Author Topic: Reducing NF for 8 mo Old  (Read 6288 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Reducing NF for 8 mo Old
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 21:02:45 pm »
Yes I would say you are the prop and nursing is the prop. He is used to you being there co-sleeping and having constant access to the breast whenever he wakes.

I would look at putting him in his own bed to sleep after he falls asleep on the boob Then work on getting him in bed a little more awake each time with a view to putting him down awake so he learns to go to sleep in the cot without the breast. So yes a kind of gradual withdrawal.

Or the other option is to go straight to putting him the cot awake after your wind down and to then do PUPD. That would involve more crying and be harder on both of you seeing as he has had so much contact at night up until now. It might yield quicker results though so it depends how quickly you want better sleep versus how easy you want this to be on your LO. I'd go for the GW.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 22:25:33 pm »
I can definitely work on the gradual withdrawal as his sleep isn't horrendous so I don't mind doing it gradually. Plus he self soothes for naps in the crib so I really just need to transfer it to bedtime. I know he's capable as I have seen him put himself back to sleep before.
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 22:26:52 pm »
FX. Let us know how it goes.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 02:50:22 am »
Will do when DS is feeling better.  ;) He caught a bug and has been ill since yesterday so for now just going with the flow and following cues.
Jennifer xx

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 15:22:25 pm »
I just wanted to pop in and say you're not alone. Wet just wenT through some similar stuff with our almost 9.5 month old.   Keep in mind there is a sleep regression around 8 month. I was trying to adjust things and his night wakings went crazy. They went back to normal after 2 weeks. We are now dropping night feeds. I'm choosing the feed and nurse for a minute less every few nights. He's doing great. I've accepted the 5am feed will be the last to go. 

We also offer a bottle (or sippy cup) of ebm frequently throughout the day, with solids, in between feeds. My first was a major snacker, so are myself and husband, so I don't mind I'd I created a snacking habit!  I try to pound the calories into him. Last night was our first night ever he slept through some feeds, woke at 5, feed, and asleep again until 7:30.  I hope I can repeat this!!

You'll get there too. It's not quick unfortunately but you'll make it.

Anyways, just wanted to offer my support as we are in very similar boats!  Goodluck

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 21:47:39 pm »
Thank you so much Baby_Mama!!

I truly appreciate the encouragement as sometimes it can feel daunting. I like the gradual approach that you and another mama mentioned on here about gradually reducing the time of nursing. We are definitely at two night feeds. The first is about 4 hours after bedtime then we have a middle of the night feed that ranges in when it is. He takes full feeds and goes back to sleep.

I think we are experiencing a bit of a regression so I'm trying to stay patient as I know it isn't easy for them. He's also learning a lot of new tricks like standing and cruising as well as sitting up alone. Needless to say he is very active! I'm steadily increasing solids. I will offer more BM though. Do you pump for the sippy cups? When is ideal so that DS can still get a good feed. I thought about giving him formula with solids as well. Right now I give water or another top up if it seeks he wasn't as interested in solids.
Jennifer xx

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 05:16:06 am »
We had very similar feeds, one around 12 and 3-4, since gradually reducing, I got down to 5 minutes at the 12 and he started sleeping through that one. But I fear nite now after things seem to be going well that his sister is sick which will soon mean him too, and I can tell a tooth is in our near future, so who knows!!

I do pump for the bottle/sippy cup. I have a pretty good freezer stash at the moment but I have also been cursed and blessed (yes both!) with a milk oversupply so I am able to easily pump large amounts after bed in the evening or when he's napping (feeds only 1 side before nap).  Saying that, my freezer stash is getting smaller and I plan on either introducing formula or coconut milk (slight dairy sensitivity) for his bottle/sippy cup feeds depending on how close to 12 months we make it!

I hope this helps. It's hard, my first dropped all night feeds herself at 6 months and slept straight through, so this whole process is very new to me! 

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 17:18:19 pm »
It definitely helps especially since it sounds like our LOs have the same eating habits!

I think because I don't have an oversupply I'll try to introduce formula in a cup. I don't mind breastfeeding again; however, I am looking to wean around 12 months so this may be a good time to get him used to drinking more out of a cup.  ;)
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 13:40:17 pm »
Question: my DS has a cold; no fever but still has a bad cough (for about 5 days now), did you find that your LOs wanted to nurse more. He's not eating as much solids and nursing more. We were on 2 night but picked up a third NF again. Should I just let him since maybe he's not getting enough in the day in terms of calories? When he rejects solids, I nurse him again but when he eats a little bit I don't.  I want to work on dropping night feeds but also don't want to neglect him if he's really hungry.
Jennifer xx

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 21:46:53 pm »
If he's ill, i would go ahead and feed him, with a cough, his throat might be dry, there are a zillion reasons a feed overnight might be needed with a cold.  Actually, I found BFing really helped us through teething :) because it was so soothing for them.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 21:53:59 pm »
Same here! Basically anytime he has felt poorly either by cold or teething...nursing is his go to magic key  :)

ok then! I can work on reducing feeds when that cough is gone. When should I call the doctor again? His cough is very phelgm filled and he sometimes gags from it. I already had him checked out when he first got sick. But I'm wondering at what point should I be concerned about his cough and cold?
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 22:55:30 pm »
Yes I'd definitely allow more feeds during illness. I hope he feels better soon.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 23:29:16 pm »
Thank you! I'm sure I'll be back for support should I need help night weaning  :)
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 13:50:57 pm »
Hi ladies: I was wondering have your Los ever picked up a morning feed only to wake up an hour later? DS will do this between 5-6:30 but be up by around 7-7:30. I feed since he has a cold then I wait a little and feed again. It does throw his feeding times off a bit...just wondering if you have experienced this how did you handle it?

Thank you again!
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 22:57:07 pm »
Yes, all of mine did this ew for a BF and then back to sleep for 1.5 hrs or so. I either offered a top up feed at morning wu or, as they got older, I just went straight to breakfast.