Author Topic: 4 month old poor weight gain  (Read 5864 times)

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 4 month old poor weight gain
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 03:18:03 am »
Had a weird experience tonight.  DD refused to nurse at bedtime, despite being hungry.  I have no idea what was going on, she normally never refuses to nurse.  I tried nursing at bedtime - she would latch, suck a couple of times, then get very sad and just cry.  I'd take her off, try the other side, same thing.   ???  As soon as she was off she'd be sucking her hands or trying to latch onto my arm.  So I gave her a bottle of pumped milk, just 2 oz to see if she was hungry.  She got SO excited when she saw it and gulped it down.  She was mad when it was gone.  Waited a little bit, tried nursing again, same thing as before.  So I gave her another 2.5oz and she gulped all of that down too!  She probably would have taken more but I didn't have any more fresh in the fridge (she doesn't normally eat very many bottles).  I'm so confused by her behavior!  Any idea what it could mean?  I hope it doesn't continue tomorrow.  :(

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 15:44:53 pm »
Sore mouth? Teeth?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 16:06:32 pm »
I keep feeling her gums but I don't feel any bumps or teeth poking through.  She nursed fine overnight and this morning, so I really have no idea what was going on.  Maybe my milk tasted funny from something I ate?  Or it wasn't coming out fast enough for her? That's all I can think of. I hope it doesn't turn into a trend, I can't usually pump that much milk every day.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 20:15:17 pm »
My DD does that when OT or if she had a cold making in uncomfortable to create the suction used for nursing.

Or is it very hot where you are? My DD is finding it difficult to nurse when we are so hot and sweating on each other.

FX it is better tomorrow.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 00:44:25 am »
She could very well be OT since naps have been so rough. It is hot, but we mostly nurse indoors in AC, so probably not that. I'm also thinking maybe it was due to gas? She started doing it again this afternoon, and really wiggling her legs, then she'd pass some gas and seem a bit better. So I gave her some gas drops and she was passing lots and lots of gas, and now she is nursing like normal.  Now if only I knew what was making her so gassy.   :-\

Also recently she likes to touch everything and she likes to hold my thumb or shirt while she nurses. Sometimes she kind of kneads the boppy pillow. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting her a breathable lovey blanket so she can hold onto that after I transfer her. Do they make such a thing, and do you think it might help?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 08:14:35 am »
Just a little square of muslin could do the trick.

Are you still lying back for feeds?

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 14:27:38 pm »
We mostly do cross-cradle for feeds.  We have a hard time getting comfortable in any other position - ie, she squirms all over the place.  I think she's used to resting her head on the boppy and expects that now.