paed to increase if her feeding is not going well?

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 16:18:11 pm »
You are in day 3 PPI?? Or back to Zantac?

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 16:24:04 pm »
Yes it is only Day 4 of PPI.. Still early days. She is doing half of the 10mg pill in the AM.  Mucousy poos consistently now too despite cutting out dairy/egg from diet. 

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 18:49:41 pm »
It's always so hard to know how to interpret mucous in stools as well isn't it?

When did you start gluten?

I think it's early days for the PPI - but likewise Max dose is 3mg/kg.

Bobbing was def reflux for DS though. He just couldn't feed  :-\.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 19:36:37 pm »
It is and I drove myself crazy with the mucous poos with DD1. I promised myself not to analyse everything in my diet this time around. It has only been maybe 5 /6 daysfor gluten. He wants nuts out now too.

Looking back on the day she seemed really in discomfort today.  Naps were all 5/10/20/25mins. Never longer- are really short naps like that usually discomfort or just a really OT bub?  She seems to suffer the most from 4am-4pm and then settles down. She passed out feeding tonight just so exhausted.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 20:48:47 pm »
My OT kids sleep for 30/35 minutes. These super short naps (I get them as well  ::)) are so obviously related to the reflux as he is gulping, and swallowing, and squirming and trying to release gas (top or bottom).

DS sleeps in a co sleeper and I often sit in the bed next to him reading or on the iPad. That's how I know what wakes him  ;).

5 days isn't enough to clear the gluten.

Would a formal ED actually be easier at this point?? Start from very little and add in instead? Did you go that route last time??

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 23:07:03 pm »
When I sit next to her Moses basket and watch she does these crazy jolts that wake her or she just snaps up with her eyes wide open.  I don't always see squirming or gulping and that makes me second guess whether it is just OT. 

Last time I started eliminating the major allergens and then more and more things to try and get to baseline. So yes without planning it that way I ended up with a very basic diet And then started adding back and trialling. It took a long time though and to be honest I don't think i ever really figured it out. She started improving about 7/8 months which was probably her just getting older.  I was fairly certain though in the end both DS and Dd have sensitivity to egg and dairy. this time I eliminated them from the start.  Even with that now though the mucous is getting worse  :-\

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 07:52:49 am »
DS1 was like that as well and I always had no idea! All I know is that he ended up with very poor weight gain and feeding aversion, so clearly did have reflux, and that he stopped short napping at about 5.5 months.

My DD had lots of mucous, and yes, it cleared at about 7/8 months. I thought it was dairy, but when I had to get her off the breast urgently at 9 mths she ended up settling on a normal cows milk formula. Wheat/gluten made her windy for a while and she didn't eat much of it until older, but really I have no idea. I was milk/soy/gluten free. It really is a needle in a haystack isn't it? Some doctors don't really follow it up aggressively anymore - I guess because it becomes too hard and is solved by maturity for the vast majority. Of course, they don't have to live with the baby for months on end  ;).

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 13:19:50 pm »
I do think so much of it is them getting older and stronger and other than that it is a total needle in haystack.  So many days we had reactions and I couldn't ever pinpoint exactly what it was.  This time around though our paed seems so much more intent on the diet.  He told me he wanted the ED done before he would give us any meds.  I talked him out of that and that we would do it at the same time but I was definitelly surprised how focused he was on the diet piece ???