Author Topic: Preparing for weaning  (Read 11592 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Preparing for weaning
« on: March 07, 2016, 20:07:33 pm »
I don't want to do it  ::) but it will come around very quickly so I thought I'd trundle along and get a few bits in the freezer.

I'll give him fruit and veg sticks, cheese, toast etc but want to take more of a blw approach than I did before and so am learning, and a bit unsure of what I'm doing. When in this kind of  situation, I prepare!

I'd like to make up a few things we can all eat, using them as meals for us now and as a little stash for baby to supplement the easy stuff I can just pull from the fridge/cupboard.

So far I have:
Salmon bites that DS1 made and then decided he didn't like
Loaded baby potatoes (recipe from baby led feeding website)
Red pepper and goat's cheese mini quiches

I'm making some smooth pasta sauce this week and I've seen a recipe for home made baked beans.

I'd like to make something sweet, too. Do banana pancakes sound good? Is there a particularly nice mini muffin recipe somewhere? We have lots of apples that DH canned last autumn, all our own and organic etc, they would be fab and easy to plonk into a batch of something.

I also have bits of fruit from the garden still in the freezer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 20:35:22 pm by MJ&N »
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Preparing for weaning
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:17:13 am »
these are great, super easy, and freeze really well:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/turkey-mini-meatloaves-for-babies-and.html

You can make 100s of them (nearly :P) from a pack of turkey mince and then just defrost however many you need each time.

I usually serve them with some home-made tomato and veg (e.g. carrots, peppers, courgettes..) sauce and either pasta or cous cous.

she has loads of other lovely ideas too (and used to post on these forums as lemonandthyme, if you remember her?), including these muffins:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=+muffin

I've only tried one of her savoury ones, so can't recommend a sweet one in particular, but some do look v yummy.

Just thinking of the top of my head, what about roasting some peppers chopped into slices? They would probably freeze and reheat quite well, and would be v quick and easy to do. 

How about casseroles, curries, tagines, bolognese?  They are great to cook in bulk and freeze.  The river cottage baby and toddler cookbook has a great lamb curry recipe.  DD2 wasn't really interested in solids much until we gave her that!  Then she realised that food can actually be quite tasty!  Actually, the RCB&TC has loads of great recipes, for the whole family - I'd really recommend it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Cottage-Baby-Toddler-Cookbook/dp/1408807564/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457432211&sr=1-1&keywords=river+cottage+baby+and+toddler
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:08:59 am »
How does a baby eat things like curry by himself? I feel a bit clueless on blw!

That book looks fab. I need some meaty things as I don't cook much meat (usually dh's job) and it would be good to have some new dishes to offer DS1. I'll take a look!

Offline cath~

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:38:17 am »
I didn't do BLW, just offered things like curry on a spoon/fork.

I guess really saucy things would be tricky with BLW :-\ - maybe you'd need to give him something to dip in it (naan, chapati, roti..?) to get all the sauce?  With bits of meat though I guess he could pick them up with his fingers?  And even rice too (although much less mess with a spoon!)?

Perhaps some one with some real BLW experience can advise!

DD2 was particularly lazy/crazy actually and didn't pick up and eat any food herself until she was 9 months! (felt like ages at the time!) :o  So with finger foods, for example, I held them out for her in front of her mouth, and she'd lean forward and eat/bite them from my hand/fingers ::)  (same kind of thing with a spoon for other foods too).  No idea why she didn't want to pick anything up herself.  Even if I left her to it for a few minutes, she still never picked up any food herself!  She just waited for me to come back and offer it to her. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:54:30 am »
Ahhh, cute! And frustrating?

I'm going to take things as they come, take what seems like a sensible approach at the time. It would be nice if he could feed himself a bit, but if he wants feeding then I'm sure DS1 will help.

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:14:03 pm »
if he wants feeding then I'm sure DS1 will help.
yes, DD1 loved to feed DD2.  She was so excited to be able to do that!  Sometimes DD2 still asks DD1 to feed her now and usually DD1 is more than happy to oblige :)  I have a really cute video of DD1 feeding DD2 when she was just starting on solids.

Ahhh, cute! And frustrating?
yeah, cute for a bit.  But then just mostly frustrating!  Surely the whole point of finger foods is so the parent doesn't have to do all the feeding, right? ;) :P
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »
Right!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 19:40:40 pm »
Ooh how exciting!

Things like curry or stews I used to make them (salt free, no stock cube or just a tiny bit of one) and then when I served up for DS I took a minute to separate the various veggies into easily recognisable piles, this did a few things, it drained some of the gravy/sauce so the lumps/wedges were easier to pick up with fingers or fork, it helped him feel he recognised the food so didn't feel 'scared' or 'over faced' with lots of stuff mixed up, and it helped him to learn what each item was very quickly.  Stews of various sorts was one of DS's favs, I purposely cut up larger chunks/wedges than I would have if it had just been us which made it easier to pick out the big bits once cooked and easier for him to pick up.

In the very very early days (I do only mean days though not weeks) DS kind of screamed at me to feed him. TBH I think the expectation came from me being the provider of food, ie giving him the bottle, so it took a bit of explaining that he could/would/should have a go himself.  he loved solids so much, if he couldn't get the food to his mouth fast enough there could be some upset so in those cases I held a piece in front of him and he pulled my hand to his mouth to eat it, he still had control so this is "baby-led" in my book.  anyway he very quickly realised self feeding was great and got stuck in. I introduced a plastic fork at about 7 months which was very handy, we didn't use a spoon until much later.  I used those quick sharp small forks like you would get in an shop bought salad or fruit salad bowl (yk the lunch type stuff) rather than those chunky baby forks which didn't see to actually stab anything so seemed pointless.

The stuff I froze were loads of different types of pancake (banana, sultana or other dried or fresh fruit such as grated apple) veggie pancakes (same thing but grated carrot or any left over veg from another meal to use it up), bean or lentil burgers/patties (again added veg that needed using up), mini muffins (banana, carrot, sweet potato and sultana), and oaty chews.
There's a recipe for oaty chews (and muffins) on the recipe thread if you whizz the oats and dried fruit they turn out pretty much the same as the shop bought baby oat bars, although probably less fruit sugar tbh.  We used lots of those for out and about snacks.
chick pea cupcakes is one I made when DS was much older, very tasty, mainly chickpeas and lots of eggs...hmmm, the recipe might have honey in it so you wouldn’t want to add that, perhaps switch for banana to sweeten and add some wetness.

If there is a baby first aid course you can go to before you start you may feel more confident, or perhaps you've already done one.  I only managed to attend half of mine as DS didn’t settle in the creche but in that short time I learned how to handle a choke which made me feel more confident.

Oh, also in terms of 'how do they eat things like...' with mashed potato you can roll it into balls or lumps to pick up.  I did this with baby muesli so he could have cereal but self feed, very easy to pick up.

I probably wouldn't freeze or prep too much in advance as you'll find LO is eating your family meals very quickly, if not right away. Things you might need separately will be out and about foods and snacks.  For a good while I took additional pieces of food if we went to a restaurant so that DS's veg was steamed salt free but we'd give him a bit of our meal too.

:)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 19:50:17 pm »
Thanks creations :)

I think having lunch and breakfast stuff I can pull out of the freezer is good, plus I do love my batch cooking and therefore avoidance of cooking on other nights!

Pasta sauce done, I'm tempted by your veg pancake idea too. Grated veggies, eggs and flour? Cottage cheese might be nice, too.

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 20:04:19 pm »
Grated veggies, eggs and flour?
Basically yes. All our pancakes were the American/Scotch type, little and fat, yk? More substantial for picking up.  I don't really know which recipe I used to get going but in the end I just threw stuff together.  Mama cook has a recipe here for apple pancakes with quantities:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/pancakes-and-toys-returned-to-pram.html
(I'm sure there are recipes on our own recipe threads too) some milk, baking powder.  you could use grated veggies as you said or use up pre-cooked veggies by whizzing them through the batter - or both for double hit veg :)

Breakfast ideas - muffins, oat chews etc of course, also...
Do you eat porridge?  there's a recipe for porridge fingers which was very popular for a time, basically oats cooked in the microwave then sliced into bars/fingers for finger food. Never tried it myself but sounds good.
Mine liked omelete, I used the little one-egg pan, brilliant, once I folded the omelet in half and let it 'set' (I cooked a bit longer than I would for an adult) it made a decent thickness of egg to slice into fingers or big chunks for picking up without falling apart.

lunch -
I wonder if fritata freezes well? mamacook had a fritata type recipe my DS liked so much he ate all his then mine!  she did individual portions in ramekins which cooked quickly.
savoury scones? spinach and feta?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 20:23:58 pm »
I do love a cheese scone!

Meaty things, could I whizz up some cooked chicken or something to go into a pancake? Actually that sounds revolving!!!

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 21:03:49 pm »
lol I don't think I like the sound of whizzed chicken pancake myself!
What about mini pasties? probably very messy to eat though, ok for at home but perhaps not out and about.
Those little turkey meat loaves cath linked are a good idea though. I used to make similar with beans and lentils rather than meat but did make some meat balls a few times. DS wasn't a big meat fan tbh.  He liked sausages because they are smoother than ground meat - butchers real butchers will some times make you a batch of sausages to your spec so you can ask for no salt, what sort of meat etc. I did whizz some raw chicken breast once or twice and made those into patties.

DS chomped down on a big hunk of roast beef in a restaurant at 6 months there was pretty much nothing left by the time he put it down, no need for teeth!  He likes slow cooked meats, pulled pork, lamb shank the really soft stuff.  Chicken breast is very soft if boiled and takes very little time, those little mini fillets might be worth a look as you could freeze them individually?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 21:24:41 pm »
"How do they eat it?" With their hands, generally. Look on YouTube for BLW lasagne!

Honestly keep it all v simple. It's nice to have special things for him but you don't have to. Simple unprocessed fruit, veg etc might even be best as he can readily identify what it is he is eating. Just don't feel under pressure to prepare lots of things just for him. Fine if you want to but one of the nice thibgs about BLW is that the whole family can eat the same meal.

River Cottage baby and toddler book is very good, great introduction, strong on BLW.  And seasonal so I think would suit your way of cooking and eating.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 07:40:35 am »
Thanks, I feel like I have no clue here! Sure it will all become clear in time.

Offline creations

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:38 am »
Look on YouTube for BLW lasagne!
I ended up having home-movie-fest last night, watching some of DS's first meals. I was laughing hard!!  Also astonished at just how much food I served and how much he ate, there was no playing or tasting for my boy he had serious plans on *eating*.

It's a good idea though to watch some videos, get you in the spirit.  The spaghetti films are often worth a laugh. I didn't/couldn't serve DS spag because it was too difficult to pick up and eat, as I said he was a serious eater, I used spiralli or other shaped pasta for it's gripability.  I did try spaghetti of course, for the amusement factor, it just turned out not to be amusing because DS was screaming in frustration that he wanted proper dinner, in his mouth, NOW.