Author Topic: Keeping EASY feeds in summer  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Vking

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 20, 2015, 17:56:30 pm »
It's really hot here and I've been topping 3-month old up before naps bc I'm afraid of dehydration. So there are additional feeds at about 2 hours, before a nap. I don't want to confuse her but need her hydrated after 90 minutes outside in 90-degree weather. But from reading BWSAYP PU/PD chapter, I think we should be moving towards a 4-hour easy. Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 17:58:11 pm by Vking »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Keeping EASY feeds in summer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 20:38:37 pm »
I would definitely recommend topping up the BFs during hot weather. We all need to drink more in hot weather and babies are no exception. If you are worried then try to focus on keeping the top ups away from sleep so you don't create a feeding to sleep prop.

You shouldn't give EBF babies under 6mo any water so breast milk is the best thing to offer.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 00:44:51 am »
My pediatrician adviced me to give water to my LO in the summer.I know the rule is not to, but on some days I OS my breasts and had trouble at night. I had to extract milk between feeds so decided to go with water. Every time he drunk about 30 ml o water. This was a better choice for us.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:22:09 am »
Your supply will settle down in line with any extra feeds if you give it a few days. It will be the same every time LO has a growth spurt and takes more milk in the day.

Its dangerous to give water so please be careful as it causes an imbalance of electrolytes and can be fatal. Breast milk really is all they need. Maybe your dr is unaware of the dangers or the reasoning behind it.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 18:18:03 pm »
Well, he probably knows what he is talking about. I don't think it's dangerous as not long ago there was a common opinion that you are suppose to give BF babies water or ever herbs like camomile.
I agree with you that more frequent BF is better though based on research and the best knowledge we have now.
My problem was that my body didn't know if it's a day or night, so I had plenty of breast milk All the time and my DS was sleeping like never. It was just for a week though. I don't have experience with longer periods of time.
Next time, in the heat I will probably breastfeed more and try to suplement it with not more than 50ml of water a day.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 19:29:19 pm »
Unfortunately many mums aren't aware that it is dangerous but it is.
It reduces supply and the nutrients a baby gets thus reducing growth but in the worse cases can lead to the life threatening condition water intoxication. There is more info here if you wish to research it. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/baby-water/

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 03:02:24 am »
It is extremely hot and dry where I live and DD was a summer baby but no additional water was necessary. Breastmilk changes to meet any and all requirements, even climactic changes.

Copy/pasting a few points from babycentre
Giving water to your exclusively breastfed baby may not be good for her. If you replace nourishing milk with water, she'll miss out on nutrients she needs and it may upset her feeding habits. A newborn’s stomach is very small and giving her water might make her feel full so she will ask for less milk. But she needs the calories that breastmilk provides to grow and develop.

Breastmilk is itself mostly water. When it's hot, babies tend to feed more often, for short periods of time. This way they get extra foremilk, which is thinner and more refreshing than the fat-rich hindmilk, which comes at the end of a feed. Letting your baby have as many extra feeds as she wishes when it is hot means that she will get plenty of water.

Hope that helps

Offline Bella89

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 08:10:01 am »
 Thank you for the advice. It wasn't my post but I benefited a lot:) So this is our 3rd day in this heat! I have not give my DS water yet, but he ofcourse needs extra breast time now. Night are rough, also because he can't sleep well, wakes up needs to drink. I don't want to refuse him any feeding time at night because of dehydration, but it's getting tiring. I hope I'm doing the right thing and this will not result in learned hunger after the weather settles.

I never replaced a feeding with water, and the amounts of water were really little (for 5 month old even the article mentioned says its ok). We're doing fine, but it does mess with our EASY a little. We used to have 15min E time, but now we have to 5 min ( after waking and before sleep). Do you think it is ok for now? I'm a little worried that my LO is not getting the right nutrition but only water from the first milk.

Any advice would be appreciated:)

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:34:09 am »
Provided LO is gaining weight, making enough wet nappies and is happy in himself, it will be fine.

Feeding a hungry/thirsty baby is never the wrong thing to do. Its hard to sleep in the heat, that's normal even for adults. Things should settle on their own once the heat reduces a bit. Have you tried using a fan (a container of water in front of it to stop it being so drying) in LO's room, or airconditioning for sleep? Sorry, I don't know where you are but airconditioning was essential for us for a while through our first summer.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 10:08:23 am »
Even foremilk has nutrients in it despite being more watery than fattier. If you breastfeed each time your LO wants a drink then he should get the perfect nutrition. Your breastmilk actually changes to be more watery in hot weather to quench thirst. Trust your body to provide what your baby needs.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 21:41:46 pm »
Thanks! I'm from Poland. I do use ac during the day, but nights are cooler so its fine. My thinking was my LO is trying to make up for all the sweat and high temp during the day. I dont expose him to sun, but try to go out for walks under umbrella sometimes.