Author Topic: Just need some support  (Read 5913 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Just need some support
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 13:35:11 pm »
More hugs for today xxx
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

binxyboo

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 17:30:48 pm »
First of all, gentle hugs to you. You sound like a truly wonderful, caring Mommy. Have any of the LC's recommended the SNS? I used this with my second and third child for the first few weeks, and while I still had to pump, at least all feeding was done at the breast, so I didn't have bottles to worry about. It might really help. Also, I watched this video featuring the asymmetrical latch that Dr. Jack Newman recommends before every feed for a week when I was feeding my second. I really credit this latch for saving my bf relationship with Kate. It can feel a bit awkward at first, but it becomes second nature in no time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO5ZDKynaD0 Please keep us posted as to how you are getting on x

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 20:37:26 pm »
So the LC came today and while we had great success I am more confused than ever.

We were able to successfully get her to latch (yay!) but it was literally a 2 person job with the help of the nipple  shield and the LC using a syringe to dribble milk over the breast to get her actively sucking.  DH has tried this several times on our own with little success.  This is all fine and well but I am 1 person with 2 hands.  I can't hold the baby, compress my breast, and dribble milk down myself on my own every day.  I know this is just a means to an end but there is no way for me to even attempt this on my own.

Regardless, she latched and was actively sucking and the LC said she could see her swallowing so she was getting milk.  I asked her how long we should stay doing this and she advised that if DD was not done yet she would let me know.  So I kept feeding her alternating breasts...for 2hrs!!! Every time she came off or I switched sides she rooted like crazy and cried for the breast and would frantically reattach.  I know she was getting milk because I felt my breasts get softer, but 2hrs of this!? My nipples were sore and I just couldn't do it any longer, but she was still obviously starving...screaming so hard she couldn't breathe and rooting, so I topped her up (which probably erased all the work we did today) and she guzzled back a whole bottle in about 3mins flat.  So what gives? I know my supply is not stellar because I've been relying on the pump to keep it going, but it's like she got nothing, even though I know she did.  Half of that time she was feeding the LC was here, so we were doing it right, but how could she possible have been so hungry?? I have no freaking idea what I'm doing :(. This is all so foreign to me I feel so over my head.

This day has worn me out.  I've done nothing but bottle feed, wash/sterilize bottles, breastfeed and pump all day long.  It's 4pm and the only thing I've managed to get into my own stomach is a cup of tea.  I can't go on like this, I'm not even enjoying my baby anymore.  I just rocked her to sleep, the poor mite was so utterly exhausted.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 20:44:08 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 21:15:45 pm »
That is definitely on the spectrum of normal behaviour for a 1 week old :)  I can categorically say she got lots and she was working on supply and enjoying suckling. 

Brilliant that she latched, brilliant that she loved it (2 hrs!!) Did you use the same method every time to encourage her?   Now that she's been tempted to do it, perhaps the dribbling won't be necessary every time? Will LC come back? Can you phone her and talk through how to?  Sounds like you need hands to hold - and hands to do other things like feed you - you could mention to DH that this is his department right now.

Do you always use the same hold? Sometimes it helps to switch it up a bit (as Michelle mentioned). Dangling feeding can work well for tricky feeders.

If you've sore nipples (normal too), lansinoh cream is good, but the absolute stellar product in my experience are Multi-Mam Compresses, they feel amazing and really speed up healing if needed.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Mam-Compresses-Intensive-Treatment-Breast-Feeding/dp/B005KJ3DSC/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1450300466&sr=1-2&keywords=multimam+compress

((hugs)) I'm sure you're shattered.  You're doing an amazing job. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 21:39:18 pm »
LC will be back on Friday.  I should mention that DH has been amazing when he's home, either occupying DS so I can focus on feeding, helping me feed, or putting me to bed early and giving DD a bottle of pumped milk so I can get a decent stretch of sleep.  He is however back to work so during the day I am home solo.

It's good to know that this is normal behavior.  Sorry for being so whiny I just felt like a slave to feeding all day which I totally get it normal, it's just hard to manage logistically right now because we are in between breast and bottle. i have to go out tomorrow and I'm nervous about how to manage feeding her enough before I go out if she is still starving after taking the breast.  I am also worried that topping her up is undoing everything I've done. 

With the LC we really did nothing different that I'd already been doing...maybe persisted with dribbling the milk over the breast a little longer but that's about it...again, not something that I was able to do on my own during the day.  She did say she thought my shield was too big so she gave me another one to try.  I was doing the cradle hold but we have also used football and lying down on my side.  Cradle worked today.  I do have cream for my breast so will be using that to get some relief.

I guess we'll see how the next feed goes.  It will be more chaotic with DS here, especially if she wants to hang out on the boob for another 2hrs. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 22:20:17 pm »
So, so happy for you that she got that great feed in! Well done. It will get easier.

I'd definitely look I to a SNS so you aren't having to bottle feed as well and can wean it off eventually if you can get her latching regularly.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 22:23:37 pm »
Sorry, SNS?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 22:26:04 pm »
Supplemental Nursing System. A small tube you tape to your nipple so LO gets milk via the tube from a bag whilst nursing. It encourages them to nurse even when there isn't a huge amount of milk there to start with. Adoptive mothers often use them too.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 00:43:25 am »
Okay the LC brought something similar, it was a tube attached to a syringe that she used to dribble milk on the breast to encourage sucking.

So I had another successful BF tonight using the shield and DH to put milk on the breast.  She seemed much more settled afterwards and drifted off to sleep so I didn't top her up.  Not sure if she was full from the previous top-up bottle or if she got enough from the breast this time, it's anyone's guess.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do tomorrow.  DH can help me through the night but tomorrow I'll be on my own and add to that the fact that I have to go to the city...I'm barely BFing successfully at home with support let alone in public on my own.  Really not sure how this is going to work.

binxyboo

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 01:28:49 am »
With the SNS, milk is in a bottle connected to the tube, so all feeding is done at the breast.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:33 am »
Yes it was like that, the tube was on my breast and she would push the milk from the syringe through the tube and onto the breast and DD would then latch. 

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 02:39:53 am »
(((hugs))), (((hugs))) and more (((hugs))). You are doing the best that you can and that's all your LO needs!

I have a silly little bit of advice that may help reduce a bit of stress. My grandma was a pediatric nurse for years and she is adamant that bottles don't need to be sterilized if only one baby is using them. She says sterilizing is for when bottles are shared, like in a hospital, or when baby is sick and a good wash in hot, soapy water and a rinse in very hot water or a run through the dishwasher is good enough. If you're comfortable with that, it would at least take one small thing off your to-do list each day.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline ljperkins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 03:42:05 am »
Hi Lindsay,
You are doing awesome momma and are really trying everything you can. I applaud you for really sticking with this and trying your hardest. I would really encourage seeing a chiropractor that is trained in pediatrics. I have taken DS to my chiro and has helped a lot plus she is trained in cranio-sacral which infants respond really well. In my breastfeeding class there were quite a few moms that had latch issues but was resolved with my chiropractor. Hang in there and sending love and support your way.

Lindsey

Offline weaver

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 09:09:54 am »
Simple thing to support supply - eat oats! Really it works, and you can also take fenugreek but the oats you probably have to hand.

Yay for that evening feed, well done baby and mama!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline weaver

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 21:53:25 pm »
Dropping off hugs Lindsay. Hope you will have more support over the weekend and things will look good for you and baby Nora.

Please remember that most mothers are feeling pretty tired by end of week 1-2, without the challenges you have faced, so go easy in yourself and go to bed if you can.