Author Topic: Need opinions: keep trying DF or let him wake on his own?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Alexian28

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Need opinions: keep trying DF or let him wake on his own?
« on: December 23, 2015, 16:10:00 pm »
First I have to say how incredibly helpful this page was with my daughter and I'm so excited to be back with my son, except successfully BF this time!

My son is 2 weeks old and I've tried doing the DF the last few nights. He refuses (just like sister did). Left to his own devices he'll wake at midnight and 2:30 am to eat, take a full feed @ 15 min or so, then sleep till 6-6:30 when we start our day, assuming he goes back to sleep, still working on that part some nights. I know the book recommends trying a week to implement DF. Should i keep plugging away? It doesn't save me any sleep either way because I'm asleep by 9, so it doesn't matter to me whether I wake at 10, 11, or midnight. However it is exhausting to wake at 10 and try to do the DF every 15 min or so till 11, give up and go back to sleep, just to wake an hour later to feed him.
3 year old DD with special needs
DS born 12/11/2015

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Need opinions: keep trying DF or let him wake on his own?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 16:33:06 pm »
I would leave him to wake, myself. I'm like you in that I want to get to bed early to get enough sleep, and leaving DS2 to wake of his own accord seems to work better. Plus there are so many growth spurts around this age that we've started cluster feeding in the evening so I'd basically never sleep!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 17:15:38 pm »
I prefer to go to bed early myself and let LO wake on her own accord.  If he's refused for a few nights, I probably wouldn't bother.  You could always try again when he's a little older and see if he takes to it better.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 19:09:02 pm »
I think 2 weeks is quite early to tell either way. I'd leave it for now and have another go introducing around the 5/6 week mark if you want to.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Alexian28

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 22:46:59 pm »
Thank you! I'll wait a few weeks and try again.
3 year old DD with special needs
DS born 12/11/2015