Author Topic: Calling my fellow low supply/small baby mamas! Support  (Read 1438 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
Calling my fellow low supply/small baby mamas! Support
« on: December 30, 2015, 16:50:25 pm »
Hoping to hear from other moms with small babies and/or low supply! Some days I feel like most BFing mothers I hear from are the ones with big, rapidly growing babies and an abundance of milk, pumping 6-8 ounces (or more!) at a time, kid gaining a pound a week, etc. Meanwhile here I am feeling like a rock star if I manage to pump 4 ounces at a time (usually around three) with my little 10th percentile baby.

Numbers aside, my boy is healthy and growing well (he was a preemie so 10th percentile for weight is actually pretty good - he was 5th at his 3 month checkup and his height shot up from the 50th to the 65th percentile during the same period!) and I make enough for him, he just nurses a bit more often. I feel like maybe I just don't produce as quickly, or don't have as much storage capacity, or something? Who knows.

Putting the call out to other moms in the same boat so we can keep from getting discouraged when it seems like other moms are milk machines!

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Calling my fellow low supply/small baby mamas! Support
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 18:04:28 pm »
Hi there! I've had supply issues since DD2 was born... Mostly because she is tongue tied.

I have worked so hard for her to follow her curve but for the past 5 weeks she has gained nothing! I know it can be normal once they start crawling but still worrisome.

My supply keeps dipping and then I have to pump like crazy to get it back up but it never lasts!

(((Hugs)))
Elise

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Calling my fellow low supply/small baby mamas! Support
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 19:49:55 pm »
It could definitely be a storage capacity thing and that is nkthing to worry about. There is some helpful info on Kellymom about it. There is also a useful info graphic here http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/2014/1/17/infographic-on-breast-storage-capacity.html

Sounds like you're doing just fine.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011