Author Topic: Question for my bf sil  (Read 1465 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Question for my bf sil
« on: March 01, 2016, 16:42:08 pm »
Her ds is 3 weeks old and gassy. I told her I'd cut dairy since that was my ds issue and it helped tremendously. She said her pediatrician said as long as there isn't blood in his stool its not anything she's eating causing his gas.....this struck me as weird...right? I mean I'm not questioning the doctor but I though everything we eat and drinkngets passed to them. Shge told her to use mylicon and gripe water. Just wondering what y'all thought.

[/url]

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 16:54:39 pm »
My DS1 had MSPI and the blood did not appear in his stool til he was 2 months.

Offline 1stimer

Re: Question for my bf sil
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 17:49:40 pm »
I never got to the bloody stools part because I cut out dairy and eventually soy at around three to four weeks. I guess I just thought it was strange that her doctor would rather seemingly wait until there's blood in the stool to try and help and just treat with meds until then. I don't know...I'd rather do what I can first and avoid meds, even pretty basic ones for gas

[/url]

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 18:40:19 pm »
DS2 was gassy at first and we used gripe water, but then he grew out of it. I guess the doc wants to wait and see? Cutting dairy would have been a huge deal for me since I'm veggie, so that approach felt right.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 20:21:09 pm »
It's normal for a baby to be gassy- doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong. If it's not a big deal for her to cut out dairy then I can't see the problem with doing a trial. I found being dairy free while nursing to be extremely difficult. I was always hungry and lost tons of weight and there was so much that I wasn't allowed to eat.
Looking back I realized that DS1 had green unhealthy looking stools before the blood showed up. But he was my first and I didn't know the difference. It was only afterwards that I realized the screaming, gas, green stools and blood were all related. Many people cut out food groups from their diet unnecessarily for the sake of bf. It could be her doctor is coming from that viewpoint.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 20:38:33 pm »
Yeah I can totally see that view point. I told her to pay attention to what she is eating and then see if it affects him. I explained that new babies are naturally gassy with their systems figuring it all out but I don't think that was much comfort understandably lol. I guess what I found weird is her saying the did didn't think anything she atewiulkd affect him unless he had bloody stools. She's like me and loves her dairy but she was planning on cutting it out just to see if it helped since the gas strips aren't helping. My ds was so sensitive to everything I ate it seemed....I had to cut out alot so I'm hoping she won't. I didn't get the massive weight loss since my thyroid is super under active though ( grrrr!!! Lol)

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 22:31:45 pm »
I hope it helps her lo
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011