Author Topic: Teaching my 2mo to nurse  (Read 6733 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Teaching my 2mo to nurse
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 21:50:32 pm »
You have great advice already so I'll just join in the hand holding. And kudos to your for persevering in such difficult circumstances.

What is the LC advising?

Is a supplemental nursing system an option?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:36 am »
You ladies are the best! Thank you so much for the support and ideas.  It's taken a lot for me to keep pumping the last 10 weeks.  It's worth it and it's what's best for J, but it's a lot of work! Thanks for cheering me on!

ENMS - I'm happy to hear your LO is nursing again! I remember your thread a bit ago about pumping.  I've been reluctant to offer the breast when J's drowsy bc I don't want to work her up.  But that makes sense that it's a good time to offer it.  I'll work up the courage tomorrow night when she's drifting on the bottle and see how it goes.  And thank you for that video.  A couple weeks ago, when we were still on preemie nipples and concerned about her vocal cords (and aspirating), that is similar to how we were feeding her.  But since we've been since things have improved and we've been less concerned, she's really just been guzzling away.  She's a fussy feeder in general, though.  She guzzles too fast, then cries and pulls off and needs a good hard burping, then starts guzzling again. She also has reflux. I will definitely try tomorrow what's suggested in the video and try to pace her a bit.

Have you just recently changed soap, skin care products, scent or eaten something she doesn't like? 
Not that I can think of, but I'll try to pay attention to that.  The thing is, there haven't been any periods where she's consistently nursed.  It's like the stars align and for whatever reason she'll entertain the breast at one feeding, then the next feeding she just screams at it.  Every few days, she seems to forget how much she hates it and will try when offered.  Then the next go around, she remembers she doesn't want it after all!

Ali - The LC has suggested skin to skin after feedings or when possible and using the nipple shield.  Offering breast about half way thru a bottle feed or at other points but not to the point that she's getting overly upset.  She also had us switch to the natural bottles and use the cheek compression to improve her latch.  She's been pleased that she's switched well to the new bottles and has nursed briefly a couple times.  She's mostly just reminding me that J has been through a lot and that she's made a lot of changes in the way she feeds already, so to have patience.  Which I do completely agree! She does feel optimistic that she will get there.  We haven't discussed a supplemental nursing system.  I know what it is, but don't know too much about it.  I'm due to call the LC to check in in the next day or so, so we'll see if I should just keep plodding along or if we should try something else.

So no successful nursing today.  Lots of crying at the breast.  But I got in the bath with her this evening which she loved and she did root at and mouth my breast without latching but without crying so that's a positive to end on.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
Have you looked into a supplemental nursing system? Its a lot of a PITA apparently but might help with J's frustration.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 10:01:47 am »
So no successful nursing today.  Lots of crying at the breast.  But I got in the bath with her this evening which she loved and she did root at and mouth my breast without latching but without crying so that's a positive to end on.
It sounds like she knows when she wants what she wants.  I would just keep offering but follow her lead and if she prefers the bottle that feed, so be it.  That was perhaps her way to communicate with you what she feels like.  more hugs xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:41 am »
Great progress in the bath!! Maybe just try that every day, for now? Slow, baby steps - you've come such a long way already xxx
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 02:06:39 am »
Well, have been feeling very discouraged and decided to take the weekend off.  I did briefly offer her my breast with the nipple shield yesterday, but she just cried.  Then this morning, she was sitting on my lap while I pumped.  As I was nearing the end of my pumping, she was fussing a bit so I ended.  I offered her my naked milky breast and she latched right on!  Even stopped to be burped and latched back.  After her nap, I knew she'd be very hungry since I'm not sure how much she really got nursing so decided to offer again instead of the bottle, but she just cried and cried.  I was fairly determined since she had just done it a few hours before!  My milk let down as she was crying and she did suck briefly but it seemed the flow was a bit much?  I tried everything to get her back on - with the shield, without, different positions including lying down, I tried pumping for a bit then putting her back on.  Finally, gave her the bottle as she was too upset and hungry and took the rest of the day off.  Ah well.  I'm playing phone tag with the LC at the moment so curious what she has to say.

Offline becj86

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 09:54:13 am »
Well, lovely that you know she can latch. Have you tried hand expressing and leaving the milk on you and then having her on your chest, simulate what you did when she latched? Maybe she's picking up on the tension? If she'll latch more easily when you're relaxed, it might help to just have no pressure on it. She probably doesn't equate breast = food, yk?

Hope LC is helpful xx

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 11:03:07 am »
no advice but just ((hugs)) and cheering you on for persevering.  You are doing an amazing job.  Lovely that she latched on again :)  DYT she might prefer it without the shield?

It must be very frustrating but it sounds like you're being so patient with her. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 01:42:23 am »
Talked to the LC and she basically just said keep doing as we're doing and don't force it. Stay relaxed and she'll get there when she's ready.  Seems like such an uphill battle, it's hard to stay motivated some days.

becj86 - yes, I do think she picks up on my tension.  I try to be nonchalant but sometimes I feel like 'come on! I know you can do this!'

cath - can't tell if she prefers the shield or not.  I'll continue to offer both, I suppose.

There have been times where she's obviously not coping with the flow so it makes me think her vocal cords are still not 100%.  In that case, she really won't be ready until she's fully healed, yk?  I have an appt. with speech therapy next week, so maybe they'll have some insight there.

Thanks for the support! It helps!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 05:16:48 am »
If BabyTwo is anything to go by, the flow can be a bit overwhelming for them at this age.

It's so hard to stay relaxed, isn't it? Just think - when you come out the other side you'll have a baby who takes breast and bottle. Awesome!!

Keep going, you can do this!

Offline becj86

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 07:33:46 am »
Mine was still struggling with the flow at 15 months wi the my overactive letdown, so lying back and keeping it calm can help. L actually latched really well when i was lying in the bath with him on my chest.

Offline cath~

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:44 am »
thinking of you and just wondering how things are going? x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 22:50:54 pm »
Thank you so much for checking in!  I'm actually feeling really discouraged.  :-\  She is just not interested in my breasts and for the past week or more I pretty much haven't offered.  I've started working again (part time, from home so not that big a deal), and DD1 is off for Winter Break.  Things are busy and it's hard enough to just pump and get everyone fed or napped.  I'm really not keeping up with the skin to skin or trying to get her to latch.  I wish it were easier...

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 13:42:11 pm »
I would be exactly the same. You're doing a great job just pumping, remember that xxx

Offline cath~

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 13:43:35 pm »
(((Hugs)))

Yes, you are doing an incredible job pumping, and if it isn't meant to be it isn't meant to be.  You can only do so much xxx
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old