Author Topic: Co sleeping  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Gairdinalainn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:23:57 am »
After ten weeks I am ready for some sleep and have co slept for the whole night for the last two nights. Prior to this I was still u and down to the Moses basket all night and was getting so little sleep between feeds I was turning into a monster. I always ended up pulling him into bed with me by 5am or so just to get a little bit of rest so figured I would go whole hog and just do the whole night. The change has been brilliant and now I just snooze while he feeds then we both fall back asleep better. However I can't help but feel a little worried about how I will ever get him in his own bed or wean any night feeds if we continue like this. I'm not talking anytime soon as I'm fully aware this will be way down the line before he is ready to drop feeds or sleep on his own. I just want reassurance I guess that I'm not setting ourselves up for a disaster and will end up with him in my bed for a long time and feeding constantly all night as its there on tap so to speak! Any advice or thoughts? Maybe we should bring his cot in and I could slide him over to his own space does anyone do that and is is successful? Also wondering what you do for the first part of the night like early evening when ur still downstairs with hubby. Do u put them in the basket then or up in ur bed? We are in small flat so bedroom very close to lounge. Tia

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Co sleeping
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »
We have bought a bedside crib and DS2 starts off in there. He comes in with us if he's not settling, but I can already see an improvement and so I think he'll gradually move to more time in the crib.

The cot option sounds good!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 13:16:01 pm »
I had no room for a crib with DD3 so I had her bassinet in the middle of our bed, but the crib right next to the bed would have been a great option.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 16:18:20 pm »
I'd start him off in his bed if he will do a few hours in there while you are downstairs and then just bring him into your bed when he wakes after you go to bed.

Do be careful when bedsharing that he is well clear of your duvet and pillow and cannot become covered. Also ensure you are lying in a position where you will not smoother him as you relax and fall into a deep sleep. And also that he cannot roll off the bed or down the gap if the bed is against a wall.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 20:26:10 pm »
hey there, I co slept fully for the first 6 months. I enjoyed it a lot but unfortunately LO thought this was an "all you can eat buffet all night" so I sleep trained her at 6 months which went really well. I guess what Im trying to say is do co-sleep if you feel like it. things can be fixed at later stage...
Franziska

Offline calomamma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 22:17:20 pm »
I've coslept with both bubs & extended breastfed for 2.5 years with my first.

I'll talk about my 3yo as I can paint you a better picture ☺

My best option for getting sleep was to sidecar her cot. I took off one side and put it right up against our bed. Although it was easier to leave her in our bed, I personally didn't do this until she was rolling over. I bf her lying down & when she was asleep I'd slide her over into her bed away from me & she was fine with that. She only woke twice a night up until she was 2yo.

When she was 2 I was able to just offer her a sip of water from her sippy instead of BF.

And when I eventually stopped BF at 2.5 she was only nursed once a day which was at night before bed. She was old enough that she understood when I told her that my 'mumums' were hurting and we can just snuggle to sleep. There were a few tears but she was fine.

Even after completely stopping nursing she would wake twice a night and need to be reassured. Even once she was in her own room as we prepared for her brothers arrival.

But she is 3 now and sleeps right through. Through anything!

She never had to CIO, and she's a very well adjusted, confident little girl ☺

I can't answer if the cosleeping made her more needy at night or if it was just her. My friends bubs were bottlefed and slept through in the own rooms by 8months. But their personality types are very different to my girls.

Offline Odin's_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 18:37:05 pm »
hey there, I co slept fully for the first 6 months. I enjoyed it a lot but unfortunately LO thought this was an "all you can eat buffet all night" so I sleep trained her at 6 months which went really well. I guess what Im trying to say is do co-sleep if you feel like it. things can be fixed at later stage...

How did you make the transition?