Author Topic: Talk to me about burping and wind  (Read 4411 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Talk to me about burping and wind
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 14:34:32 pm »
Thanks! I think we are getting most of it up now, and the midwife showed me a few tricks.

He just wouldn't settle last night though, and after we'd tried everything else under the sun I gave him a dummy and he went peacefully off to sleep. I'm a bit leery of one, especially so early (he's now two and a half weeks) but maybe it's what he needs?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 15:04:16 pm »
I'm a bit leery of one, especially so early (he's now two and a half weeks) but maybe it's what he needs?
I am so pro paci lol.  Granted, I did FF my DS so I didn't really have to worry about nipple confusion or anything like that.  My doctor was also very pro paci, breast feeding or not, right from day 1.  Some babies just need to suck to settle, and if it isn't a paci it's going to be something else.  DS was so colicky and so windy that it was our only saving grace, otherwise he would just scream for hours on end.  I think I would have died if we didn't use one.  Personal preference though :)  Everyone has their reasons for using/not using one :)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 15:07:45 pm »
It's just all very new to me, yk? DS flat out rejected anything but the breast from very early on, never had a comfort item either. But this guy is different. And it's not like he's not getting enough to eat after 11 feeds in 24hrs!

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 16:26:56 pm »
Dummies are amazing I think. It's so good to be able to give them such comfort so easily - and anyone can do it. So I know that when I leave him he has something that will relax him and help him sleep that isn't me!! It's really good for my DH as well - his parents were really against it but with the twins it was only at about 4 months or so when they would take it that he really felt like he could get properly involved in the nights especially. And I don't think I believe in nipple confusion - little twin took a bottle of formula for about the first 4 weeks and would switch between breast and bottle with no problems at all. And my little guy has a dummy and BF just fine. Someone on here gave me some lovely advice along the lines of "if it works for your family then that's all that matters" and I think you do have to look at it as a family thing - for me, a dummy helps me get more sleep and frees me up a bit to spend time with the twins which is just as important.

Sorry, that's a bit of a rant!! Glad things are going well. How is your big boy taking to his new role?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 17:18:12 pm »
He's a lovely big brother :)

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 20:07:27 pm »
LO1 had a soother from about 3 days old - he was just such a sucky baby that if he'd been on the breast all the time he wanted to suck, he'd have been chucking up all over the place, there's only so much room in a baby tummy. He was EBF for 17 mos, had some bottles of EBM in the early months before I gave up pumping. My point is he took both soother and bottle and breast with no problem.  I was always (even at 3 days old!) super careful just to give the dummy for sleep time, it became a strong sleep association for him, and helped him to relax.  I really think soothers have their place.  I wouldn't give them out automatically but for the right baby they can really help.

LO2 flat out refused anything plastic in her mouth. That's another story!!!!!!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 20:25:48 pm »
Yes, I am only offering at sleep time - he's used it three times today and gone to sleep happily each time. I do think it is what he needs, as last night nothing else worked. His digestion is moving well, he's not in any pain, he just needs something to help him relax and let go into sleep.

His sleep cues are not really obvious so I'm clock-watching a bit, but it seems to be working so far. Fx this will help us with the nights!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 21:14:07 pm »
My daft baby took a dummy in the early days, and round about 3 months started refusing it  ::). He now sleeps sucking in the end of his muslin cloth. I guess all you can do is follow their needs  :).

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 08:48:02 am »
Yep :)

It's great, this whispering business, isn't it? You do really have to slow down and listen to what they are telling you.

Last night he had a stretch in with us, but also two periods in his nest where he went in awake and settled with the dummy and some gentle rocking of the nest. So I guess as it's difficult to put him down asleep, we are working on independent sleep already. I tucked him in and held the dummy for him while he wanted it. One time he drifted off with me there, the second I left him to it after ten minutes or so to see what he did, and he went right to sleep. Going to try it for a couple of naps, I think.,

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 08:55:40 am »
Both my ebf babies had pacifiers from day one and never had any problems with nipple confusion! It's comforting, helps them fall asleep on their own, and supposedly reduces sids risk if they fall asleep with it in their mouths.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 08:02:43 am »
I'm back!

We are now having less difficulty in getting wind up :), possibly because I've started using gripe water as recommended by the midwife. I'm not using it for all feeds though, so could it be helping even when not used? Somehow conditioning his body to get used to bringing wind up?

We are getting more possetting as a result though. I'm guessing that's normal? We had very very little before so I'm not worried about it, more wondering.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 16:13:41 pm »
I'd say that sounds about right.

Is it still going ok?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 16:20:31 pm »
Variable, last night was pretty awful tbh. Some days he's easy to wind, others impossible - which makes for difficult evenings).

He still hasn't slept more than a couple of hours in a row in his own bed. As soon as he is put down his eyes open, no matter what stage of sleep he's in. I've managed to get him to go off by himself starting in the crib a couple of times but he invariably wakes half an hour later.

He's definitely uncomfortable but I'm worried that we are setting ourselves up with a prop of some sort. He's so different from DS1 - much much lighter sleeper - so I feel a bit like we are starting from scratch again. That said it is a pleasure to have a baby who wants to snuggle up, and who will nod off peacefully in your arms.