Author Topic: What was different about feeding your second/subsequent babies?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
What was different about feeding your second/subsequent babies?
« on: December 05, 2015, 16:07:04 pm »
Just interested!

It's been a very different experience for me so far this time. Yes we still struggled at first but I've had way less engorged boobs and have definitely felt less hormonal.

I feel a lot less full this time but I'm guessing that's not the same as making less milk?

I went up several cup sizes last time through pregnancy and feeding. Very glad to say that's not the case this time!

What was your experience?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: What was different about feeding your second/subsequent babies?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 18:59:03 pm »
It was as if my body knew better what it was doing (lol or perhaps I did!). I had horrid engorgement with DD1 in hospital (we were in for 5 days) that never happened with DD2 or DD3. But then I did not have various nurses telling me when and how to feed the next two - I was virtually left alone next two times except for when they did their rounds so I was able to feed as baby wanted and I was naughty and did not fill out the feeding chart!
Heidi

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 20:49:54 pm »
Just following along :) I had issues BFing early on with my DS and gave up fairly early, I am hoping this time I will be a lot more relaxed and it will come more naturally.  Many friends seems to suggest to me that it was easier the second time.  We will see! (If she ever decides to show her face).

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 22:18:39 pm »
Degree of difficulty/pain etc with DS1 9.5/10... close to giving up for more than 3months
With DS2 about a 2/10... it would have been 10 times more effort to have ever given him a bottle because he was done in 10mins & I didn't ever have issues.... when I had a chat with the Midwife before Ds2 was born because of PPD  feeding was high on the list (& lack of sleep in the first week as I went 2 nights without sleep when in Labour with DS1) & she said "I won't say it's always easier with the 2nd, but I will say there is a high probability it will be easier because your body is better primed for it & you know a few more tricks too"
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 22:29:42 pm »
Much easier this time.

DS took a long time to work out what to do (or I did). DD latched on & fed within the first hour of birth & has fed we'll ever since. 

I've found it more painful this time though, maybe because DD feeds more vigorously. I'm bigger as well this time, again I think DD just takes more than DS did.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:29 am »
With ds suddenly one morning my milk came in and was very engorged. It didn't happen with dd (2nd). I even healed much quicker (episiotomy both times) and it was way, way less painful. It was like my body just knew what to do the second time.