Author Topic: Nurse to sleep problem  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Mom2012

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 10, 2015, 00:52:59 am »
My LO just turned 4 mo, and I have always nursed him right before bed and haven't had a problem until the last few nights.  One week ago I transitioned him from napping in his swing to napping in his crib.  I am using the shh/pat method and have been working on figuring out the right awake time for him.  I follow the EAS routine with the exception of the last nursing right before bed, so during the day he does not nurse before naps.  He goes to sleep in his crib with shh/pat within 5-10 min.  The last three nights, after I nurse him and put him in the pack n play in my room, he has stayed awake for about an hour.  When I nurse him, he usually dozes off some throughout the 30 min.  It is almost like he catches a second wind after being put in the bed and can't sleep.  And he is still smacking like he wants more, but he is not crying.  I have tried a pacifier, but he has not really every taken to one.  After trying for an hour, I give in and nurse again and he falls asleep immediately.  Then I put him in the bed and he stays asleep until his next feeding.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I can do to help with this?  If I don't nurse last, what would I do?  I feel like he would still doze off even if I rearranged our routine some.  During the day he really struggles nursing because he is so distracted.  The last feeding before bed is always one that he stays on longest because I have the lights out and sound machine on.  I worry if I change that I won't be able to get him to eat well.  Thank you for any suggestions!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Nurse to sleep problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 22:22:39 pm »
What bout putting him over your shoulder and doing a vigorous burping to rouse him a bit before offering the second side rather than putting him down in the cot?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011